New U2 interviews: Schedules and discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting - he said 'Invisible' would be on the physical release "in one form or another". More bonus tracks?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Interesting - he said 'Invisible' would be on the physical release "in one form or another". More bonus tracks?

Interesting indeed. Kind of cool that we're getting what seems like a crapload of tracks in a few weeks. Still not convinced that we're getting a 2nd album but this release is sure set up to be a real gift for U2 diehards.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Interesting that Bono sort of suggests that sonic experimentation of 90's is something they could easily continue doing but are not interested in anymore. It's all about creating timeless songs.

So take these comments as a hint that the band has turned it's back on that era and never returning to again. Fanning challenged him with the questions too by playing snippets of Zoo Station and The Fly and saying there is nothing as interesting production wise on new album. Bono got a bit defensive in his responses.

Probably more telling part of interview for me in terms of future of band.

Still listening to the interview:

Highlights:

Bono calling critics of the Apple partnership "idiots" :giggle:
Songs of Experience: "fireworks...on the next album even more".
Hoping that the music business will improve in 2 years.
Bono not understanding McGuinness: "I want to work with you because you know the whole equation". :giggle:
Raised by Wolves: "Andy Rowen getting a tattoo by hypodermic needle".
Iris: A dead star's light still reaching us.
The Troubles: Is about domestic violence. (That helps with lyrics so much).

Interesting that Bono sort of suggests that sonic experimentation of 90's is something they could easily continue doing but are not interested in anymore. It's all about creating timeless songs.

So take these comments as a hint that the band has turned it's back on that era and never returning to again. Fanning challenged him with the questions too by playing snippets of Zoo Station and The Fly and saying there is nothing as interesting production wise on new album. Bono got a bit defensive in his responses.

Probably more telling part of interview for me in terms of future of band.

True but he also said to expect even more experimentation on Songs of Experimentation album after those statements. I don't think they've given up on experimentation. It's just not their sole driving force but I'm sure it's still something they're open to. We see elements of it on SOI and there were definitely strong elements of it on NLOTH.

You can also safely say SOE is not coming out until mid 2016 since it coincides with new music format being developed. Bono seemed to skirt around discussion of SOE too.

So please stop w double album talk for Oct release or album coming out before tour!

Interesting indeed. Kind of cool that we're getting what seems like a crapload of tracks in a few weeks. Still not convinced that we're getting a 2nd album but this release is sure set up to be a real gift for U2 diehards.

Feast or famine, right.

1) we have had more articles written about U2 in the past two weeks than in the past 5 years.
2) we have interviews coming out daily
3) free album of 11 songs dropped on us without notice
4) we will have 2 new songs,2 remixes and 7 acoustic songs dropped on us in less than 1 month
5) TV commercial airing non-stop(in the states at least)
6) we are told that a world tour is coming and we are told this by the band themselves, so it's happening
7) we are told ANOTHER album of songs is going to be released within the next year and a half(I actually believe this due to it being thrown out there by Bono in writhing and during interviews)
8) it has been heavily hinted that there is a U2 app of sorts coming out

I....I.....I gotta sit down.

You can also safely say SOE is not coming out until mid 2016 since it coincides with new music format being developed. Bono seemed to skirt around discussion of SOE too.

So please stop w double album talk for Oct release or album coming out before tour!

Agreed, SOE will coincide with the "new format" U2 are working on w/Apple. Glad to hear Invisible will be released on CD/Vinyl...:up:

Listening to the interview on Soundcloud now.

I think it's pretty certain from all the stuff that's been said about the physical release of SOI that it will be a double album. I'm not talking about Songs of Experience, that one won't be out before the tour.

Btw, I love the interview, it's special. I especially love the part were Bono gets audibly annoyed at Fanning's (great!) question about U2's more experimental albums and where he says that SOI is not an experimental album. They wanted to make an album of songs. "We do what we want" :up: And SOE will be more experimental. I love that concept.

Btw, I love the interview, it's special. I especially love the part were Bono gets audibly annoyed at Fanning's (great!) question about U2's more experimental albums and where he says that SOI is not an experimental album. They wanted to make an album of songs. "We do what we want" :up: And SOE will be more experimental. I love that concept.

Bono tries to interrupt but Fanning has to play The Fly. :lol:

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

I'm not willing to believe that SOE is going to take that long. It's been said "coming soon," and the new Apple thing is 18 months or whatever.

I really do think they mean "soon" for SOE. Maybe if there is indeed a third album in a trilogy, it would come with the new format? I dunno. Just spitballing.

I think it's more likely that SOE drops close to the 2015 tour start.

I'm not willing to believe that SOE is going to take that long. It's been said "coming soon," and the new Apple thing is 18 months or whatever.

I really do think they mean "soon" for SOE. Maybe if there is indeed a third album in a trilogy, it would come with the new format? I dunno. Just spitballing.

We must remember that 'soon' is in Bono Years. :wink:

It doesn't make sense to me that they would release it without the new format, otherwise there will be less impact for the format and for the album.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

Yeah, yeah, "Bono lies" and "Bono time." But considering they just dropped a brand new surprise album on everyone makes me think that we shouldn't dismiss everything he says just because "Bono lies" or whatever.

It's a shame they didn't discuss every single song on the album. Would have loved to hear Bono's take on Sleep like a Baby. Very insightful interview and I love some annoyed Bono, because most of the time he's too friendly and polite anyway.

I definitely feel like SoE will be out sooner than 18 months. Maybe they do a huge collection release with the new format instead?

I definitely feel like SoE will be out sooner than 18 months. Maybe they do a huge collection release with the new format instead?

It can't be too much sooner because they want this album to not be overshadowed by a new record so soon. In 12 months it'll be the beginning of the tour where they put on SOI songs and try them out on an audience. Add 6 months of touring and then another album seems right to me. Since how irritated Bono was with Fanning playing Zoo Station I don't think they want the album to be a flash in the pan but something that people will return to. The next album will probably be the more adventurous one but also one that is less likely to have hits but hardcore fans will love.

I'm just guessing here. They'll play NA and Europe once (2 legs) before releasing SOE. They'll want to get the most out of these songs from SOI to see what works live. Add in Invisible and the 2 new tracks that we haven't heard yet. There is 14 new songs they'll need to choose from just to start the tour.
By this time next year, we could be seeing SOE. At this point, we would be seeing the tour expand to the south of the equator and then 2nd NA and Europe. The staples from SOI would be fairly set by then.
Again, just guessing.

It can't be too much sooner because they want this album to not be overshadowed by a new record so soon. In 12 months it'll be the beginning of the tour where they put on SOI songs and try them out on an audience. Add 6 months of touring and then another album seems right to me. Since how irritated Bono was with Fanning playing Zoo Station I don't think they want the album to be a flash in the pan but something that people will return to. The next album will probably be the more adventurous one but also one that is less likely to have hits but hardcore fans will love.

Interesting, hadn't thought about it that way. Works for me though, especially if they do get experimental with SoE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom