November relase Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
I'm stunned they're releasing the JT Paris gig. Sure, it was proshot, but still, check out the set! Biggest thing for some people will be the stark lack of Streets. For those of us familiar with the gig, I'm sure the biggest thing is that U2 are actually officially releasing that WOWY. Anyway, from U2VT:

1. Stand By Me
2. C'mon Everybody
3. I Will Follow
4. Trip Through Your Wires
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
6. MLK
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. Exit / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
10. In God's Country
11. The Electric Co. / Break On Through (snippet)
12. Help
13. Bad
14. October
15. New Year's Day
16. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
17. Bullet The Blue Sky
18. Running To Stand Still
19. With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet) / Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)
20. Party Girl
21. 40

Don't forget that they also played a second gig in Paris a few weeks earlier. This was an indoor gig at Le Zenith on 15 June. It might be that concert that they're going to release. According to U2Tours.com this is the setlist:
1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. I Will Follow
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
4. MLK
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Bullet The Blue Sky
7. Running to Stand Still
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. Exit
10. In God's Country
11. Trip Through Your Wires
12. Help
13. Springhill Mining Disaster
14. Bad
15. October
16. New Year's Day
17. Pride
encore:
18. Party Girl
19. Sweet Jane (with Maria McKee)
20. Gloria
21. With or Without You
22. 40

This is a more typical setlist of The Joshua Tree Tour and it features some nice rarities. Then again, I don't know if there were cameras present at this concert...

In any case, I'm soooo going to buy that 3 CD/DVD version! :drool: :combust: :faint: :hyper:

*expects the sound of the remaster to be lousy anyway, probably way too loud*

Wow... if this is true, it would be spectacular.

But... somehow I do not believe, if they are indeed releasing the Paris DVD, that it will be the whole show. Maybe a 10-song selection like on the U2:18 Live from Milan DVD?

I am glad to see this coming to fruitation. I held my dad's copy of Born to Run (Anniversary edition) and immediately suggested that U2 had to do something like this with all the works (a dvd concert!). I'm excited!

Our friends at U2tour.de informed us that Universal Austria has confirmed the release of three special 20th Anniversary Editions of The Joshua Tree, which will feature:

1. A digitally re-mastered standard album in a 'super' jewel case with a 24-page booklet.

2. A deluxe edition to include a 5" hardcover book with two wallets (at front and back) to hold two CDs (the remastered album + rarities) and the 24-page booklet.

3. A limited edition to contain everything in the deluxe edtion, plus one DVD of a Paris show from The Joshua Tree tour.

The tentative release date is November 23, 2007.

:eek: a DVD ?!? This sets the standard for 20th anniversary of AB, (30th anniversary of War and UF?).

"Rarities" meaning JT B-sides or unreleased JT era songs ? :hmm:

Last edited:
So when will Amazon, best buy and other sites put the CD to pre-order on their sites?

Axver said:

Something goes off in the crowd, I'm not sure precisely what it actually was, but Bono stops the song and remarks "tear gas? There are enough tears in this song already." When the song restarts, Bono improvises a great verse.

that version has always been one of my favorites of all time!

the bootleg I have of it was such bad quality though, I would be SO surprised if there was decent video of it!!

that alone would be worth the purchase, but I agree that the Zenith show is more likely!

gareth brown said:
anyone else hoping the video for Red Hill Mining Town pops up on this? :drool:

I'd rather watch the coal-mining scene from Zoolander.

Awesome news. :up:

This is great. I'm not even that excited about the DVD; I just hope they re-master the album well. For some reason, 'Joshua Tree' has always been a crappy-sounding CD with muted production or some other flaw in the digital transfer (it might be great on vinyl; I dunno). I did buy the 1990s 'Island Remasters' or whatever they called it, and the sound was just as bad as ever. So let's hope for something that lives up to today's technology with this release!

that's a point! Vinyl! I suppose the chances of the audio content (the remaster AND rarities) coming out as an LP set are slim? :(

Now I know what I want for Christmas! If I can stand to wait a month to get it, that is.

I didn't think they were going to do anything for the 20th anniversary, but I am really glad they are after all. And this does require them to release an AB 20th anniversary edition, too. :hyper:

Well, regarding the Paris gig, I highly doubt it'll be the earlier one as I don't believe it was actually filmed while we already know there's proshot of the one with the teargas incident. Personally, I would have much more expected them to use a third leg show, namely 1987-11-18, Los Angeles or one of the Tempe gigs.

Wow, neat. But I also wonder why the Paris show and also wonder why they'd choose a show that doesn't have Streets, since that was such a staple of the tour.. You know.. with the red backdrop etc.

david said:
Wow, neat. But I also wonder why the Paris show and also wonder why they'd choose a show that doesn't have Streets, since that was such a staple of the tour.. You know.. with the red backdrop etc.

A staple of the overall tour, yes, but not the European leg. It appeared at only just over half the 30 concerts.

Varitek said:
U2tour.de has it at 23 November, but the pdf they link to out of an Austrian catalogue has it at 16 November. (Which makes way more sense for Americans...who wants to wade through black friday shoppers to get a cd? ugh)
That wouldn't work anyway, since CDs come out on Tuesdays in the US. I'm guessing the US date is November 27th.

Justin24 said:
So when will Amazon, best buy and other sites put the CD to pre-order on their sites?
Probably about a month from now.

pepokiss said:
so... 2011 = AB Remaster? :drool:
This makes me happy and sad at the same time. We'll have to wait four years.

Last edited:
To the folks who bitch about Streets probably not being on the DVD:

1. It was on Rattle and Hum DVD, the Joshua Tree Tour version, with the red backdrop and everything
2. It was on every single DVD release (ZooTV, Popmart, two Elevations and Vertigo)

I would rather finally see The Unforgettable Fire than that song.

Axver said:
1. Stand By Me
2. C'mon Everybody
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
9. Exit / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
11. The Electric Co. / Break On Through (snippet)
12. Help
19. With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet) / Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)

Fat chance in hell all these get through the licensing labyrinth.

Joy Division and Marley should be easy for U2 and maybe Van Morrison and the Doors. Beatles(publishing controlled by Jacko) and 50's R&R(especially if publishing was once owned by Morris Levy) are notoriously and prohibitively expensive.

Don't junk you bootleg quite yet.

I wouldn't miss Help & C'mon, which will most likely be the first on the chopping block. I'm more that happy with a 90 minute DVD.

u2fp

The Paris show is fantastic. i'd much rather that than a bog standard JT show. It was a real event.

Great news. It would be wonderful if the rarities included more than just the released B-Sides - additional songs from the recording sessions!

U2FanPeter said:
Joy Division and Marley should be easy for U2 and maybe Van Morrison and the Doors. Beatles(publishing controlled by Jacko) and 50's R&R(especially if publishing was once owned by Morris Levy) are notoriously and prohibitively expensive.

I imagine the Van Morrison snippet won't be a problem at all, as it's already on RAH. I share the Joy Division optimism, but only if U2 actually want to include that version of WOWY in the first place. I find that quite questionable. I desperately hope they can get approval for the Doors one as we need The Electric Co. on an official release - or they could just edit it out, UABRS CD style.

U2Soar said:
Great news. It would be wonderful if the rarities included more than just the released B-Sides - additional songs from the recording sessions!

Given there are only seven b-sides, plus Beautiful Ghost, I think we're in for something additional. Perhaps the U2 studio version of She's A Mystery To Me? The full songs featured in those 30 second JT demos clips? Alternate versions of album songs - especially those that were around for a while like Trip Through Your Wires?

Last edited:
If this sounds better than the MFSL JT I'll be thrilled...I already love the MoFi one so better would be awesome.

And I'd rather the Zenith show but for sure it's the Hippodrome one...frankly I'm surprised it wasn't LA or Syracuse, U2 seems to enjoy releasing shows that are already in the trading world (Boy Boston, Dublin New Year's). It would be cool if they picked something like Tempe or Denver, or Fort Worth...one of the Croke Park gigs would be cool.

Back
Top Bottom