NEW album in next 6 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

While what you described could lead to the band slowing down, it could also do the opposite and cause them to speed up. They realise they don't have all the time they used to have, and their age doesn't help sell albums in today's world, so I'm wondering if they're going to try to get out as much as they can now.

ok..but you know their motto.. about "crap" albums.. I think they still believe in that. I don't see them rushing to put this album out this year..

U2Fanatic4ever said:

ok..but you know their motto.. about "crap" albums.. I think they still believe in that. I don't see them rushing to put this album out this year..

I don't see them putting anything out this year either - I don't see how the crap albums point is relevant, though. Quick doesn't equal crap. Sitting on it for too long, over-producing it, and going into perfectionist-let's-pick-it-all-to-pieces mode can lead to crap, however.

Niceman said:
U2 will release an album in 2006 if they want to. They can. They have enough material and they have done it faster in the past. It just comes down to what they WANT to do.

They WANT it. :hyper:

I think 2008 is more likely though.

Why would they sit on a record that's probably 1/4 of the way done? :huh:
You're just being negative for the sake of being negative; there's little actual logic to your reasoning.

Fall 2007 at the latest (or MOST REALISTIC. lol)

Axver said:

Sitting on it for too long, over-producing it, and going into perfectionist-let's-pick-it-all-to-pieces mode can lead to crap, however.

You just described the recording process for The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. :shrug: :wink:

Yes they can overproduce. But they also typically do their best work when they take their time, as their two best albums IMO would show.

The lyrics need work, but oh, this sounds so good, I want it now. Just a single. Edge plays incredible.
That song number 5 is just so unlike the U2 we've seen up until now.

Blue Room said:

You just described the recording process for The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. :shrug: :wink:

Yes they can overproduce. But they also typically do their best work when they take their time, as their two best albums IMO would show.

Well, that would explain why Achtung Baby sucks. :wink:

And did they really do that for The Joshua Tree? If I remember correctly, the sessions didn't take place until sometime in 1986 and were interrupted by the Conspiracy Of Hope tour, and seeing the album was out early the next year, it seems to me they didn't take as long on JT as they did on the last couple of albums.

There are no accidents.

They wanted to leak this.

In this day of digital, they had to know that this would be around the world in a matter of hours.

This smells like the beginning of pre-album hype.:drool: :drool:

LemonMelon said:

Why would they sit on a record that's probably 1/4 of the way done? :huh:
You're just being negative for the sake of being negative; there's little actual logic to your reasoning.

Fall 2007 at the latest (or MOST REALISTIC. lol)

Number one, how do you know the album is 1/4ths done after hearing muffled clips of 4 songs? Even if an album was eminent these songs might not even be on it. Number two, for the sake of argument. Say they are 1/4ths done. U2 typically takes 2 years to record an album. So that is another year and a half at least, and they are doing a tour this fall winter. Thats why I say 2008. They will hit the road again in late 2008 and/or early 2009. I think fall 2007 is feasible but not super realistic given how U2 typically operate. I'm not being negative or pessimistic. I'm just looking at U2's history over the last 15 years and I dont see them suddenly changing their ways. Its just not what they do. They have a big time comfort zone with this stuff. Just like they do with the way they do things live. :shrug:

I guess we will know quickly, September is almost here with the "single" that appears to be a foregone conclusion to some based on complete internet rumor and muffled clips is eminent!

Axver said:

Well, that would explain why Achtung Baby sucks. :wink:

And did they really do that for The Joshua Tree? If I remember correctly, the sessions didn't take place until sometime in 1986 and were interrupted by the Conspiracy Of Hope tour, and seeing the album was out early the next year, it seems to me they didn't take as long on JT as they did on the last couple of albums.

I'm not 100% sure but I think they started rough work on The Joshua Tree in the fall of 85. I just know they worked some songs on JT to death. IE Where The Streets Have No Name and Red Hill Mining Town.

Blue Room said:

Number one, how do you know the album is 1/4ths done after hearing muffled clips of 4 songs? Even if an album was eminent these songs might not even be on it. Number two, for the sake of argument. Say they are 1/4ths done. U2 typically takes 2 years to record an album. So that is another year and a half at least, and they are doing a tour this fall winter. Thats why I say 2008. They will hit the road again in late 2008 and/or early 2009. I think fall 2007 is feasible but not super realistic given how U2 typically operate. I'm not being negative or pessimistic. I'm just looking at U2's history over the last 15 years and I dont see them suddenly changing their ways. Its just not what they do. They have a big time comfort zone with this stuff. Just like they do with the way they do things live. :shrug:

I guess we will know quickly, September is almost here with the "single" that appears to be a foregone conclusion to some based on complete internet rumor and muffled clips is eminent!

Why 1/4? Given for the lack of actual information on these new clips (that are not being performed, but are on a CD, most likely) and no information on a producer (it's probably Edge & Lanois) that's certainly a strike against the 2006 theory. However, that U2 have said they will use songs from the HTDAAB sessions, probably 4 or 5, that's a good chunk. However, those will need mastering, and possible re-recording.

I see it this way: if there's something we don't know that will substantially move the album's date forward, I say Christmas (sometime in mid December, after Hawaii) 2006. If they don't have that, then they will be in the studio in January. This could take till late spring to finish, so they'll probably sit on it till September when the first single will be released and so on. October 2007 will be the album's release date. Tour 2008.

And there you go.

But if they release a 2006 album there would be no US Tour...

Not a chance. I actually think it will be mid-2007, as opposed to waiting for Christmas-time.

phillyfan26 said:

Not a chance. I actually think it will be mid-2007, as opposed to waiting for Christmas-time.

That's a possibility, considering their precarious situation.

LemonMelon said:

Why 1/4? Given for the lack of actual information on these new clips (that are not being performed, but are on a CD, most likely) and no information on a producer (it's probably Edge & Lanois) that's certainly a strike against the 2006 theory. However, that U2 have said they will use songs from the HTDAAB sessions, probably 4 or 5, that's a good chunk. However, those will need mastering, and possible re-recording.

I see it this way: if there's something we don't know that will substantially move the album's date forward, I say Christmas (sometime in mid December, after Hawaii) 2006. If they don't have that, then they will be in the studio in January. This could take till late spring to finish, so they'll probably sit on it till September when the first single will be released and so on. October 2007 will be the album's release date. Tour 2008.

And there you go.

U2 typically record or have at least 20 to 25 songs they weed down to an album when they record. They have leftovers from other sessions all the time. Didnt speed up the process much in the past. Thats why I think 2008, but like I said, 2007 is feasible, I wouldnt shocked either way if it was late 2007 with a tour in 2008 like you said. But I wont be shocked if its not until 2008 either. I think the least likely is an album this year or before the spring of next year.

phillyfan26 said:

How cool would it be to release it and then extend the tour to bring the stadium show to the US, only key areas so they could easily sell them out...:drool:

Oh well, I'll stop dreaming.

U2 are perfectly aware of these songs being taped by someone on the beach, and knowing them to float the Internet minutes later. The same thing happened before Bomb. Why would they want unfinished material leaking, when they easily could prevent that from happening? (surely they must have learned this by now) My guess is, that these new beachclips are songs in the mixing stage of record making. Meaning the initial recordings are done by now, for these songs at least. Many things can happen in the mix, so the songs might change somewhat before release, but I’m sure these arrangements are pretty much done.
If the songs are in the mixing stage, anything could happen really!
They could release an album this year, and use the rescheduled tour dates to promote the album, then come back in the new year with a short club tour. Maybe they are getting tired of the constant touring, and just want to focus on making new music for the next couple of years. I’m not saying this is what’s going to happen, but it could!

Actually, I don’t really hear these new songs as big anthems that would be suited for stadiums. They are more like intimate, spiritual and personal songs, like the psalms Bono speaks so highly of. It’s hard to hear the exact words in these clips, but the music has that feeling about it. At least that’s what I hear in them so far.

Folkelig said:
U2 are perfectly aware of these songs being taped by someone on the beach, and knowing them to float the Internet minutes later. The same thing happened before Bomb. Why would they want unfinished material leaking, when they easily could prevent that from happening? (surely they must have learned this by now) My guess is, that these new beachclips are songs in the mixing stage of record making. Meaning the initial recordings are done by now, for these songs at least. Many things can happen in the mix, so the songs might change somewhat before release, but I’m sure these arrangements are pretty much done.
They could release an album this year, and use the rescheduled tour dates to promote the album, then come back in the new year with a short club tour. Maybe they are getting tired of the constant touring, and just want to focus on making new music for the next couple of years. I’m not saying this is what’s going to happen, but it could!

Actually, I don’t really hear these new songs as big anthems that would be suited for stadiums. They are more like intimate, spiritual and personal songs, like the psalms Bono speaks so highly of. It’s hard to hear the exact words in these clips, but the music has that feeling about it. At least that’s what I hear in them so far.

I love this post. :up: I agree 100% :)

Folkelig said:

:up: of course, you never know, U2 had plenty of "finished" songs in 2003 and look what happened there... but, seems strange that they'd blast songs like this if they didn't want people to hear them. 402 and 404 are the only ones that sound really complete to me though, 400 and 403 could use some work possibly and 409 just ends abruptly and something else stops...then the clip just stops...I wonder what that's all about

2006 would be a dream, but my guess is 2007. I don't think it will be as late as 2008.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

How cool would it be to release it and then extend the tour to bring the stadium show to the US, only key areas so they could easily sell them out...:drool:

Oh well, I'll stop dreaming.

I NEED TO SEE THEM PLAY A STADIUM SHOW IN PHILLY.

I NEED TO.

All of this is very interesting but as much as I want it, I just don't see an album for awhile. They are first wrapping up HTDAAB, they wouldn't release an album that wasn't followed shortly by a tour.

one4u2 said:
All of this is very interesting but as much as I want it, I just don't see an album for awhile. They are first wrapping up HTDAAB, they wouldn't release an album that wasn't followed shortly by a tour.

HTDAAB has been wrapped up. It's been put in its box, and sent somewhere far, far away. The remaining dates are just because of obligation.

And they don't need a 5 leg tour to promote an album; they're U2. 3 legs max would suffice.

one4u2 said:

But wouldn't a new album act as Zooropa did in adding new songs. I wouldn't expect more than a three or four leg tour if they released this in late 2006 or early 2007.

LemonMelon said:

HTDAAB has been wrapped up. It's been put in its box, and sent somewhere far, far away. The remaining dates are just because of obligation.

And they don't need a 5 leg tour to promote an album; they're U2. 3 legs max would suffice.

I hear ya but they are just coming off a tour, theres no way IMO

All I am saying is that "no way" is inherently wrong. Of course there is a way. Just say you doubt or it is unlikely.

bsp77 said:
All I am saying is that "no way" is inherently wrong. Of course there is a way. Just say you doubt or it is unlikely.

Do you really need to pick people's words apart so much?

I think the people here are smart enough to realize that it's just an opinion.

Back
Top Bottom