Open Letter To U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
To U2

I am one of your biggest fans. I know you'll in all likelyhood never see or read this, as I'm sure you have an infinite number of better things to do than sit around reading posts on a message board dedicated to yourselves. But I felt like writing this anyway.

I think you, as a band, are at a fork in the road in your career. On your right, is an arrow-sign with 'Rollingstonesville' written on it. On your left, is an arrow-sign with '?' written on it. It is up to you to decide whether you will make records like ATYCLB and/or HTDAAB for the rest of your career, playing it safe, ala the Rolling Stones, or whether you will venture into the unknown -- which is the reality of a 3-decade-old band still putting as much sweat and tears and courage and soul into their records as they did when they were younger. It's not that the past two records are bad. It's really not. They're good. Very good, even. I like 'Beautiful Day' and 'Walk On' and 'Kite' and 'Vertigo' and 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' and 'Love And Peace Or Else' and 'City Of Blinding Lights' and 'Original Of The Species' as much as the next person on this forum does. They're well-written, enjoyable, sometimes even infectious songs. But they're not challenging. These songs don't make one think as much as your previous work does. I am well aware that America, where I live, is the so-called ADD society where more people than not don't want to have to think to enjoy their entertainment. But that is their problem, not yours.

Bono, you made a statement around the release of the 'Pop' album that was quoted in an issue of U2's Propaganda magazine at the time and subsequently made it into the 'Best Of Propaganda' book. I am going to quote it now:

"When people pick out The Joshua Tree, what they mean is why don't you make something as accessible as that. And that's not our job, it's never been the job of a rock and roll band, if people want just melodic music there are other places they can go...occasionally you make a record like that and there are songs on POP that are great in that respect but that's not our reason to be. There is a clear deal that we have with people who buy our records and that is, here's a shitload of money, you won't have to worry about where you're going to buy your shoes or what food is on the table...but in return all we want is you to be fucking brave and a bit brilliant. I think that's the deal. The day we bow down to commercial pressure or sell ourselves out - by that I mean don't do the work that we actually want to do - will be a very sad day."

And this is another statement of yours taken from U2's 'VH1 Legends':

"I don't wanna be in a crap band, and the minute U2 becomes a crap band, we're, you know, we're all out of here. And crap does not mean, it's not measured in sales, or even relevance, it's about the sense of adventure, is it still there, are you still blowing your own mind, are you still growing as a musician, and as a songwriter, and as a person, and I think, I think that in U2 we are, right now."

Now, there's always the possibility the work you and the band did on ATYCLB and HTDAAB IS the work that you actually want to do and that that it IS still blowing your own minds. If that is the case, you can stop reading right now. But I am a little skeptical of it.

Don't get the wrong idea here - contrary to increasingly popular belief, I don't think you have really sold out for real yet. I really don't. The IPod thing was a music video for which you didn't take any money and that's it. And songs like 'Peace On Earth', 'Grace', 'A Man And A Woman' and 'One Step Closer' certainly don't sound like a band selling themselves out to me. However, songs like 'Beautiful Day', 'Stuck In A Moment', 'Elevation', 'Vertigo', 'City Of Blinding Lights', and 'All Because Of You' do have a certain 'Let's get on the radio' factor to them. They seem to be very chorus/hook heavy and lacking the kind of buildup that you guys are so famous for in your music. So, while I don't think you've really sold out yet, I think you're too close to it for comfort - my comfort, at least.

I think one of the things that made U2 so amazing and so unique was the fact that you were a band that could rival the Rolling Stones in how big you were, yet you had certain aspects of the Indie attitude. No, you didn't have the snobbish 'Big bands have no credibilty' BS going on - you always wanted to be the biggest and the best - but you did have the aspect of the Indie attitude that has to do with not wanting to sound like anyone else. Just wanting to sound different, and wanting that difference to be your sound. Having that attitude while being arguably the biggest band in the entire universe is what made you so fucking great and amazing as a band. And I don't think it's gone(no pun intended) yet, but I think it just might be eroding. Correct if I'm wrong. If I'm right, though, I implore you to stop that erosion before it's too late. I believe you still have it within you, all four of you, to make something amazing.

And that does NOT mean that I want you to make another 'Pop' or another 'Achtung Baby'. It does not mean that at all. What it means is that I want you to take that desire to sound unique to everyone else, and use it to make something that none of us can even imagine right now. Hang on to that desire to make something that none of us can even imagine right now. Hang on to it. And use to make something that will blow our minds. Maybe even blow your mind, Bono.

It is with those words that I leave you at the proverbial fork in the road. And the question that I think you need to ask yourselves here is a cliched one but I think it is the neccessary one: Is it better to burn out or to fade away? If you want to fade away, go down the road on your right to Rollingstonesville. If you want to tackle the unknown and maybe blow some minds in the process, go down the road on your left to ? On the one hand you can keep making records that you know will sell, good records with good songs but no challenge and no mindblowing - but it's not like you need the money and it's not like anyone's going to forget who U2 is. On the other you can go down the road yet unknown, the road of a three-decade-old band refraining from becoming a nostalgia act. Your success may not be guaranteed there. You may try something and it might be a big success or you might try something and fall on your face. But either way, you will have at least tried something rather than doing what you know you can do in your sleep. Obviously you guys are going to do whatever you want to do, and I can't speak for every U2 fan out there, but I for one would rather see you attempt to blow our minds again and fall on your face and burn out in the process than see you slowly fade away and become like Mick and Keith, 65 years old, shadows, caricatures of their former selves, and from time-to-time a late-night talk show punchline. Burning out isn't something to be ashamed of, anyway. The Beatles burned out. Pink Floyd burned out. You'd be in good company - and that's only IF you burned out.

So you can stop wearing the glasses and the beanies and all that. The materialistic stuff doesn't excite anymore. But your music still can. I truely believe that. We, the people who buy your records, are giving you a shitload of money. So be fucking brave and a bit brilliant, U2. I know you have it in you. And I know I'm far from being the only fan who believes that.

Yours Truely, One Of Your Biggest Fans
namkcuR

Last edited:
yes namkcuR because U2 are making music just for you,

on the other hand i wouldnt mind another album in the vain of atyclb and htaab, you know like you had achtung, zooropa, and pop?

Let the games begin in this thread.....

PS..Any tickets you may have, I'll take them I'll assume you won't be using them..

one4u2 said:
Let the games begin in this thread.....

PS..Any tickets you may have, I'll take them I'll assume you won't be using them..
no dont your not allowed to say that, because he is still a "big" fan

i love the way he wants U2 to change, but dosent mention the fact that millions actually like the last 2 albums, but they dont count in his post

and all because of you having a radio factor :| well i cant remember the last time i heard a song like it on the radio here in the UK

:yawn:

same shit, different decade.

If you want to know my feelings on this, check out my location :wink: seriously I feel kinda bad for the people that think U2 are losing it or whatever...and I am almost completely certain U2 will experiment again, I know Larry of all people has said it before. Trust me, I want U2 to blow my mind as much as you. I want an entirely new sound too. It will come in time. However as far as I'm concerned U2 is making brilliant music now as much as ever. HTDAAB is tied with JT and Zooropa for my third favourite album. U2 aren't selling out now anymore than they were in 1987.

"The day we bow down to commercial pressure or sell ourselves out - by that I mean don't do the work that we actually want to do - will be a very sad day."

Therein lies the problem in your arguement. There's nothing to suggest U2 aren't making the music they want to make. Unlike Pop, U2 seems perfectly satisfied with this album. It's some of the fans that aren't satisfied. Of course, who knows what U2 will say about HTDAAB 5 years from now, but currently they seem to think it's one of their best albums, and I agree with them.

And this is coming from someone who thinks Pop is the greatest thing ever to exist.

AtomicBono said:
:yawn:

same shit, different decade.

If you want to know my feelings on this, check out my location :wink: seriously I feel kinda bad for the people that think U2 are losing it or whatever...and I am almost completely certain U2 will experiment again, I know Larry of all people has said it before. Trust me, I want U2 to blow my mind as much as you. I want an entirely new sound too. It will come in time. However as far as I'm concerned U2 is making brilliant music now as much as ever. HTDAAB is tied with JT and Zooropa for my third favourite album. U2 aren't selling out now anymore than they were in 1987.

"The day we bow down to commercial pressure or sell ourselves out - by that I mean don't do the work that we actually want to do - will be a very sad day."

Therein lies the problem in your arguement. There's nothing to suggest U2 aren't making the music they want to make. Unlike Pop, U2 seems perfectly satisfied with this album. It's some of the fans that aren't satisfied. Of course, who knows what U2 will say about HTDAAB 5 years from now, but currently they seem to think it's one of their best albums, and I agree with them.

And this is coming from someone who thinks Pop is the greatest thing ever to exist.
were both just blind followers, and know nothing

:hmm:

It's interesting to see how the usual persons are immediately jumping up and down a person's throat as soon as he bothers to explain how he feels about U2 and their decisions at the moment in a very polite way. But this is their usual behaviour, and we see it each and every day in here - and it is apparently not going to change. It's even more interesting that they complain about things not changing in here at the same time.

On topic: I understand why you don't think that U2 are experimenting at the moment, but since U2 are making some of their best work ever at the moment, IMO, I can personally forgive them this. I'm sure that they *are* going to experiment again as soon as they find the inspiration and get some new ideas - but I would much rather see them do what they're doing now than experimenting just for the sake of experiment. I have a feeling that that was partly what went wrong on POP.

*ahem* The person who started this thread demonstrated his usual anti post-2000 U2 behaviour. This is very much his usual behaviour and it's not going to change.

Interesting how people liking and sticking up for that era always get knocked on, by the same people, all the time.

(I didn't see the note saying only people agreeing with the thread should post)

Last edited:
I agree a 100%.

You're so right saying that the new albums aren't challenging. Very good post.

Although...

The Beatles didn't burn out :tsk:

God Part III said:

The Beatles didn't burn out :tsk:

lol, agree :up:. But I think he meant their ability to get along and agree on which road they should take musically. I could be wrong, though.

I just want to know where I ever said I didn't like ATYCLB and HTDAAB in the above post. Or if anyone bothered to read the part where I said they were both good records with good songs, but they just didn't challenge me. Or the part where I specifically said I can't speak for all fans. I wonder how many of the people slamming me bothered to read the whole post.

U2Man said:
:hmm:

It's interesting to see how the usual persons are immediately jumping up and down a person's throat as soon as he bothers to explain how he feels about U2 and their decisions at the moment in a very polite way. But this is their usual behaviour, and we see it each and every day in here - and it is apparently not going to change. It's even more interesting that they complain about things not changing in here at the same time.

On topic: I understand why you don't think that U2 are experimenting at the moment, but since U2 are making some of their best work ever at the moment, IMO, I can personally forgive them this. I'm sure that they *are* going to experiment again as soon as they find the inspiration and get some new ideas - but I would much rather see them do what they're doing now than experimenting just for the sake of experiment. I have a feeling that that was partly what went wrong on POP.
U2man remember when you once said to me, do i have a little radar to tell me to come and post when someone critises the band? well do you have that tell you when someone defends the band, and then you always have to come into the thread to tell the ones that are defending that your against them defending? just curious,

p.s. i thought the original post was a very well written post, but very much the same as namkcuR ALWAYS posts,

I also wonder if anyone saw the part I SPECIFCIALLY SAID that I DO NOT think U2 has sold out yet. I ONLY said that I thought they were closER to it than they have been in the past.

KUEFC09U2 said:
p.s. i thought the original post was a very well written post, but very much the same as namkcuR ALWAYS posts,

And I also wonder why KUEF never posted in the thread I created in WTAHAN last week where I only said POSTIVE things about HTDAAB. Probably because he couldn't jump down my throat there.

I'm still angry at U2 for releasing Pride back in 1984. Talk about radio-ready. It's almost as bad as I Will Follow or New Years Day. 4th of July was the perfect song to "fuck" with mainstream listeners, but they sold out and went with the obvious "BIG CHORUS" hit to appease the masses, and not their own artistic muse.

U2girl said:
(I didn't see the note saying only people agreeing with the thread should post)

I would very much like to see you post here. Believe me. I partly agree, partly disagree with the poster myself, as you can see if you read my post. But sarcastic comments like "How refreshing" or "yes namkcuR because U2 are making music just for you" don't really do much but bringing moods down and antagonizing people (including me). This is a respond to KUEFC09U2, too.

MrBrau1 said:
I'm still angry at U2 for releasing Pride back in 1984. Talk about radio-ready. It's almost as bad as I Will Follow or New Years Day. 4th of July was the perfect song to "fuck" with mainstream listeners, but they sold out and went with the obvious "BIG CHORUS" hit to appease the masses, and not their own artistic muse.

Oh fuck off. I am fairly certain you didn't even take the time to read the whole damn thing - and you're probably not the only one - so I don't know why you feel the need to put your sarcastic musings here.

Bono's shades said:
Someone offers an honest, well-thought-out opinion and gets slammed for it.

No wonder this place has become so boring lately.

Actually it just came off more as rhetoric. The same old tired rhetoric we hear in here everyday...

So I guess its a question of the chicken or the egg thing, what came first to make this place to boring lately.

It really pisses me off that I tried to be constructive and descriptive and all I can get is one-line sarcastic comments or rolleye emoticons. That's really disappointing to me. Especially because you are attacking me for things that, if you had read the whole post, you would know I dispelled all of them in it.

U2Man, I appreciate your comments. I said the Beatles burned out because at the end, they still wanted to evolve and move forward, but that's about all they could agree on. Lennon and McCartney pretty much hated each other at that point. So they stopped being a band. Maybe that's not burning out, I don't know, but it's certainly not fading away.

Great post namkcur :up: It's not necessary to agree with you to realize that you made a great effort and you stated your feelings in a good way, like other people said above me.

But I really don't agree with you. Only because this 90's vs 00's thing means nothing to me, since I like the two decades almost equally. 80's U2 are the decade that stands up for me.

I miss the experimental thing, the "achtung" sound and songs like The Fly, Dirty Day or Until the end of the world but I know I will also miss the great melodies they're making now, great songs like Kite, Walk On, Yahweh, City of Blinding Lights...

Only because I'm a "middle of the road" ;) fan, I like all their phases, I miss them all, and I'll surely like their next phase because they never disappointed me so far.

U2Man said:

I would very much like to see you post here. Believe me. I partly agree, partly disagree with the poster myself, as you can see if you read my post. But sarcastic comments like "How refreshing" or "yes namkcuR because U2 are making music just for you" don't really do much but bringing moods down and antagonizing people (including me). This is a respond to KUEFC09U2, too.

Interestingly you singled out only me and KUEFCO9U2 comments yet as I can see we're not the only ones posting in a non-positive manner.

Bringing moods down? Now you know how people feel when they read the umpteenth "U2 are heading down Stonesville/selling out/suck post 2000" post and thread - ALWAYS by the same people. That's what is causing the sarcastic comments.

I don't see the point of seriously talking with people like that about U2's music (I always liked being told from namkcur I'm silly for thinking Bomb is their third best album, or that I get his pity for not thinking Pop is the best ever U2 album)- no matter what anyone would say they won't change their mind.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Actually it just came off more as rhetoric. The same old tired rhetoric we hear in here everyday...

So I guess its a question of the chicken or the egg thing, what came first to make this place to boring lately.

It wasn't rhetoric. That would insinuate that I just wanted to write something fancy and stir shit up. That wasn't the point at all. I wanted to get opinion out in a detailed and intelligent manner and I was hoping I could generate some intelligent and thought-provoking discussion with it, but I guess that's not happening.

U2girl said:

Interestingly you singled out only me and KUEFCO9U2 comments yet as I can see we're not the only ones posting in a non-positive manner.

Bringing moods down? Now you know how people feel when they read the umpteenth "U2 are heading down Stonesville/selling out/suck post 2000" post and thread - ALWAYS by the same people.

I don't see the point of seriously talking with people like that about U2's music - no matter what anyone would say they won't change their mind.

You really did not read the whole thing, did you? Because I NEVER EVER EVER EVER said that U2 suck post-2000. I went to extreme lengths to say JUST THE OPPOSITE. And I went to extreme lengths to say that I DO NOT think they are selling out. Did you read the whole thing or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom