New Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vox1254

The Fly
What do you guys think? Should the boys mix it up again and come back with a different sound? I'm thinkin they won't cuz it seems like each era comes in 3's...

1. Boy - War

2. Fire - Rattle

3. Achtung - Pop

4. ATYCLB, Atomic, ______

That's my guess. But personally, I wouldn't mind them going in the direction of Love and Peace. Something dirty and hard hitting, but with a little electronic sound to it.

What sucks is that I doubt U2 will ever be as experimental as they were 10 years ago. I know that each album will always be somewhat different from the last. Maybe I'm hoping for the unreachable. But after we all went to Vertigo 05, we know the boys can stick rock out!

I don't think we will see a drastic change for the next album. They've had too much success with the past 2 albums to change. I have a feeling they will do an album similiar to the past two, they will get some negative feedback from the critics, and that is what will inspire them to mix it up for the album after that.

Kind of like after Rattle and Hum and Pop.

Chizip said:
I don't think we will see a drastic change for the next album. They've had too much success with the past 2 albums to change. I have a feeling they will do an album similiar to the past two, they will get some negative feedback from the critics, and that is what will inspire them to mix it up for the album after that.

Kind of like after Rattle and Hum and Pop.

Probably.

But if it's like Pop I'll love it and declare it the best thing ever made by anyone ever :wink:

Yeah I'll agree with the fact the next record will be similar to ATYCLB and Atomic. I remember when everyone was excited that U2 went back to "their roots" with ATYCLB and to put all that Pop business behind them. But now some people are wanting some more change. I think that's what has carried the long lasting U2 fans is that they (for the most part) embrace the changes U2 makes in their sound. But even behind all the effects is still pure U2.

Re: Re: New Sound

Chizip said:

Sounds like Mofo and Do You Feel Loved :hmm:

Or Miami.... Or Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me.... Or Last Night On Earth....

So Chizip, you predict great things in the future privided the next album is a flop? :hmm:

Maybe we should all vow to not buy the next album then.

Vox1254 said:

1. Boy - War

2. Fire - Rattle

3. Achtung - Pop

1. Boy, October, War

2. UF, JT, R&H

3. AB, Zooropa, Passengers

4. Pop, ATYCLB, HTDAAB

5. *a new trilogy*

????????????????????

I don't know if I'd group Pop with ATYCLB and HTDAAB... :huh: Since Passengers was more of a side-project (as lovely as it was :drool: ) I don't know if it fits.

yes it doesn't .....we are in the middle of the 4th one, so we should expect another great rock straight from the heart album......and man what a fantastic era this is
ATYCLB-HTDAAB:drool:

Vox1254 said:
What do you guys think? Should the boys mix it up again and come back with a different sound? I'm thinkin they won't cuz it seems like each era comes in 3's...

1. Boy - War

2. Fire - Rattle

3. Achtung - Pop

That's my guess. But personally, I wouldn't mind them going in the direction of Love and Peace. Something dirty and hard hitting, but with a little electronic sound to it.

They're probably going in the direction of "Mercy" which means more of pretty much the same, which is fine. However "Fire" sounded nothing like "Rattle". I'd love to see another dirty album of "American" songs like "Rattle" or another Irish album about America like "Joshua". I predict that whatever happens, it will sound nothing like "ATYCLB."

GibsonGirl said:
I don't know if I'd group Pop with ATYCLB and HTDAAB... :huh: Since Passengers was more of a side-project (as lovely as it was :drool: ) I don't know if it fits.

i dont know if id group War with October or Unforgettable Fire with Rattle and Hum either. Hence why I think the "trilogy" theory is overrated. The only real trilogy were the 90's cds, and even then you had a 4th album that was basically U2, so that blows up the trilogy thing too.

I wouldn't mind an album of really artsy slow songs. I think they should go in the direction of songs like IGWSHA or NASOTR or Stateless or The First Time or Your Blue Room...

I think they could pull it off and it would be more true to who they are as people now that they are getting a bit older. Moreso than stuff like Vertigo or Elevation which kind of comes off as old men singing juvenile songs. I think then need to embrace who they are rather than try to appeal to a generation that is 30 years younger than them.

Hoodlem said:
I wouldn't mind an album of really artsy slow songs. I think they should go in the direction of songs like IGWSHA or NASOTR or Stateless or The First Time or Your Blue Room...

I think they could pull it off and it would be more true to who they are as people now that they are getting a bit older. Moreso than stuff like Vertigo or Elevation which kind of comes off as old men singing juvenile songs. I think then need to embrace who they are rather than try to appeal to a generation that is 30 years younger than them.

I agree with this, actually. As much as I'd like to hear U2 go experimental again with all guns firing, something like this could work just as well. Some of the stuff they did on the MDH soundtrack was lovely (ah, Falling At Your Feet), and not nearly as vomit-inducing as certain slower tracks on ATYCLB/HTDAAB. The only thing that might place a hamper on that whole idea is the live setting. They seem write some songs with the mind-set of "this has to rock everyone out of the stadium in order for it to be good." A slow, artsy album wouldn't really do that.

Still, I like the sounds of that. :up:

Chizip said:

i dont know if id group War with October or Unforgettable Fire with Rattle and Hum either. Hence why I think the "trilogy" theory is overrated. The only real trilogy were the 90's cds, and even then you had a 4th album that was basically U2, so that blows up the trilogy thing too.

I kind of agree, but it's more like they're building to each other

Boy - the sound's established
October - Similar sound of Boy with their Christian doses, strong drumming
War - The strong drumming returns with anthems of war and all that good stuff

UF - soundscapes and kind of an ethereal thing established
JT - expanded upon here but trying to use some American influenced stuff
Rattle and Hum - the American roots further explored and done with mixed responses

so you have to have the one album to get to the other I guess

I would personally LOOOVE a more jazzy MDH style album next. Ground Beneath Her Feet, Falling at your Feet, Stateless are all wonderful. An all U2 album like that (throw in some Your Blue Room/One Step Closer type songs for good measure) would be a dream come true.

shaun vox: punk rock made on UR-ANUS!
shaun vox you're great :lol: maybe they invent a new type of rock with their next album... ANUS ROCK :up:

btw over x-mas i watched the dvd of the zoo tv show 08-16-1992 in washington d.c. (thanx to PONKINE !). great show with very cool versions of MW, BTBS & LIB, but i was amazed by the raunchy version of DESIRE...this would be a cool sound for the next album.

GibsonGirl said:

I agree with this, actually. As much as I'd like to hear U2 go experimental again with all guns firing, something like this could work just as well. Some of the stuff they did on the MDH soundtrack was lovely (ah, Falling At Your Feet), and not nearly as vomit-inducing as certain slower tracks on ATYCLB/HTDAAB. The only thing that might place a hamper on that whole idea is the live setting. They seem write some songs with the mind-set of "this has to rock everyone out of the stadium in order for it to be good." A slow, artsy album wouldn't really do that.

dude, maybe U2 should do a double album, like the Foo Fighters. One artsy slower album (MDH :drool: ) and one full-on raw rock album like nothing they've ever done before.

It'll never happen. But it'd be cool.

Or if they did an album with just slower stuff, instead of worrying about playing Still Haven't Found and WOWY or whatever, on tour they could bring out all their hardest rockers - The Fly, Mofo, Last Night on Earth, God Part II, Exit... :drool: that could make an interesting tour indeed!!

All of them (I think, maybe not Edge) have said that they want to start experimenting again. I think Larry said that ATYCLB and HTDAAB were a nice sidetrack, but the band has to start experimenting again if they're going to keep making records.

gherman said:
I think it is going to go towards the sound of Mercy. More with finding a sound of desperation than rock and hope.

There's a lot of truth in this statement! I think all 3 sounds are necessary for a good album.....

I would die with joy if they made an album with ambient stuff like The First Time/Your Blue Room/Velvet Dress/Slug type sruff. I just LOOOVE that type of "blue" ambient stuff that you can fall asleep to.

GibsonGirl said:

I absolutely agree with this...MDH and Passengers are fucking brilliant! :drool: :applaud:

AtomicBono said:

dude, maybe U2 should do a double album, like the Foo Fighters. One artsy slower album (MDH :drool: ) and one full-on raw rock album like nothing they've ever done before.

It'll never happen. But it'd be cool.

Or if they did an album with just slower stuff, instead of worrying about playing Still Haven't Found and WOWY or whatever, on tour they could bring out all their hardest rockers - The Fly, Mofo, Last Night on Earth, God Part II, Exit... :drool: that could make an interesting tour indeed!!

That would be awesome but it takes them four years to get an album out as it is, if they made a double album, it would take them until 2016. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom