Open Letter To U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I may respectfully disagree...

I honestly believe Bomb and Behind to be some of U2s most challenging albums yet. Songs like Peace on Earth and Sometimes see to suggest to me that U2 is hitting a new emotional plane.

And so what if they want to introduce a hook quality. I trust U2 not to blindly sell out. If they think they can add a catchy section with out compromising anything, all the more power to them.

Your post seems to suggest that they have retired on the last to albums. That they are not “blowing their minds”. Personally I think the sob in sometimes disproves this. Slane Castle. A post 2000 concert. Personally I think better then ZooTv. I trust Bonos assertion that they will slipt up before they lose that quality that makes them U2. I heard that quality on Bomb and Behind. While I might prefer an era I still recognize that the magic is there and will be.

Is this forum always so cynical, disrespectful and angry on both sides? Not a great face to put on for prospective foumers. :eek:

alas, another thread dissolves into bitterness and bitching...

you raised some good points NamKcuR, but say U2 did radically change their 'sound' of recent records, and it didn't go down too well with Joe Public. would that album then be deemed a crap record as it hasn't sold as well or doesn't have as many hit singles? This is more of a rhetorical question really as i don't think anyone truly can have an answer as nooone can possibly know what could/would happen if U2 went down that route today.

Look at radiohead for example. they went ahead and chnaged their sound, and although they are still hugely popular, their last album(s?) really dont have the clobber of say, OK Computer or The Bends

Although U2 would still no doubt gain some fans from a new album with an 'experimental' sound as well as strenghten many other fans love for the band i think U2 would no doubt lose many of their mainstream audience and that is something neither the band or their record company would be wise to go out n do, hence their 'playing it safe' on the last 2 records.

Im not disagreeing with you here, just for the record i would LOVE to hear a new sound out of my favourite band, but remember, not all of the music buying public are die-hard U2 fans like us and so i doubt that unless this new experimental sound is so unbelievably phenomenal that it blows everyone away, we will probably not be seeing another 'Pop' style record coming out of the band.

@ Princey

But U2 have proven in the past, especially with AB, that they are capable of fully renewing themselves and still making music that goes down well with the general public?

No, that's ok. Rambling is good sometimes :wink:

To give an answer to your question...if U2 tried a new sound and made a record with that sound and it didn't over too well with Joe Public, I suppose some would deem it a crap record. But look at Pop. That's exactly what happened. They tried something new for the record and Joe Public didn't like it because it was too challenging for a mainstream pop audience. The thing is though, I don't mind if U2 loses some fans by making a more challenging record. Of course, like you said, U2 and the record company do care a lot for various reasons. But my answer is that I wouldn't care.

U2Man said:
@ Princey

But U2 have proven in the past, especially with AB, that they are capable of fully renewing themselves and still making music that goes down well with the general public?

like i said, it would have to be something phenomenal...we know U2 are capable of this, but would they risk it when they are onto a financially winning formula?

namkcuR said:

To give an answer to your question...if U2 tried a new sound and made a record with that sound and it didn't over too well with Joe Public, I suppose some would deem it a crap record. But look at Pop. That's exactly what happened. They tried something new for the record and Joe Public didn't like it because it was too challenging for a mainstream pop audience. The thing is though, I don't mind if U2 loses some fans by making a more challenging record. Of course, like you said, U2 and the record company do care a lot for various reasons. But my answer is that I wouldn't care.

To say something is too "chalenging" for mainstream pop audience is alittle off.

People have different conceptions about the role of music in their lives and what they want to listen to.

I dont think BOOM CHA went over many peoples heads. Many people just did not like it.

namkcuR said:

i think i agree with you there, but where as we dont care, i think U2 would. :(

Tarvark said:

To say something is too "chalenging" for mainstream pop audience is alittle off.

People have different conceptions about the role of music in their lives and what they want to listen to.

I dont think BOOM CHA went over many peoples heads. Many people just did not like it.

Oh, I agree about BOOM CHA. Either you like that or you don't.

But I think a song like 'Mofo' or 'Miami' or 'If You Wear...' or 'Please' is more challenging than a lot of people would like to hear.

Princey said:

i think i agree with you there, but where as we dont care, i think U2 would. :(

Which goes to the very root of my original post. U2 are financially set for life. They never have to work again at all if they don't want to. I think this is more about popularity than it is about money. And the question at the root of my post, is that fork in the road: Are you willing to lose some fans to make a challenging record or are you willing to keep on with your winning formula to keep your huge fanbase intact?

perhaps this is part of the reason why we have'nt seen any Pop or Zooropa songs on the current tour. they simply are not mainstream enough for U2 current audience (Although i would have thought Staring at the Sun and a few others maybe could cross that line into mainstream :huh:)

namkcuR said:

Oh, I agree about BOOM CHA. Either you like that or you don't.

But I think a song like 'Mofo' or 'Miami' or 'If You Wear...' or 'Please' is more challenging than a lot of people would like to hear.

Yeah but it all depends on the music they want to make

Of course JT, Zoo and AT strayed towards the introspective "challenging" idea. And War RH and others were the more stadium oriented albums.

I see Bomb and Behind as the bands attempt to mix them. TO provide insightful music to a large audiance. I think that is U2. Faith and ambition.

Princey said:

like i said, it would have to be something phenomenal...we know U2 are capable of this, but would they risk it when they are onto a financially winning formula?

:shrug: I think they would have to do it sooner or later. It would be very unlikely of them to not do it. Just look at their entire career - I think ATYCLB and Bomb are their two most similar albums ever (I like both of them deeply, though), but I don't think U2 is done with experimenting. As I wrote earlier in this thread, I think what they learned from Pop, is that they somehow have to know where they wanna go, to some extent at least. To me it seems like, they were really struggling on POP to find out what it was that they really wanted, and so they kept postponing the release of the album until the record company banged their fist in the table - and we know the rest of the story. I don't mind that they stick to writing great melodies until they know how they wish to experiment - because what they are producing right now is very strong material, IMO.

namkcuR said:

Which goes to the very root of my original post. U2 are financially set for life. They never have to work again at all if they don't want to. I think this is more about popularity than it is about money. And the question at the root of my post, is that fork in the road: Are you willing to lose some fans to make a challenging record or are you willing to keep on with your winning formula to keep your huge fanbase intact?

ah... weve come full circle it seems then :wink:

Some would say i guess that this was a challenging record...i mean how long did it take for them to make the damn thing in the end?? :huh: :huh:

The band seem to be really enjoying this stage of the career anyway, so i dont expect any changes persoanlly. we can but hope, though...

is it any secret that the people that moan at the people who "defend" the latest album and tours, are the ones that dont fine the last album and tour too challenging?

as namkcuR has already stated he is the same when someone makes a post against POP, but thats ok is it?. but its not ok for the people who like these albums and tours to get "heated"? without being told every time that we are "childish"

U2Man said:

:shrug: I think they would have to do it sooner or later. It would be very unlikely of them to not do it. Just look at their entire career - I think ATYCLB and Bomb are their two most similar albums ever (I like both of them deeply, though), but I don't think U2 is done with experimenting. As I wrote earlier in this thread, I think what they learned from Pop, is that they somehow have to know where they wanna go, to some extent at least. To me it seems like, they were really struggling on POP to find out what it was that they really wanted, and so they kept postponing the release of the album until the record company banged their fist in the table - and we know the rest of the story. I don't mind that they stick to writing great melodies until they know how they wish to experiment - because what they are producing right now is very strong material, IMO.

Actually, I think Boy and October are closer than ATYCLB and HTDAAB... but that was at the very beginning of their career so it's excusable :wink:

I agree with the rest of your post though. My personal prediction is a quick album in 2006 in keeping with the current sound but maybe a little different too - perhaps more raw? Maybe Mercy and some more songs like that? I think Mercy may be the bridge between the current U2 sound and the new U2 sound, whatever that may be... I think after one more album in a similar vein U2 will move on to something new. They work in three's, we all know that. So I really wouldn't be despairing even if you hate the current U2 (which so far no one in this thread seems to, everyone seems to agree U2 is making good music still at least)... a new sound will come. And I think/hope U2 will realize four year breaks between each album is unacceptable :wink:

AtomicBono said:
:yawn:

same shit, different decade.

To add to that, same shit, different thread.

Despite the best of intentions of the authors, some threads seem to just keep taking the exact same direction here lately.

Axver said:

To add to that, same shit, different thread.

Despite the best of intentions of the authors, some threads seem to just keep taking the exact same direction here lately.

It's true, and I hope I didn't add to that. namkcuR's post was well written however it was nothing I hadn't heard him say before... nevertheless I refuse to just dismiss it with a one-line sarcastic comment, he made some good points I just happen to disagree with them.

If people don't agree with the opinion of the author, make a reasonable point as to why you disagree. If you're bored of the topic than just skip the thread and find another one you are more interested in.

The sarcastic comments and bickering in this thread is pretty disappointing.

Chizip said:
If people don't agree with the opinion of the author, make a reasonable point as to why you disagree. If you're bored of the topic than just skip the thread and find another one you are more interested in.

:up:

As everyone knows, my friend Chizip here is always right :yes: :wink:

Although I really love ATYCLB and HTDAAB, I am concerned that U2 doesn't become a "greatest hits" band.

I think they are bordering on that now.

I wish their concerts were more impromptu and creative and less formulated than they have become. (like in the good old days of the 1980's)

I don't want U2 to feel that they have to be cardboard figures of themselves to sell records - they need to recover some of the spontaneity that they used to have.

I agree with some of what the original poster said and I think he meant well. He was very respectful of U2 and toward other U2 fans who may disagree with him.

So I personally don't understand the viciousness in this thread.

It's very unreasonable and counterproductive.

Best idea is to stay out of a thread if you can offer nothing constructive or at least disagree in a fairly decent manner.

LOVE AND PEACE....:up:

Hopefully Larry will once again complain that he's tired of being a "human jukebox" like he did on the Lovetown tour and that will trigger another 180-degree turn of direction on U2's part.

Bono's shades said:
Hopefully Larry will once again complain that he's tired of being a "human jukebox" like he did on the Lovetown tour and that will trigger another 180-degree turn of direction on U2's part.

I think he will. I know I've read at least two quotes from him that U2 is not finished experimenting.

I have complete faith in U2. They haven't truly disappointed me yet and I don't think they ever will.

Chizip said:

I agree. If you happen to love HTDAAB, go post in the many 'HTDAAB appreciation threads' and contribute there.. Don't go into a thread and belittle the poster with insensitive remarks. Everyone is entitled to their say. If you have a contrary opinion, state why...rather than contribute things like 'I am glad you are telling me what to like' or millions like HTDAAB so you are wrong in your post.'

Some people like the post-2000 U2, some don't as much. Jeez. We are all fans or we wouldn't be wasting time on these boards.

God Part III said:
I agree a 100%.

You're so right saying that the new albums aren't challenging. Very good post.

Although...

The Beatles didn't burn out :tsk:

I agree, the beatles were great until the very end.(keep in mind abbey road was recorded after let it be)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom