One Tree Hill appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blueeyedgirl said:

It's full of wind. Whether that is a natural meteorological phenomen or a peculiarity of the population (human and/or wooly) remains to be seen.

I can solve this mystery for you - the wind comes from the Antarctic. I told the Aucklanders not to send baked beans to the penguins but they wouldn't listen. :tsk:

timothius said:
Only because the "big tall thingy" towers magestically over your "big tall thingy" :madspit: :wink:

Auckland's big tall thingy goes to prove its sordid reputation. :tsk:

I demand One Tree Hill be moved to Wellington! I'm sure we can find a nice location for it. :cute:

New Zealand may have had 'One Tree Hill' but here in Melbourne Crazy John is planning to build a massive building. Which would be fine, if it wasn't going to be in the shape of a mobile phone.

Seriously, I think Bono was on fire lyrically when he wrote The Joshua Tree. Tell me a more creative, intellectual way to write a line about death than 'we turn away to face to cold, enduring chill'.

Axver said:

Auckland's big tall thingy goes to prove its sordid reputation. :tsk:

I demand One Tree Hill be moved to Wellington! I'm sure we can find a nice location for it. :cute:
:huh: Don't you already have a cable car as your tourist attraction (as well as the wind)????

blueeyedgirl said:

:huh: Don't you already have a cable car as your tourist attraction (as well as the wind)????

We have a cable car, and the Museum of New Zealand, a huge cake tin stadium, the Basin Reserve (complete with cricket museum), a lovely railway station, and a beautiful harbour. One Tree Hill would really cap it all off!

(And we used to have Athletic Park. RIP. :sad: )

This song is poetry...

"And in our world a heart of darkness
A firezone where poets speak their hearts
Then bleed for it"

It's my second favourite of JT right after Streets.

Poetry like the one of this song and in so many others is their essence, it's what makes them so special. The style of the band can change 1000 times but they will always be U2. They can't help it:wink:

Axver said:
You could just buy The Joshua Tree.

Or best of 1980-1990. :yes:

Beau2iful Day I'm trying so hard to keep this Wellingbogan on topic, but he just can't seperate patriotism & objectivisim.

Here is a question. Do we still think that Bono can hit the vox at the end? :scratch:

Yup. There's only two Best Ofs.

It's on the Best of 1980-1990 video.... I think that's what Tim is referring to.

Or maybe it was a bonus track in some countries. I don't really know :shrug:

One Tree Hill is quite possibly one of my favorite hills in all the world. Definately deserves an appreciation thread.

I have a rare print of One Tree Hill with the lyrics. It was a litho only produced in New Zealand. I paid good money for it.
framed and hanging next to my Joshua Tree print signed by Anton.
I see it every day.
A beautiful poem set to music.

roy said:
My favourite off The Joshua Tree.

:up:

This song, along with "Exit", "Mothers" and "Streets" is what really saves JT for me. "One Tree Hill" is probably my second favorite U2 song, after "Pride".

Bono's vocals are indeed heart-wrenching. But he also does a fantastic vocal performance. I have several concert versions of this song and, amazingly, he was even better in some of them!

I would love to hear this song in concert again, but it really doesn't fit in with the themes of the last two tours. If U2 produced an album with the more contemplative, subdued sounds of JT (something Coldplay has apparently now copied to perfection), "One Tree Hill" might make a return in concert. Given how many years have passed since Bono wrote this sad song, I wonder how he'd perform it now...

Back
Top Bottom