My newest album - Rattle And Hum!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C0BL_04

Babyface
I just bought Rattle And Hum, came home and listened to it, and here's what I thought. I already knew Desire, Angel of Harlem, When Love Comes to Town, and All I Want is You from Best of 1980 - 1990.

Helter Skelter - 3.5/5
This is a really rocking song! Why did U2 never record a studio version of this? The lyrics are repetitive and let it down though.

Van Diemen's Land - 2/5
This doesn't really sound like Bono on the rest of the album - maybe it's a leftover from the earlier albums? Were they desperate to add more studio tracks to this album or something? It really needs more instrumentation. A bit boring, and the weird chuckling at the end doesn't suit the song.

Desire - 4/5

Hawkmoon 269 - 3.5/5
I thought this had a really cool long intro? I found it a bit long and the lyrics don't say much.

All Along The Watchtower - 4/5
I don't get why there isn't a studio version of this either. Much better lyrics than Helter Skelter, though it doesn't quite rock as much.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - 2/5
This is an awful performance! I didn't like those singers at the end at all. U2 should just do their songs by themselves, they don't need extra backing vocalists.

Freedom For My People - 3/5
This is a strange inclusion, I kinda enjoyed it even though it's not a full track.

Silver And Gold - 4.5/5
I love Edge's blues solo! Great political lyrics. Best song on the album so far.

Pride (In The Name Of Love) - 2.5/5
I thought this would be really good because I like the Best of 1980 - 1990 version. This performance is boring, though. I hope the original on the Unforgettable Fire isn't boring like this.

Angel Of Harlem - 4/5

Love Rescue Me - 2.5/5
I think this song is too long. The lyrics don't really say much either, I thought Bono could write better about love than asking it to rescue him. From what?

When Love Comes To Town - 3.5/5

Heartland - 3.5/5
I can see why Axver and Aardvark747 like this one! Nice lyrics...not sure if I like Bono's vocals at the end though, and the outro is such a waste of time, it should be shorter. Same for All I Want Is You.

God Part II - 4/5
Where's Part I? I don't think it's on any other U2 album...was it a b-side? I'd love to hear it, to see how it connects with this song. Can someone YSI it? Bono sounds really angry, some of his lyrics don't make sense but he sings well and Edge plays a cool solo that was even better live.

The Star Spangled Banner - 2/5
Why not the Irish anthem? I like how it connects with the start of Bullet The Blue Sky though.

Bullet The Blue Sky - 4/5
Wow, this rocks more than on the Joshua Tree! But who's the preacher? Why can't Bono tell the difference? I don't think hillbilly blues like When Love Comes To Town sounds anything like ABC News or a preacher...this really takes away from a great live performance.

All I Want Is You - 3/5

I didn't really think this album is as good as the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, but I love how they included live performances of a couple of songs that were never recorded. I think Helter Skelter is a glimpse of what came on Achtung Baby, like Even Better Than The Real Thing. It seemed like a lot of this album was recycling old ideas though, like Van Diemen's Land and most of the live tracks, which were kind of disappointing and broke the flow. I still really enjoyed listening to it, though! Maybe I'll play it again tomorrow. Silver And Gold's blues solo really makes the album!

What do you guys think about Rattle And Hum?

Some answers to your questions about the album:

"Helter Skelter" and "All Along the Watchtower" don't have studio versions because they're covers, and for whatever reason, U2 wanted to make a messy half-live album. Just about any Lovetown boot will have a much better version of "Watchtower," or better yet, grab the Hendrix version if you don't already have it.

Edge wrote and sang "Van Diemen's Land." There's an interview snippet at the end (in case you only heard the chuckling, since it's quiet).

Bob Dylan plays the hammond organ on "Hawkmoon 269," and they probably let him drag it out a bit because, hey, he's Bob Dylan.

Edge's "blues" solo on "Silver and Gold" is soooo not the blues. Bono is crazy.

"Love Rescue Me" is basically a gospel song, so you could infer that he (and Dylan again) is asking love to save him from the temptation and depravity of the world and whatnot.

The original "God" is a John Lennon song. "God (Part II)" is dedicated to him.

They used "The Star-Spangled Banner" because "Bullet the Blue Sky" is about America, and there happens to be a legendary performance of it by Jimi Hendrix that they could use.

Bono's making fun of televangelists during "Bullet"; he'd develop that more during Zoo TV (specifically with Mirror Ball Man).

(Edit: Actually, read the Wikipedia article on the album. It explains a lot of the musical homages, which'll help you understand the album.)

I think there are some good songs on it, but the presentation takes a lot away from it.

I actually loved the live version of "Pride" when I got the album (and I'd heard the studio version first, even). You're certainly not alone in disliking it, though. I prefer the studio version of it now, though (possibly because all my bootlegs completely ruined the song for me live).

Last edited:
wow, i was just writing a response with all those same answers you just gave

now i ask, why is COBL's post count 1?

Chizip said:

Because it's C0BL_04, now isn't it? Look carefully....:shrug:

COBL, have you seen the Rattle & Hum film? I'm guessing no. It isn't that hard to find at video rental stores, try a few and see if you can find it, or if you want to kinda go off course from your album buying plan, get the Rattle & Hum DVD next. Much of this album will make so much more sense then - 'Freedom for My People', the gospel singers in Still Haven't Found, All Along the Watchtower etc. I think you'll gain a far better appreciation and understanding of it once you've seen the film.

Chizip said:

I forgot my login details :)reject:) so I made this account.

Thank you to typhoon, I didn't know all of that stuff. Edge sings Van Diemen's Land? He sounded so much like Bono to me, like the vocals could have been on War. I wish they had played some better music for that song, it's not exciting enough, like Love Rescue Me and the long outros that waste time. I don't get why Bono would write a sequel to a John Lennon song ...

C0BL_04 said:
I don't get why Bono would write a sequel to a John Lennon song ...
Because he wanted to tell a musician who inspired him how much that meant to him, and he was eight years too late, so he wrote a song instead.

The entire album is a tribute to their influences.

What the hell is going on??? Why is there another account under the name of C0BL_04?? I registered in June 2005, not October! Is there another user who is C0BL_04 not COBL_04?

:confused:

Last edited:
Does anyone else think the guy who sings at the end of I Still Haven't Found... on R&H sounds really much like George Michael?!

it's just slow and rubbish and the "charles manson stole this from the beatles...." line at the start is just:yuck: :shrug:

Oasis have done a live version of that song and it's much better.

I like both versions of Helter skelter (and hey, Bono can handle the voice much better than Paul McCarntey), I think many people misunderstood the Charles Manson line and the movie.

Helter Skelter is not Helter Skelter unless the drummer yells out "IVE GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS" at the end of it....classic!

Rattle and Hum, well I can't help but criticise the album and I label it as U2's worst offering so far...

Pretentious would be a good word for it. Incoherent would be an even better word for it...

A Mess, a hastily released mess....

Should have been released as a movie on it's own.

If you've got new songs, save them for a full studio album release.

Hawkmoon 269 - 3.5/5
I thought this had a really cool long intro? I found it a bit long and the lyrics don't say much.

No way, dude! Those lyrics are amazing! Eeeeee. :p And Edge sounds great on VDL, not like Bono :(

And for the record, me loves Helter Skelter.

Lol, yeah I feel like disagreeing, today.

God Part II is def a 5/5, it's my favorite off the album. The main rif is just so badass Without God Part II, there might not have been Achtung Baby, remember. :rockon:

This is also my latest U2 album, only 2 more to go.....

...this album has a different feel to it. It doesn't seem to flow well for me but I like some of the individual songs on it.

COBL_04 said:
What the hell is going on??? Why is there another account under the name of C0BL_04?? I registered in June 2005, not October! Is there another user who is C0BL_04 not COBL_04?

:confused:

I've taken care of the problem for you.

Not funny, in my opinion.

How would I go down on an album where a song called All I Want is You reminds me everytime of a wonderful girl with whom I was in love..................
Great Times.............................Great Times...........................:sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom