Mission Accomplished: I've successfully dismantled THE BOMB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacobus

Refugee
after nearly a week of heavy rotation i have to rewrite my first impressions. this new album is the BEST since ACHTUNG BABY. the atmosphere is so special here and when i close my eyes i see so many different pictures / imaginary movie scenes / landscapes / places etc. i don't wanna do a single rating of every track again, because i give out a 10/10 to all of them.
its the first time since ACHTUNG BABY, that i can't name my favourite tune. its music goes deep down in a very positive, emotional sense. every track here is on its own right place. yes, the tracking order is perfect. the album is a journey. its a journey beginning at midnight (vertigo), meeting the demons in dreams (love & peace) and shining at the end as the sun comes up (yahweh).
there are so many pictures in my head and so many different moods what - para me - is always a sign of high quality music.
after listening to that crappy sounding snippet of ABOY (beach) i thought by myself (oh my god....?!#x$§). but the album version is sooo much better!!
i've never expected such a quality record again (after their masterpiece AB). i am not sure at the moment, whether AB will still stand on top of my personal faves.
for me its U2s fourth(!) masterpiece (TUF, TJT, AB, HTDAAB). forget POP & forget ATYCLB...some nice tunes on both though...but THE BOMB is the real thing after 13 years. thanks for the music and MAXIMUM RESPECT to all which were involved in the recording process of THE BOMB.

my first impressions after one listening (12 Nov. 2004)
VERTIGO: 7/10 its okay but not outstanding. its a great song live and for party
MIRACLE DRUG: 5/10 the song is overrated and trivial for the first 2 1/2 minutes. don't know how many songs sound similiar to this.
the best part comes from 2:45 to the end...this part saves the song. great guitar, drums and bass and good vocal line.
SYCMIOYO: 5/10 i don't understand the people who say this song is at the same level as e.g. ONE. too much elements of ES, THTBA and TMDH-SoundTrack. i for myself cannot find the magic moments here.
LAPOE: 10/10 YES, YES, YES! this is it!!! best song on the album, very ballsy and full of muscles, great effort of the whole group.
underground-sounding and a special glam factor with some references to T.REX-/LED ZEPPELIN-/BRMC. this song is a MONSTER!!!
COBL: 6/10 another (boring)song about NYC(?). they steel the neon light melody. pirates! ;-)
once again the hickup guitar at 4:03. i just don't like this. all in all the song is too long.
ABOY: 7,5/10 positive surprise. the guitar is big here and very much theWHO. bad singing of Mr. Bono during the refrain.
AMAAW: 9/10 wonderful song with some spurs of desperation. great bass and drums from 3:00. and a sample already used on CRASHED CAR(?). this song reminds me on the ZOOROPA era.
CFYT: 8/10 another longingly song. i believe that esp. this song has a lot of potential to become a classic.
OSC: 6/10 for my gusto another song with too much ingrediences of the MDH-Soundtrack
OOTS: 7/10 nice melody, the refrain is great '...and you feel...'!
but i don't like at all the TGBHF-piano sound. partly too much sugar-candy.
YAWEH: 9/10 this one has really grown on me. YAWEH would be a perfect closer of next years shows.
TOTAL: 7,5/10 well i see a silver lining here. the perfect time for hearing the album is the dawn. the time of the day when the day fights the night. unfortunately some low points here. time will tell whether the album could turn into a classic one.

I don't understand this review at all. First you call the album a masterpiece, say that it might be their best album ever, then trash most of the songs and end by saying only time will tell if it is a classic. I'm kind lost as to whether you like the album or not, or like the album but not most of the songs?? By the way, your song by song numbers come to a total average of 7/10. That's not exactly a classic album and seems a bit harsh for what might be your favorite.

petethechopp said:
I don't understand this review at all. First you call the album a masterpiece, say that it might be their best album ever, then trash most of the songs and end by saying only time will tell if it is a classic. I'm kind lost as to whether you like the album or not, or like the album but not most of the songs?? By the way, your song by song numbers come to a total average of 7/10. That's not exactly a classic album and seems a bit harsh for what might be your favorite.

You read this post wrong.

The album has become a lot better since I first heard the stream on Tuesday. I really can't decide what song I like the best. Sometimes, MD, COBL, ABOY, OOTS are strong songs. It is right now my 4th favorite album.

Last edited:
Jacobus posted his initial review, he now has changed his opinion, basically like the rest of us, it has grown on him. Glad to hear it Jacobus! Great album.

Vertigo (AT FIRST)10/10 (NOW)9/10
Miracle Drug (AT FIRST)9/10 (NOW)8/10
SYCMIOYO (AT FIRST)7/10 (NOW)9/10
LaPoE (AT FIRST)6/10 (NOW)8/10
COBL (AT FIRST)10/10 (NOW)9/10
ABOY (AT FIRST)7/10 (NOW)10/10
AMAAW (AT FIRST)6/10 (NOW)8/10
CFYT (AT FIRST)9/10 (NOW)9/10
OSC (AT FIRST)8/10 (NOW)9/10
OOTS (AT FIRST)9/10 (NOW)10/10
Yaweh (AT FIRST)5/10 (NOW)7/10

@petethechopp: all of my first (7,5/10) impressions i've posted in the 2nd part of my posting. for better understanding its the part with the italic characters. alright? sorry for any sort of complication;)

THE BOMB has really grown on me! still no filler on the record! amazing:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom