Native Son...months later

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Native Son...months later

Flying FuManchu said:
That is the exact opposite of over-polished IMO unless you're saying a well constructed song is over-polished.
Well, you'll notice I put 'polished' in commas since I was unsure of the sound...but I tihnk it just sounds too overblown in terms of a track with so little overdubs :huh:

Its funny how Lillywhite says they double tracked Bono's voice for Vertigo because they got rid of the double track before they singled it (if you check the HTDAAB Bonus DVD video, they have a clip of Vertigo Studio Video with the double tracking still in it, and a slight lyric change as well, Bono originally said "sparkle" instead of "twinkle").. I guess Lillywhite has never been involved with a U2 song with Bono's voice double tracked but its been done many times: Discotheque, Mysterious Ways, If God Would Send His Angels... they did it on HTDAAB a few times as well (ABOY, Crumbs)

I thought the leaked Spaniard clip had always sound liked it had two vocal tracks. Hard to tell, of course but I spent so much time cleaning it up for everyone that's exactly what I thought I heard.

Also the same version with the "power cut" in it. Very likely the same version you speak of.

I think it was Adam that described it well (the songs pre and post Lillywhite) - the difference is that if you listen to the a million times they will still have a spark to them. I believe that's the case with Native Son v's Vertigo. I love them both, but back to back after months and years of hearing them, I think Vertigo wins.

you're right bcrt2000, but there is a difference between straight double tracking and layering/texturing

bcrt2000 said:
Its funny how Lillywhite says they double tracked Bono's voice for Vertigo because they got rid of the double track before they singled it (if you check the HTDAAB Bonus DVD video, they have a clip of Vertigo Studio Video with the double tracking still in it, and a slight lyric change as well, Bono originally said "sparkle" instead of "twinkle").. I guess Lillywhite has never been involved with a U2 song with Bono's voice double tracked but its been done many times: Discotheque, Mysterious Ways, If God Would Send His Angels... they did it on HTDAAB a few times as well (ABOY, Crumbs)

I've noticed that, and I like the double-tracked voice on that Vertigo version....

in my opinion...

there are aspects of 'native son' that are tremendous, but when compared as a whole, i feel that 'vertigo' is the stronger track.

'vertigo' is obviously a rougher, more jagged sounding track, and more adequately accomplishes U2's "goal" of writing a song that competes with the garage-rock (hives, strokes, killers, secret machines, etc) that had been bringing rock music back into the mainstream - though not necessarily in a good way. U2 wanted to show that they could compete with that and 'vertigo' probably obtains that goal better than a more polished 'native son' would have. and truth be told, most of us want to see U2 in the limelight, and, as has been already stated, 'vertigo' probably did more for U2 and the new album; though obviously without a proper release for 'native son', we'll never really know.

i also think that it is worth noting that the best part of 'vertigo' - edge's guitar "solo" - is barely audible and covered by clapping in 'native son'. but yes, saving bono's climactic "freeee" from 'native son' would have been great, if not throat ravaging during a tour.

james

Back
Top Bottom