Old standards that should stick around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
We've talked a lot about songs that have perhaps been overplayed live & could use a rest. One, Pride, Bullet, to name the most commonly mentioned ones.

But are there any old standards that you want to see stick around?

Streets is the obvious one, though I'm sure some might have the opinion that it, too, could use a rest. For me, it's New Year's Day. It's not one that's played at every show like the others are, but it's played frequently enough. Even still, I have yet to see or hear a performance of NYD that downright sucks (timing mishaps of ZooTV DC excluded). Despite being a high song, Bono still brings it pretty consistently for this song, and each live performance is pretty rousing.

Any others?

I think I Will Follow still has legs - it rocks as good as any of their current stuff.

New Year's Day for certain as well. The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Angel Of Harlem and Desire still have a lot of life left. Streets should stay, but red wash --> white lights.

The Fly needs to stay around...its their original rocker...I see Vertigo being a hit like Elevation on the Vertigo tour, The Electric Co was re-discovered and has great possibility...Sunday Bloody Sunday can use a rework and I can see them making a regular out of a rarity like Miss Sarajevo on Vertigo

I agree on Streets, The Fly, and NYD...Until the End of the World is pretty much a standard isn't it? that should definitely stick around. I'm down with BD too.

I'd like WOWY and One to stick around too, but not every show. alternate them or something. SBS could be another one only played during some shows, unless they come up with a new really kickass arrangement that's begging to be played every night

Until the End of the World, easily. :drool:
Bad (first time I ever heard this song was when I saw them live. Damn, I'd been missing out.)

And I'm sure most of the posters here wouldn't agree, but I'd be extremely disappointed if I didn't hear Still Haven't Found at a live show. I will never, ever get sick of that song.

Streets is pretty much mandatory because there is no other song that can do what that one does.

Other than that, I don't think there is any single song that should be played at every single concert.

Hopefully, next tour they'll loosen up their setlist anxieties and mix it up.

I cannot comprehend why Bad does not have the status of Streets. It is by far the better live song.

I love Streets, but I wouldn't really be sad if it were never done live again. However, every time I see U2, I hope to hear Bad.

And One Tree Hill better stick around after its twice-as-long-as-expected Vertigo run. :drool:

This is an ongoing thread, closely linked into the many setlist variation threads. Old standards are fine. 3-4 max and rotate them in and out. So shock horror you might see a U2 show where they don't play Streets. Big deal. That's the beauty of rotation.

AndrewCowley said:
This is an ongoing thread, closely linked into the many setlist variation threads. Old standards are fine. 3-4 max and rotate them in and out. So shock horror you might see a U2 show where they don't play Streets. Big deal. That's the beauty of rotation.

And yet, the fucken outcry when they dropped LAPOE at Auckland II

You're right about New Years Day, this has been one of the early songs which the band have managed to perform well on each and every tour without it getting too stale. I'v always really enjoyed the Popmart versions of the song, it had a slightly more techno up-tempo feel which I really liked, and despite this tour being a low point for Bono's vocals he was still able to hit the big notes. Mexico 98, Sao Paulo 98 and Santiago 98 are all worthy of mention.

The only other standard I think should stick around should be Bad. I think this and Streets are the bands two live heavyweights, sometimes I think they could be rotated with one another, so whichever night you go you're guaranteed to get one of them.

I think they should all be dropped from time to time, but the ones that I think should stick around for the majority of shows are NYD, Bad, Streets, The Fly and UTEOTW.

Streets, Still haven't found, With or without you, New year's day or Pride, Bad, One and as much as I used to think the song was avarage it might take a while before Elevation starts to remotely bore me live

I actually like it when people react to songs during a concert

Guess, all songs should be switched from night to night. But there is a top five of U2 tunes, that are "Greatest Hits", everybody likes to hear - especially the "Best Of" maniacs:

1. New Year's Day
2. Where The Streets Have No Name
3. One
4. Beautiful Day
5. Vertigo

I do hope, that the band finally comes to the conclusion, that these tunes could be switched too and don't have to be played ALL at the same concert. That's even more important, because you have another top five, that are the obvious other war horses:

1. I Will Follow
2. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
4. With Or Without You
5. Mysterious Ways

If you now decided to play all these 10 tunes (plus the three war horses "Bullet The Blue Sky", "Until The End Of The World" and the lately rarer "Bad") as staples in your setlist in addition to 5-8 new tracks of your current album, you don't have any more space for rarer, "obscure" tunes - that often are the long-time fan's dream and make tours more interesting for the band as the audience. So even if repeat myself: After so many brilliant songs, a 30-year live career now it's finally time to say goodbye to completely fixed, staple setlists. Just play your new tunes, a good handful of the "Top Ten", change these from night to night - and you have at least 5-8 spots for a deep insight in the back catalogue: "The Unforgettable Fire", "Exit", "God Part II",
"Please" & others shouldn't be forgotten ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom