My Campus Newspaper Blows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
So I'm sitting in my World Lit class, reading the paper and waiting for class to actually begin (I'm anal--have to get there early to get "my" seat). And lo and behold the editorial catches my eye. It is titled:

"U2...and the 6 o'clock news?"

In this piece of junk, the staff writers are basically trying to say that radio is profiting off of the horrible tragedy. And the people profiting the most are U2.

I don't know how you feel about this, but I'm certain that when Peace on Earth was written, or Stuck in a Moment, or even Walk On, that the "evil" guys of U2 were not hoping for some deplorable tragedy in which they would profit off of these songs.

The paper also said that these 3 songs were written in association with different events
(the suicide of Michael Hutchence, for ex.), and that it is "unfair of us to grab that song for our own profit!"

I hope I'm making some sense. I'm just pissed off.
mad.gif

Now I am off to write a super letter to the editor to tell them how much they suck!
tongue.gif

------------------
outta my brain on the 5:15

[This message has been edited by ~LadyLemon~ (edited 09-18-2001).]

Is there an email address? Or physical address? I'm sure we'd all like a chance to clear our bands name!!!

Ok.. that is one of the more stupid things I have heard today. I hear very many stupid things though, and this doesn't quite take the cake. But it's stupid.

Please make sure your letter is polite, witty, and clever while being condescending so as to represent U2 fans as people who are relatively nice, but don't stand for bullshit like this.

Campus newspaper reporters are pretty stupid, in general. I should know, as my school has the largest one in America I believe, and they're all full of stupid people.

I have two theories on this:

1) Inflammatory, baseless comments leads to more "Letters to the Editor," and, hence, being proof of readership.

2) They, like many people, can't think for themselves, and when it comes time to think to write these articles, it's like a rusty gear that squeaks, barely moves, and needs lubricant.

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

OK, just postet my response to this. I know I should have been brutal, but then those wankers won't publish it.

------------------
outta my brain on the 5:15

Originally posted by melon:
Campus newspaper reporters are pretty stupid, in general. I should know, as my school has the largest one in America I believe, and they're all full of stupid people.

I have two theories on this:

1) Inflammatory, baseless comments leads to more "Letters to the Editor," and, hence, being proof of readership.

2) They, like many people, can't think for themselves, and when it comes time to think to write these articles, it's like a rusty gear that squeaks, barely moves, and needs lubricant.

Melon

Ain't that the truth about our paper...glad to see a liberal agrees on this.
smile.gif

The first part of that reasoning is very true. I've done the majority of my work in media, but anyone can see it. Editorialists are generally paid to get attention, and writing inflammatory comments does the best job of that.

As for the second comment, I would say that is a fair assumption of most people, particularly 15-25 year olds. And please, no one take offense to that...I understand it's a major generalization and those usually shouldn't be made. Just a personal observation.

I dont trust the opinions of most college age people when it comes to U2. Except for U2 fans of course. Most college paper journalists are looking for the newst hippest freshest thing. And of course, they need to not be signed with a major label or that will make them "sell-outs".

Originally posted by U2LA:
I dont trust the opinions of most college age people when it comes to U2. Except for U2 fans of course. Most college paper journalists are looking for the newst hippest freshest thing. And of course, they need to not be signed with a major label or that will make them "sell-outs".

Bang!

You're dead on.

Fans who like bands solely because no one has heard of them are a joke.

Back
Top Bottom