Non-Single Survivor: Final Results and THE WINNER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
It's been a long competition, but we have finally found our winner. Firstly, let's recap the competition.

To qualify for the final, a song had to be the last one left on its album. Songs could only compete if they had never been released as a commercial single and/or had never had a music video released, and a list of qualifying songs, unchangeable once the tournament commenced, was established after much discussion beforehand.

The winners of each album were:

Boy: The Electric Co.
October: Tomorrow
War: Like A Song ...
The Unforgettable Fire: Promenade
The Joshua Tree: Running To Stand Still
Rattle And Hum: Heartland
Achtung Baby: Zoo Station
Zooropa: Zooropa
Pop: Do You Feel Loved
All That You Can't Leave Behind: Kite
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: Love And Peace Or Else

Before the Top Five stage of the final, the following songs were eliminated. The number signifies either order of elimination, with 1. the first of the eleven finalists to be eliminated.

1. Tomorrow
2. Love And Peace Or Else
3. Do You Feel Loved
4. Promenade
5. Like A Song ...
6. Kite

This obviously left five songs to fight it out for the prime positions. The results were:

Fifth place: The Electric Co.

Fourth place: Heartland

Third place: Zooropa

Second place: Zoo Station

And the Winner of Non-Single Survivor is RUNNING TO STAND STILL!

You can now consider Running To Stand Still to be the Best Non-Single or Least Objectionable Non-Single according to Interference's voters, depending upon your perspective.

It's been a good competition. It's had its moments, but I enjoyed running it for much of the time. I hope you enjoyed it too. Have a good one! :wave:

I'd just like to say that while I've stated I will not run the next Survivor (if there is one), I will reconsider if anyone wants me to run an Axver Invitational Song Survivor. :wink:

^ Nah, nobody listens to "Heartland" or your other favorites. It's true.

lol, I think RTSS is a good winner :) Perhaps you could help me with the Concert Survivor kind of thing I am working on.

BigMacPhisto said:
^ Nah, nobody listens to "Heartland" or your other favorites. It's true.

That's because some U2 fans aren't aware there's more to U2 than the classics.

thelaj said:
Perhaps you could help me with the Concert Survivor kind of thing I am working on.

To be honest, I'm quite opposed to the idea of a Concert Survivor, and I'll explain why.

If it's a Survivor of all/selected concerts of a particular tour, you have the inherent problem that not all fans have bootlegs, and even fewer have all of them. Not to mention the fact that for almost all tours, some shows don't have bootlegs while the actual performance quality of others is lost due to bad bootleg audio quality.

If it's only going by officially released material, you have an even bigger problem. Sure, more people have it, but very few releases are actually indicative of their tour and concert quality. UABRS is half a show. RAH is a mishmash of concerts over a whole tour leg and doesn't give a decent impression of what a full JT Tour show was actually like. ZooTV Sydney features the rare, atypical Zooropa set. Popmart Mexico may just be the most 'normal', being almost wholly from one night. Elevation Boston mixes two nights, Elevation Slane does on a lesser scale, and both lack song/s in the main feature. Vertigo Chicago is a mix of two nights too. You don't have any release (with the possible exclusion of Popmart Mexico) that actually represents a full single concert of a particular tour.

Also, using official releases means that some tours are omitted. Sure, you could include television broadcasts too and more people have seen them than most bootlegs, but they're still far less common than official videos/DVDs and STILL don't give an accurate representation of the tour. From Lovetown, we have only about seven songs. From the UF Tour, we have an abbreviated concert that doesn't represent a full length UF Tour show. And so on and so forth.

After that longwinded explanation, I hope you see why I don't think any Concert Survivor result will be particularly good. The results are too skewed by availability or lack thereof, and distorted by what is represented on the officially available material.

I understand those concerns, but my main principle is that it would give some kind of cohesive idea about generally "well regarded" concerts for the newcomer to start with. Oh well, I guess the only thing to do is try , and then fail :)

Maybe the next one could be an Official Live survivor? Take all officially released live songs from singles, EP's, promos? But to cut down on the size of the thing, leave off official videos/dvds? Also, I'd leave off the Boston and Lovetown shows that are available only if you buy the U2 box set from iTunes.

As to the arguement that maybe not enough people have heard the older stuff, ie Boy/Girl live from the I Will Follow single, well maybe reading about other people discussing it will get them interested in live U2 from the early days. And they can DL it from iTunes for a buck.

I'm not on here enough to do it myself, but if some one thinks it sounds like fun, I'd help them compile the list.

Wow, Running to Stand Still the winner :applaud:
A great song none the less, but it would have been nice if The Electric Co. won. But it's cool.

Axver, great idea to come up with a Non-single survivor, was a great concept (especially like you said it made for a much more interesting voting since Bad and UTEOTW were not in there!), and a interesting to see everyone's opinion. :up:

I really don't know what we should do for the next Survivor. I still like the idea of doing a "Best of ____" insert band member name. Say we start with Larry, and we do the first day as Boy and people vote on which song they feel is Larry's best drumming, and so forth each day for 12 days until each album is rattled off. Or put Passengers on there too if you'd like. Then on the 13th day u have the top voted song of each album, have a final vote and the top voted is the band member's best contribution to U2's catelogue. Then on to Adam, Edge, and Bono. Then Axver, you could make your case as Heartland being Bono's best vocal performance, etc. I think this would work well because then it's not just the hits winning, or how much you like the song, just how well the perticular member does in the song.

Anyway, this survivor was fun, and I'm very happy for the winner RTSS! It was my pick from the beginning! :D

See all my posting chums in the next one! :wave:

i really enjoyed this torunament.......the only thing i HATED was all the axver/everyone elses opinion bashing...overall a great idea to decided the best non-single by u2 :rockon:

The next one should be a "Former Survivor Poll Coordinator Survivor." :hyper:

amerrydeath said:
When's the new setlist of the week going to be up? :wink:

Later today! I've been busy lately, but I'll write it this afternoon.

It's going to be about a nineties set. :wink:

Snowlock said:
As to the arguement that maybe not enough people have heard the older stuff, ie Boy/Girl live from the I Will Follow single, well maybe reading about other people discussing it will get them interested in live U2 from the early days. And they can DL it from iTunes for a buck.
true, but not everyone can be arsed to do this. i still remember whenever we did an all-inclusive survivor that included b-sides, even when we had threads offering them up to people, we still had people saying "well i've only heard two songs (out of, say, 10 choices) so i'll pick this one."

but it's still a good idea. :)

"Rocker" survivor.

Take the "rock" songs from each album and let the best one win.

Of course we'd have to distingush which songs are "rockers", although with U2, it's pretty easy to pick them out. I guess there aren't any from TUF, except maybe Wire.

Im gonna abreviate

Boy:
IWF
Elec. Co
ATAP
Twilight
OUC

October:
Gloria
I threw...
Rejoice

War:
SBS
NYD
Like a song

TUF:
Wire

JT:
Bullet
Exit

R&H:
Helter Skelter
Desire
Hawkmoon
AALW
S&G
WLCTT
God Part II
Bullet

AB:
Zoo Station
Fly
UTEOTW
EBTTRT
Acrobat

Zooropa:
Dirty Day ???

Pop:
Mofo
LNOE
Gone

ATYCLB:
BD
Elevation
WILATW

Bomb:
Vertigo
LAPOE
ABOY
Crumbs?

Last edited:
Just wondering, did anyone have the final round go exactly the way they wanted it to ("RTSS" in 1st, "Zoo Station" in 2nd, etc.)?

This may have already been done, but what about a video Survivor? We could vote on our favorite video from each album, then those could go head to head, until we get the winner.

Anyway, thanks Axver, for another great Survivor!

miss becky said:
This may have already been done, but what about a video Survivor? We could vote on our favorite video from each album, then those could go head to head, until we get the winner.

That sounds like a great one.

Thanks Axver for a well run survivor.

miss becky said:

:up: :up: :up:

Back
Top Bottom