New Album Vs. Bono's Humanitarianism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OwnershipIsALie

Babyface
First, this is my first post. I've been reading this site for a while, so I decided to register and start posting.
WIth all the wait for the new album, many people have criticized Bono for doing all his humanitarian work and being away from teh studio. If you ask me, I would rather Bono use all of his time to help the marginalized and impoverished human beings in our world than play music. If no U2 album is ever released again because Bono is too busy helping others, then I support that wholeheartedly. That's what the music is all about. In Wake Up Dead Man, when Bono sings, "Jesus, Jesus help me. I'm alone in this world, and a fucked-up world it is, too" he is talking about human rights not being met. So should he keep singing about it or do something to help?
Now, of course, I realize that making music reaches many people, and I would prefer really that Bono do both music and humanitarian work, but I just think it's important that people realize what really matters. Thanks for hearing me out.

I think by splitting his time between both efforts, that the music suffers in the sense of time - we're not getting any younger here. Since I am greedy, I would prefer that U2 put out 5 more excellent albums over the next 10 years, do a few more tours, and then focus on Africa. I know it sounds awful, but I really enjoy the music.

In my opinion he's doing both quite admirably and I think it is what works for him. After all, he is master of his on fate and he's the one that decides what he is capable of doing. Everyone knows how much he loves music and his love for his fellow man is equal to if not greater than his love of music. I don't see him giving either of these passions up. I do see him becoming more involved with his efforts to save the people some of the rest of the world doesn't deem necessary to save. And if that means he continues to use his rock star status to do it, well that just means he will have to continue to put out more albums and stay in the spot light. Which is good for Africa and U2 fans all around.

This topic comes up every once in a while and I also say: why can't he be doing both? Giving us the music AND helping out Africa?

I think that this wait in particular got long not so much because of his travels but (apart from U2 having trouble making it IMO) because of the second Best of. Remember the first Best of was just re-working one song, and basically put together the hits and B-sides. This time around there were two new songs, and several (5) new remixes.

Last edited:
U2girl, putting out a best of and reqorking a song or two, should not delay this new album....this album has been delayed for many reasons including nice long breaks for all 4 members (much needed after a huge tour), and Bono criss crossing all over the world to raise money (a very admirable task, but time spent lobbying for $ has kept him out of the studio).

I think that this could possible be the lads' last album and tour. They are all in their mid-40's now, and they are way too aware of their own legacy to ever become a caricature of themselves. They will go out their way - on top. I honestly can't see them doing this when they're 50.

PS - Having said all of this, I can't wait to hear the new record. Despite all of the bashing that ATYCLB gets on this site, I thought it was a brilliant record.

PS - Meant to say this in my earlier posting:

I know this is inconsistent with the intended subject matter of this thread...and that it has been discussed to death on this site, but I watched the Live at Slane DVD the other day. It is so amazing, and sooooooooooo much better than Live in Boston.

Numb1075 said:
I think by splitting his time between both efforts, that the music suffers in the sense of time - we're not getting any younger here. Since I am greedy, I would prefer that U2 put out 5 more excellent albums over the next 10 years, do a few more tours, and then focus on Africa. I know it sounds awful, but I really enjoy the music.

I totally agree with this...plus I don't really think, to be brutally honest, that Bono has actually influenced many people to change their views on the issues he campaigns for simply because he supports them, especially compared with the number of people he influences with his music. I know it sounds selfish and I support Bono totally in his humanitarian campaigns but, Bono, please concentrate on bringing us a few more albums before you call it a day...then you'll have all the time in the world for campaning

The selfishness of some people astounds me. So you'd rather Bono makes music now and helps people later? Right, so you want him to make music while people die? Dire situations can't just be put on hold because you'd like twelve new songs.

Like I said, I of course support him in his campaigns, but I want him to concentrate mainly on making music for now, especially when U2's songs influence so many more people than Bono's campaigns do. I personally doubt Bono's campaigning has actually swayed anyone's opinions on it's own, though it adds to the weight of those campaigns in general. However, if say he sits down and writes an emotional song about the African debt, maybe it will reach some of those people who don't read the news.

I agree 100% with sue4u2, axver and U2girl!:yes:

The Edge, Adam and Paul McGuinness have all been quoted over the last few years stating that Bono's time AWAY from the band doing the thing which is MOST IMPORTANT to him next to his music (i.e., advocating for Justice for Africa) has actually been A GOOD THING FOR HIM AND U2 because it allows him to express ideas and feelings which are part of who Bono is as a person.

And expressing himself at his deepest level allows Bono to come back to his music with MORE HEART, MORE SOUL, MORE LOVE to share with all of us in his music! :yes:

They have further alluded to the idea that if Bono did not follow his "inner voice" and do what he KNOWS HE NEEDS TO DO NOW to help Africa's Future, he would probably not create as GOOD MUSIC with U2 as he does.

He would be frustrated with himself and maybe angry with the others in his life - U2, Principle, us fans/followers,etc. and that situation could not lead to GREAT MUSIC! :ohmy:

So, I think we should just BE GRATEFUL that U2 is still together and still making GREAT MUSIC and are still willing to share part of their lives with all of us! :hug:

And I think we should just stand back and ADMIRE THE MIRACLE IN OUR LIVES NAMED BONO! :bono: :heart: :heart: :angel: ;)

Back
Top Bottom