October Review!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
This is not a first listen review; in fact I’ve had it for about two weeks. I also bought another U2 album on the same day, but I’m not going to reveal that one yet as I’m concentrating on listening to October.

Gloria
I’d heard it live off UABRS, and while this doesn’t quite match the standards, it’s still a damn good tune. The instrumental is a bit too long, but the final chorus (Gloria, in te domine, Gloria, Gloria) comes in it sounds really good. It’s quite similar to I Will Follow, and Adam also standouts on this track.

I Fall Down
It’s nice enough, but I don’t really like that transition from soft, piano notes to and aggressive ‘I Fall Down’. Still, the lead-in and chorus isn’t too bad, the vocals are good, but it’s a bit lacking in lyrics. ‘I fall down when you fall down, when I get up I fall down, when you fall down is when I’m falling down’ makes me cringe a bit.

I Threw a Brick Through a Window
I love the guitar in this. That was my first thought. The vocals sound kind of mysterious, the bass carries it really well. The drumming, on first listen, made it sound like there was too much going on in the background, especially during the instrumental/bridge/outro. The lyrics are a tad repetitive. But otherwise, good song.

Rejoice
Great intro, terrific guitar, all the way through. The verses are a bit too fast-moving for my liking, but the ‘I can’t change the world, but I can change the world in me’ parts are sung pretty well. The quick-moving drums with the ascending guitar sounds really cool. 7

Fire
I liked this one from the start. The vocals are terrific, as is the guitar. The Edge is fantastic throughout this album. This track is a real gem. I think this song sounds a bit more ahead, a bit more developed then some other songs on the album. I think the only thing that lets it down is its outro.

Tomorrow
I read before on these forums that this track is a ‘hidden gem’, which I wholeheartedly agree with. Like Fire, this track is a bit more developed, gave us a bit of a hint of what was to come. I like when the song starts to accelerate, and then it climaxes in the final verse. Terrific. The only thing I mark against it is the lyrics are repetitive.

October
This was the only track on October that I had heard before I bought it, courtesy of the best of. I’ve always liked it. I love the piano, especially as it always kind of portrays a story to me. It starts off slow, then builds and builds. The vocals are fantastic, and the subtle bass notes during them add to the effect.

With a Shout (Jerusalem)
I really liked this track. I think it sounds a little disjointed, as the instruments in the back ground are constantly changing, but I think this is a hidden gem. The guitar behind the ‘where do we go from here, we were filled with a love’ parts is awesome. But what I really like is the vocals – especially when Bono sings Jerusalem. I was hoping that the drums at the end were going to get quicker instead of slower, though.

Stranger in a Strange Land
The guitar intro is terrific, and I think the vocals are really good as well. But I think the lyrics are the best on the entire album. This song doesn’t get as much credit as it should. The bass is really good as well.

Scarlet
The vocals are good, and the instrumental behind them is really good. The piano combined with guitar, bass and the soft drumming sounds very nice. But it’s just nice, not a lot else.

Is That All?
The lyrics make me cringe, but this isn’t all that bad. The guitar is good, and yes I know it’s lifted from The Cry but it still sounds good. Especially behind Bono when he sings ‘Is that all?’ Would have been better coming after With a Shout or Stranger in a Strange Land and Scarlet closing the album, however.

Overall – 7 to 8/10. I think this album is going to be a definite grower. It already has grown, and it should get a lot more recognition than it does.

And when we next have a ‘what is the best trinity’ contest, I’d like to nominate one off October to join JT’s and AB’s – Fire/Tomorrow/October. It’s fantastic.

I haven't been able to post much lately. I am connected with TPG - does anyone here have that?

I don't hate October. It just isn't my fave, lol! I can't get into it as much as the others. Is That All is not a good ending either, lol, I dunno why they even did that.

Trinities - don't forget the Boy one (An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart/Out Of Control) too! Hee, I love that one.

COBL_04 said:

Scarlet
The vocals are good, and the instrumental behind them is really good. The piano combined with guitar, bass and the soft drumming sounds very nice. But it’s just nice, not a lot else.

if a song that you call "just nice" gets 7/10 then how does a song ever get ranked 5/10 or *gasp* below?

my point is, if you rank everything highly and never rank any songs in the lower half of the 10pt ranking system it becomes useless.

here's my ranking
1-2 (run screaming if this is played)
3-4 (you can stand this but wouldn't buy it)
5-6 (an average song/album, doesn't get you excited but it's not "bad" )
7-8 (a good album/song, you really like this stuff)
9(very good album, pure class. your favorites go here)
10 (i rarely put anything here, this is for perfect stuff, which quite frankly doesn't happen very often)

oh, and i like oct. i'd give it 6 or 7.

Re: Re: October Review!

the rockin edge said:

if a song that you call "just nice" gets 7/10 then how does a song ever get ranked 5/10 or *gasp* below?

my point is, if you rank everything highly and never rank any songs in the lower half of the 10pt ranking system it becomes useless.

Scarlet/Is That All are meant to be 6's sorry. I copied it straight from Word it was done quickly.

Chickadee - I love that Boy trilogy too - especially as Adam is really prominent in all three tracks.

October is better than most music in 1981 or whenever it came out. It's still better than much of today's current music scene.

But when you are talking U2, it is one of their weaker albums, not because it's bad (it's GREAT in fact), but it has stiff competition from the rest of U2's tremendous overall catalogue.

Last edited:
I still like October a lot. It's not the "worse" album, only the "least favourite" :)

Gloria, Tomorrow, I Threw a Brick, Rejoice and October are classics :up:

I love the entire album on the same level as stuff like 'The Joshua Tree' and 'The Unforgettable Fire'. I don't know why, i'm going to get all pretentious here and say the album has this really "Dark Atmosphere" to it that i really love! Sort of taking the tones of 'An Cat Dubh', 'Another Time...' etc. further!

Gloria: 7.
I Fall Down: 7
I Threw a Brick Through a Window: 5
Rejoice: 7.
Fire: 7
Tomorrow: 7
October: 8
With a Shout: 5
Stranger in a Strange Land: 5
Scarlet: 6
Is That All?: 4

Average 6.8. Not that good.

gloria: 7
I Fall Down: 8
I Threw A Brick: 9
Rejoice: 8
Fire: 5
Tomorrow: 7
October: 7
With a Shout: 8
Stranger In A Strange Land: 6
Scarlet: 9
Is That All: 5

Av. 7.2
I Like it, not my fav u2 album but a solid album.
:up:

there are some good songs on there, but also some clunkers. is that all is one of the worst u2 songs ever.

Good review here is what I think

Gloria 9
I Fall Down 7.5
I Threw A Brick 7.5
Rejoice 8.5
Fire 7
Tomorrow 8
October 7.5
With A Shout 7.5
Strange In A Strange Land 7
Scarlet 6.5
Is That All? 5

gareth brown said:
I love the entire album on the same level as stuff like 'The Joshua Tree' and 'The Unforgettable Fire'. I don't know why, i'm going to get all pretentious here and say the album has this really "Dark Atmosphere" to it that i really love! Sort of taking the tones of 'An Cat Dubh', 'Another Time...' etc. further!

I completey agree! In fact when I first listened to Brick I thought it was kind of similar to An Cat Dubh (guitar, darkish atmosphere).

Imagine how cool October would be with 11 O'Clock Tick Tock! I reckon it would fit right in.

I have a questions though - why did they deciede to re-use the guitar from The Cry for Is That All?

Imagine what might have been had the lyrics not been stolen.

Back
Top Bottom