Now that the forum is renamed...who do you want to produce the next album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you shout... said:
If Robert Smith came in, I'm sure the results would be "interesting"...but mostly because of his long-standing and vocal hatred of the band. Still, we can wonder..

If you shout could you fill me in as to why Ropbert Smith hates U2:eyebrow: That's too bad cause I think it would definately be a perfect match musically at least. Smith's vocals would be perfect as backing vocals on a few songs no doubt and his probably the most sublime guitar player I've ever heard. I could just picture some dark assed Achtung Baby meets Bloodflowers.:drool:

I think I just peed myself:ohmy:

Last edited:
If you shout... said:
Dan the Automater, by the way, would be fucking crazy. I'm not sure that the band still has it in them to do something like that (he would've fit perfectly with POP, though), but I'd love to see them try. Could be terrible, but wouldbe fascinating all the same.

It would be fucking amazing!!! But alas, that's definitely not U2 post-2000.

Still, I'd love to have him work over and remix a few of U2's older, funkier tunes from the 90s. That'd be sweet...

namkcuR said:
Does anyone think Trent Reznor could work well with U2?

Yes and no. It depends on what he would bring to the table. If he brought a more electronic then yeah I think it'd be cool. If he started taking the album in a Downward Spiral/Fragile/With Teeth, industrial direction then no. Then again maybe he'd bring somthing altogether different. To me though Trent writes great songs and then ruins them with over production. That's why I think PHM is his best album by far. It's so stripped down and bare. It has more of an electronic feel to it rather than the industrial vibe that has been on all his albums since PHM.That's why I always refer to it as NIN's "acoustic" album.

Trent Reznor, although the two became friendly around the time of POPmart, would clash with U2 in the studio. It's a whole different animal to send him a track and ask him to remix it. There is no conflict of interest, U2 either uses it or doesn't.

He'd be trying to deconstruct obvious melodies and U2 clearly want them emphasized. He'd try to mask just about everything that U2 wants to be at the front of their music nowadays. Maybe this would have made sense 10 years ago, clearly not now.

I can just see him asking Bono to sing thru an effects processor and Bono remarking "but this needs to be more like Al Green", and scrapping the whole idea anyways. Probably a waste of time altogether. Although it surely would produce some more interesting results that would never make an album.

Even though I like Reznor, he doesn't have a great sense of the songwriting U2 is looking for, but he has a great sense of tones and textures or simply put, sounds. He does have some hauntingly beautiful music and some of the most unique concoctions of sounds ever committed to mainstream rock.
And he wouldn't be much help vocally or harmonically.

Anyways, it would be cool to see what happened. I'd bet it would end up with U2 bringing in a familar face to work with whatever framework they had come up with.

In fact, I think that would happen with anyone outside of the band's comfort zone. So I just say cut to the chase and start off familar so it doesn't take another 4 years for an album.

I also don't see why Lillywhite has to be slagged considering his fingerprints are all over the classic War, October, Boy, ATYCLB, Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby. Lillywhite was in the mix for some of U2's biggest albums. The much bashed ATYCLB had Lanois's and Eno's fingerprints all over it as well yet people bashing Lillywhite want those guys back? Geez...

People say Flood... but I don't think I've read any positive comments on Flood's work on HTDAAB on this board.

Rick Rubin? I dunno.

I mean, what do people want from a producer anyways? It always seems like U2 wants a producer who actually contributes to the songwriting process itself (alah playing on the album and writing the songs). Outside of Eno and Lanois and Lillywhite... Could any of the aforementioned producers do that? Could that have been the problem?

Flying FuManchu said:
I also don't see why Lillywhite has to be slagged considering his fingerprints are all over the classic War, October, Boy, ATYCLB, Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby. Lillywhite was in the mix for some of U2's biggest albums. The much bashed ATYCLB had Lanois's and Eno's fingerprints all over it as well yet people bashing Lillywhite want those guys back? Geez...

People say Flood... but I don't think I've read any positive comments on Flood's work on HTDAAB on this board.

Rick Rubin? I dunno.

I mean, what do people want from a producer anyways? It always seems like U2 wants a producer who actually contributes to the songwriting process itself (alah playing on the album and writing the songs). Outside of Eno and Lanois and Lillywhite... Could any of the aforementioned producers do that? Could that have been the problem?

Lillywhite let's U2 be U2. If he produces, we get a straight rock record. People here don't want that. They want Pop Pt II.

The producer is not important, Bono is more important, he is the real leader of U2, i know it's cool to say that The Edge is the real musical leader of U2 but it's wrong.
ATYCLB and HTDAAB are good but they could have been better if Bono was not spending his time for charity.
I'm happy that he spends so much time for AIDS and Africa but he can't be involved 100% in both things, it's not possible, even for Bono. I don't imagine him stopping his DATA activities for 6 or 8 months to make an essential record.....
Don't expect too much from the next record.

To my knowledge, Bono cannot even read notes/music yet (he dodged the issue when Larry King explicitly asked him), his guitar playing is still at the level of someone who has had 2 guitar lessons - and I'm speaking about a guy who has made music for 25+ years. I kinda hope he's not the musical leader of U2.

Definately NOT flood!

He is responsible for the COBL and ABOY mixes. Most people can hear the difference b/w the album version of ABOY and the single version.

U2Man said:
To my knowledge, Bono cannot even read notes/music yet (he dodged the issue when Larry King explicitly asked him), his guitar playing is still at the level of someone who has had 2 guitar lessons - and I'm speaking about a guy who has made music for 25+ years. I kinda hope he's not the musical leader of U2.

I disagree (what a surprise).

Listen to the Salome record and watch the making of The Joshua Tree, he is the leading element of U2, he pushes Larry, Adam and The Edge.
I agree that The Edge is important but Bono is the most important. You can deny it if you want, you'll look like a real fan who knows everything and even better than U2 themselves ( like for the setlist ).
The producer is not important, Bono decides everything.

very true, guill. i just watched the unforgettable fire documentary last night and it seemed he was telling eno what to do even back then.

guill said:

I disagree (what a surprise).

Listen to the Salome record and watch the making of The Joshua Tree, he is the leading element of U2, he pushes Larry, Adam and The Edge.
I agree that The Edge is important but Bono is the most important. You can deny it if you want, you'll look like a real fan who knows everything and even better than U2 themselves ( like for the setlist ).
The producer is not important, Bono decides everything.

Ha ha! Am I the only one who can hear how ludicrous this is? A person who in the exact same post manages to tell me that "I think I know everything about U2 even better than themselves" and simultaneously states remarks like "Bono is the most important" and "The producer is not important, Bono decides everything". Wow. YOU seem to know everything about how U2 work as a group. What about Larry, am I the only one who has read how he has to approve every single song before they finally put it on the album, and that if it hasn't got Larry's approval it won't make it?

Anyway, to be honest, I really have no desire to speak to you.

Last edited:
Edge is most musically important to U2, certainly.
It's about as completely obvious as the sun in the fucking sky.

Bono makes his creative impact by doing what you guys are saying, yelling and changing things up. He's a spontaneous vein of passion. And obviously he's the voice of the band, he is very important, easily 2nd most important. But Edge writes all or most of it, they may tweak it here and there but he writes all or most of it. And by that I mean the basic music.

Bono may ask him to write a better chorus for OOTS and make the old chorus the verse, and while it's Bono's idea, Edge is the one having to deliver the goods.

The notes Adam plays are directly related to what Edge writes. The drums compliment the bass and vice versa. The trunk of this tree is Edge and it is obvious. I guess if pointing out the obvious makes you a "know-it-all", fine then.

U2DMfan said:
Edge is most musically important to U2, certainly.
It's about as completely obvious as the sun in the fucking sky.

Bono makes his creative impact by doing what you guys are saying, yelling and changing things up. He's a spontaneous vein of passion. And obviously he's the voice of the band, he is very important, easily 2nd most important. But Edge writes all or most of it, they may tweak it here and there but he writes all or most of it. And by that I mean the basic music.

Bono may ask him to write a better chorus for OOTS and make the old chorus the verse, and while it's Bono's idea, Edge is the one having to deliver the goods.

The notes Adam plays are directly related to what Edge writes. The drums compliment the bass and vice versa. The trunk of this tree is Edge and it is obvious. I guess if pointing out the obvious makes you a "know-it-all", fine then.

Exactly :up: Very fine post with several good points! :wink: Nearly every single U2 song is built up upon Edges guitar figures, which you only need a tinge of musical knowledge to realise. I would really, really like to know what Bono would do without Edge and producers.....I wonder how far he would have gone... :hmm:

Last edited:
You guys are on crack and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Bono is not the most important and neither is The Edge. Without either one of them nothing happens. Without Larry and Adam nothing happens. We should know this by now. You can't have a U2 song without Larry, without Adam, without Bono or without The Edge. Yes The Edge comes up with most of the structure to a song, but he doesn't write the drum parts and I'm sure Adam can play his own bass, and Bono writes the words and is the voice of the band. U2Man we can wonder all we want about how far Bono would have gotten without The Edge and producers but where would The Edge have gotten without Bono? The answer to both questions is nowhere.

Hallucination said:
U2Man we can wonder all we want about how far Bono would have gotten without The Edge and producers but where would The Edge have gotten without Bono? The answer to both questions is nowhere.

Very true, but I was only responding to the "Bono is the most important, Bono decides everything" thing

Hallucination said:
You guys are on crack and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Bono is not the most important and neither is The Edge.

Bono's influence on the band has diminished since 2000 when he started meeting all the political leaders in his quest to save the world. That is one BIG reason why U2's music has stagnated over the past 2 albums. He ain't around at the recording sessions as much as he used to be cos of all his outside interests. The result is that the band has lost its Edge and the music now sounds regurgitated and tired with no real excitement and rawness in it. Anyone wanting to hear a driving and passionate Bono trying to create new feelings and take the band in new directions should listen to the Achtung Baby outtakes. Listen to a track called "she's gonna blow your house down" and listen to Bono absolutely driving the band trying to find something exciting and fresh. In this one example it shows to me the driving force behind U2 in the past was Bono and it also illustrates how tired the band sound now!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Bono's influence on the band has diminished since 2000 when he started meeting all the political leaders in his quest to save the world. That is one BIG reason why U2's music has stagnated over the past 2 albums. He ain't around at the recording sessions as much as he used to be cos of all his outside interests. The result is that the band has lost its Edge and the music now sounds regurgitated and tired with no real excitement and rawness in it. Anyone wanting to hear a driving and passionate Bono trying to create new feelings and take the band in new directions should listen to the Achtung Baby outtakes. Listen to a track called "she's gonna blow your house down" and listen to Bono absolutely driving the band trying to find something exciting and fresh. In this one example it shows to me the driving force behind U2 in the past was Bono and it also illustrates how tired the band sound now!:wink:

I can't agree with you because I think Atomic Bomb is thier second best album. How is that stagnateing? To me they don't sound tired at all. They sound like they're making a transition from POP to where they're gonna end up on the next album. All this bull about U2 not experimenting and not taking any chances anymore is just that, it's bull! No band can pull off massive changes in style and sound the way U2 did from Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby every time they record. U2 is U2 so face it they are gonna sound like U2 from album to album it has nothing to do with being "tired":wink:

Hallucination said:
You guys are on crack and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Bono is not the most important and neither is The Edge. Without either one of them nothing happens. Without Larry and Adam nothing happens. We should know this by now. You can't have a U2 song without Larry, without Adam, without Bono or without The Edge. Yes The Edge comes up with most of the structure to a song, but he doesn't write the drum parts and I'm sure Adam can play his own bass, and Bono writes the words and is the voice of the band. U2Man we can wonder all we want about how far Bono would have gotten without The Edge and producers but where would The Edge have gotten without Bono? The answer to both questions is nowhere.

Most of all the creative energy from the band, especially early in the stages of recording is all about Edge playing stuff and Bono coming up with ideas. Since Bono was disconnected from the process for at least a portion for all the reasons we all know about, then his part was slightly diminished if not more.

While Adam and Larry are doing their part, it's my opinion they really, especially initially, only play to compliment the original idea. It doesn't make much sense for Larry to say "Edge you should plat the F sharp there". When he is likely just trying to find a flow for ever changing ideas.

So between Bono being absent here and there, Larry and Adam only playing their part, Edge was the guy really pushing the envelope, writing the stuff. I mean, the conclusion on HTDAAB was that they spent a lot of time on stuff that at least half the band didn't like, the rhythm section.

So, are we going to pretend that Larry sat around playing drums on songs for a year and a half thinking that they sucked the whole time? I don't. I think he played his role and I don't believe his role is really important to the creation of the songs, INITIALLY. I think where Adam and Larry, as the rhythm section come in is really bringing the song around when it's taking form.

So yeah, they need all the parts of the band to make U2 be U2.
There is no denying than a subtraction of any member would make it cease to be U2. But when Paul McG and Adam remark that they have 15 or 20 songs for the new record, as they did the last two albums. Are these songs written by Bono, Adam or Larry? And if so how exactly did this happen? Maybe Bono writes a song on his acoutic guitar or two, so even if you make a few exceptions here and there, who is coming up with the rest of this stuff? :edge:

It;s not as if I disagree with what you said. We are both right. This band does a great job of taking equal share, credit and blame. But the truth is both #1-they couldn't do it as "U2" without each other and #2-Edge is creatively far more important than the other 3, maybe combined to actual writing.

Why do Eno and Lanois work so well with the band, outside of personal relationships? I think it's because they are primarily musicians whom U2 allow to mold ideas and songs with. They are essentially invited into the band for at least recording time. They are there to assist Edge with a framework of a song, and to take Bono's ever changing ideas and make them come to life. The basic song takes shape and they just keep revamping it and revamping it, Larry and Adam changing with the flow and so on.

So yes, they are all 4 part of the process and they all take even credit for the songs. I am saying the ignition switch to the engine that is U2 is definitely Edge. If you listen to the Salome Achtung outtakes, you do hear Bono shouting out orders and such, but what are they playing the whole time, what is the mold of clay that they are forming as they write and record, Bono does his Bono-ese and the other 3 jam? They are using whatever the hell Edge came up with in the first place. Bono probably contributes a bit in terms of notes, and chords and all that, but he is not really the type of artist who writes a whole song on his guitar alone. He barely plays the fucking thing on the 150+ songs U2 have already written. Almost doesn't at all in the studio.

HTDAAB sessions started with a demo disc that Edge had of stuff he had been working on. They give them names to differentiate them. One was called Full Metal Jacket and became Vertigo. It is essentially the Edge's idea, the riff is the bass line more or less, the drums follow the beat, Bono rewrote his lyrics 10 times probably going from Native Son to Vertigo and who knows what in between. All the while the riff was the idea that the whole song was built around. Reading article after article, and hearing the outtakes and all of it, using a musicians guess, I'd say of the 150+ songs U2 have done most of them started off of Edge's fingers and along the way they became U2 songs instead of just Edge riffs. So I'll say there are two parts to the equation, and I think we are both right, at least in my opinion.

U2Man said:

Ha ha! Am I the only one who can hear how ludicrous this is? A person who in the exact same post manages to tell me that "I think I know everything about U2 even better than themselves" and simultaneously states remarks like "Bono is the most important" and "The producer is not important, Bono decides everything". Wow. YOU seem to know everything about how U2 work as a group. What about Larry, am I the only one who has read how he has to approve every single song before they finally put it on the album, and that if it hasn't got Larry's approval it won't make it?

Anyway, to be honest, I really have no desire to speak to you.

Larry is very important, especially on AB, Zooropa, Passengers and Pop. (U2 best albums).
:lol:

My suggestion is Mike Hedges.

I liked his work on the Best of.

As far as Lillywhite bashing:
Vertigo sounds good as it features bass, drums, guitar and voice equally.

Miracle Drug also, the only comment I have is the bubbling sound during the "heyyy yeaaah wooo" part. How did they not notice that?

All because of you (blame the industry if it's too loud) could feature Larry a bit more - like the live version. (Flood was mixing)

Crumbs: apart from the siren sound (Jacknife Lee, why?) in the chorus, no complaints. Loud also, blame the industry.

OOTS: very good, like with ABOY, bit more Larry couldn't hurt. (in the louder parts of the song) Again, see Flood mixed it.

Fast cars: very good mix.

He was also a part of A man and a woman, Sometimes - no complaints there.

Ironically, the song that got the most flak productionwise - COBL - had nothing to do with Lillywhite. (Jacknife Lee had to add the xylophone-like sound in the song, along with the siren sound in Crumbs this is my only beef with Bomb soundwise)

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

Lillywhite let's U2 be U2. If he produces, we get a straight rock record. People here don't want that. They want Pop Pt II.

Really? I haven't read any post asking for Pop Pt II?

I'd love a straight rock record. Absolutely adore it.

U2girl said:
My suggestion is Mike Hedges.

I liked his work on the Best of.

Oh my God, no

Maybe he could be a good producer with all-new material but he ruined Staring at the Sun and Numb. Discotheque was interesting and rocking but I prefer the original.

I have to give him credit for the Gone remix though. :drool:

:shrug:
A matter of taste - I agree Staring at the sun wasn't improved but I enjoyed Discotheque and Gone, and I liked hearing Bono and Larry more on Numb. (as well as more guitars at the end)

U2girl said:
:shrug:
A matter of taste - I agree Staring at the sun wasn't improved but I enjoyed Discotheque and Gone, and I liked hearing Bono and Larry more on Numb. (as well as more guitars at the end)

Actually we don't disagree too much. Except for Numb. :wink:

I do not enjoy the new mix of Discotheque, just not as much.

Do we know if Mike Hedges even produces? Maybe he is just a mixer. Of course Flood was originally just a mixer so you never know.

Back
Top Bottom