MERGED ----> What U2 songs do your radio stations play? + Oh Oh Oh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
What U2 songs do your radio stations play?

Mine play way more old than new.

Classic rock station- (of course these will be old) SBS, NYD, Pride, Streets, WOWY, ISHFWILF, Streets, Angel of Harlem, Desire, When Love Comes to Town.

Modern rock- slogan is 'this ain't your parents' radio station!'- STILL just plays NYD, SBS, and it played Elevation when it was new.

2 stations that play new stuff (but no teenybopper or rapmetal) with older stuff mixed in- SBS, NYD, Pride, Streets, BTBS, WOWY, ISHFWILF, One, Mysterious Ways, WGRYWH are all on regular playlists, you hear at least one every single day. During the Elevation tour when these stations were really avidly pro-U2 you would frequently hear lesser played album songs from JT and AB like RHMT, IGC and UTEOTW, once even ASOH. Since the tour is over I haven't heard them. These stations, which were very highly touting ATYCLB and playing all the songs they could from it, now only play BD regularly. When ES was released they played it a lot, then stopped, played it again right after Best of came out but now you hear BD and NYD more. I'd love to see ES get more airplay.

Hard rock station- Pride, NYD, SBS, Streets, BTBS.

11 o'clock tick tock.

seriously, umm, i only listen to jazz and classical rock stations, so i only hear i will follow, new year's day, pride and where the streets have no name.

my mom's shitty ass station that she listens to plays with or without you, one, pride, desire, beautiful day, and sometimes they play in a little while or walk on. according to my mom. this station sucks so i don't listen to it, they play all this old, tired crap. they still play pink's get the party started like it's a new single.

They play With Or Without You, Still Haven't Found, Beautiful Day...I'm likely to hear those three every day while at work. They also tend to throw in Streets, One and Stuck In A Moment.

They were playing ES for a couple weeks, but I haven't heard it in a while... which is weird, cuz they'll play those first three I mentioned EVERY DAY and it always puzzles me as to why they don't just play ES instead of the older ones. :shrug: I guess I shouldn't complain cuz at least they're playing U2.

The only reason I started listening to the station was to hear ES :lol: and since they're not playing it anymore, I think I'm gonna go back to listening to CDs at work :yes:

My local radio station Century FM, play quite a lot of U2. Usual songs on the playlist are: New Years Day, Pride, Unforgettable Fire, With or Without You, I Still Haven't Found, Where the Streets Have no Name, Angel of Harlem, Mysterious Ways, One, Sweetest Thing, Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment, Walk On and Electrical Storm. They also sometimes play, Desire, When Love Comes to Town, Even Better than the Real Thing, HMTMKMKM, and Discotheque.

oh oh oh

The Sweetest Thing- the female morning presenter on my local ABC station said recently on air that " TheSweetest Thing" is her favourite song...not her favourite u2 song...her favourite song!
Yesterday the local community FM played a great uninterupted set while I was outside washing my car...culminating in Bullet The Blue Sky...good fun.
Triple J get behind U2 new releases and give them lots of publicity. The most commonly heard would be Streets, Beautiful Day and Sweetest Thing I think.
Our local commercial station ( it has the worst ads EVER..my kids say it is torture on the school bus each day, listening to the drivel, in a 35 minute trip, they hear 1 song, the rest is ads!).....but they have been giving "electrical storm" a good spin.
.:yes: :wave:

Songs i have heard on different radio stations here:

WTSHNN
ISHFWILF
WOWY
ONE
MYSTERIOUS WAYS (ALOT OF AIR PLAY)

once or twice:

DESIRE
AIWIY
SBS
NYD
ES

Songs I hear at least twice a week or more:
New Years Day (most of all, probably)
Where the streets have no name
With or without
I still haven't found what I'm looking for
Desire
Pride
Beautiful Day
Sunday bloody sunday
Mysterious ways
One

Song I hear fairly frequently:
Angel of Harlem
Stuck in a moment
The Sweetest Thing
Electrical Storm
All I want is you
Bullet the blue sky
ISHFWILF (Rattle and Hum version)
Even better than the real thing

Heard only a handful of times or once, sometimes just because they were new. I started paying attention in 1995 to U2.
I will follow
Gloria- once
Two hearts beat as one
Bad
The Fly
Stay
Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me
Discotheque- Overplayed in 1997, but never since then.
Staring at the sun- Overplayed in 1997, but since then I hear it once in a great while.
Last night on earth- A couple times when it was new.
Please- Twice
The ground beneath her feet- Quite a few times when it was new.
Walk on- Probably 10 times when it was a single last year.
Elevation- once on radio.

See, I work on a farm, and spend countless hours a day in a tractor/combine/grain semi. There isn't much to do in the cab of a tractor, so my two hobbies are smoking and radio, and they both get me through the day. I listen to the radio all day, and I am always in tune with musical trends and what's hot/not. It was hard during the Pop era, when U2 had a new single out, but no one was playing it. But I hear lots of U2 on the radio, and they are in no danger of people in Central Ohio forgetting about them.

woops woops WOOPS

sooooooreeeeeeeeee
this was meant to be a reply to "what U2 songs does your radio station play?"sorry, I thit he wrong button.
But now I am here....I am searching for what I should be doing next. Listening to the Community FM station yesterday, and hearing how nervous and (trying to think of a polite word) "disorganised" the presenter was( he did play good old songs) it had me thinking...I could do that!!
Now that would be deadly!!..."cass comment" 2 hours of ..ME!!! my favourite songs...and why I think they are my favourite songs....and why they should be YOUR favourite songs...and turn off that light if your'e not in the room and eat your veges and love your mum. I wonder if they'd give me a spot? teehee. A friend used to have a night time heavy metal show, I helped him with that occassionally.You should see where the studio is. On a cliff at the base of an old lighthouse, with THe best view of the ocean...good excuse to go to the beach.
latest idea!! as if U2 need any more publicity...but a lot of bands and ideas do...hmmmmmmmmm. This place is great for sparking ideas.Thanks:wave:

102.5 is the most popular station in the area...but they never play U2. If I ever call to request it, they usually laugh at me. :mad:

100.5 is the only station I've heard "Electrical Storm" on...I still hear them play "Beautiful Day" occasionally too.

104.5 is a classic rock station...they play stuff like "New Year's Day", "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Pride", "Bullet The Blue Sky", and "In God's Country".

Last edited:
There are four main stations that I've listened to in this area-two are in my town and two are in a town nearby, and they have played U2.

The ones in the nearby town:

Classic rock/new rock station: They play "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "New Year's Day", "Angel Of Harlem", "Where The Streets Have No Name", "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", "Pride", and "Staring At The Sun".

Adult contemporary station: They play "Electrical Storm", "In A Little While", "The Sweetest Thing", "Walk On", "Beautiful Day", "Stuck In A Moment", and "When The Stars Go Blue".

The ones in my town:

Top 40 station (well, it's still mostly Top 40, but the format's kinda changing a little): They play "Beautiful Day", "Stuck In A Moment", and "The Sweetest Thing" a lot.

Light rock station: Never played U2 in all the times that I've listened to this station when it was on, but last Monday I was on the school bus that morning, and this station was on, and the announcer said that U2 was coming up, and at first I'm like, "What? U2?" and was all excited, but then I thought I'd misheard him, 'cause U2 was never played on there, like I said, and then "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" started, and I became all happy and I sang along with the song.

So the only U2 song I've heard on that station was "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For".

Angela

U2 songs that are played frequently here:

Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment...
One
Electrical Storm
I Still Haven't Found...
Pride
Sweetest Thing
Angel Of Harlem

U2 songs that get played from time to time:
Elevation
Walk On
New Years Day
Mysterious Ways
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Where The Streets Have No Name
With Or Without You
Desire

U2 songs played very infrequently here:
Stay
Whos Gonna Ride... (Temple Bar Edit)
The Fly
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Unforgettable Fire
Even Better Than... (Perfecto Mix)

NOTE: Songs from POP are practically not played at all, and if i remember, had a pretty short airtime life after they were released. Draw your own conclusions i'm afraid...

I can be lucky to hear Elevation or Electrical Storm once per month cos the radio stations here suck. :madspit:

New York radio sucks. The huge corporations (Infinity, Clear Channel, etc.) that have taken over the radio stations across the nation with their shared playlists have been intrenched in NY radio stations for years now. Afterall, most of them are based right here in NY... i.e. Infinity's parent compaby, CBS. Z-100, probably the most popular station ratings wise in NY, used to play U2 back in the good ol' Achtung Baby days... now, if it ain't on TRL, it ain't on Z-100. For a few months after 9/11 they played a lot of the new album, Stuck, Walk On, POE, NY, etc... but that eventually gave way for their usuall soul-less crap that they play now. Your biggest rock station would be WXRK.. K-Rock. You'll hear your occasional Elevation, SBS, NYD what have you on here. Whenever a new single comes out, it usually gets put into medium rotation, so they're alright with the U2 stuff, it's just that the rest of what they play is the "in" rock music at the moment... your papa roach's, korn's, creed's, saliva's, and even eminem's of the world, mixed in with your U2's, Pearl Jam's, STP's, and Radiohead's. Your classic rock stations, i.e. WBAB, give U2 a pretty good hand, but rarely if ever anything post Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum days. The "new wave" station, WLIR, plays a lot of early stuff, I've even heard 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and Electric Co. here a few times, but like the classic rock stations they don't play anything new... not even anything post War. The only stations that really play a good mix, where you'll hear anything from I Will Follow to Electrical Storm are the adult contempo stations, WPLJ, etc. But it's thrown in with your Celine Dion's and Shania Twain's. So once again, you're :censored: out of luck. Baisicly, the only stations that your average Joe Schmo could listen to for hours on end without changing it 'cause crap came on were WNEW & WFAN... both talk radio. WFAN is of course the first all sports radio station in a major market, and WNEW used to be the famous "Rock of New York" back in the legendary Scott "Scottso" Muni and Wolfman Jack days. Now it's an all talk radio station, which actually became unbareable to listen to since it's most popular DJ's, Opie and Anthony. Anthony's brother, Joe, happens to be the guitar player in a pretty popular U2 tribute band in the NYC area, Joshua Tree... www.joshtree.com. And yes, O&A were the duo involved in the now infamous St. Patrick's Cathedral Sex scandle. Oh well... now the radio sucks. I'm just glad I've got my CD player.

The radio stations where I live suck incredibly bad. There's one station that does play a fair amount of U2 (songs I remember them playing are WOWY, One, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day, the R&H version of Pride and Electrical Storm), but you have almost zero chance of hearing any of their songs on any other stations - except the classic rock station, which seems to be under the impression that the only song U2 ever did is New Year's Day.

Of course the lack of U2 isn't the only reason local radio sucks. I could go on and on about this, but the main problem is we have NO modern rock or college/alternative-type stations. The station that does play U2 plays some other decent stuff as well - it's advertised as "the best of the '80s, '90s and today" - but they also play the same songs over and over and over and over. Plus you never know when they are going to play some power ballad by Creed. :mad:

FallingStar said:
I can be lucky to hear Elevation or Electrical Storm once per month cos the radio stations here suck. :madspit:

Lots of sympathy!!! The good stations near me now only play classic rock (which I adore, don't get me wrong! I'll take more Pink Floyd and The Doors and Led Zepplin any day!) or Linkin Park and POD and the like...which I can't deal with while driving. It doesn't help the road rage. There is a great Boston station, 98.5, that plays U2 at 2 and sometimes if I'm REALLY lucky they play 2 U2 at 2. if I'm REALLY REALLY lucky I'm not at work at 2 and the station comes in at my house.

All you who get Angel of Harlem in a steady does- WOW!!! I haven't heard that locally for over a decade! When they were playing Boston last summer I heard The Fly and that was an event...If the locals play U2 at all it's the old, ever-popular standbyes and Beautiful Day.

On a positive note...The last three New Year's, I've had the radio on at midnight...Guess which song opened my last three years?

I hear Beautiful Day so much that you would think it is still a new single.

Songs I have heard...

SBS
NYD
Two Hearts (once)
UF (once)
Pride
Bad (a live version, probably from Wide Awake in America) (once)
Bullet
Streets
ISHFWILF
WOWY
Desire
Angel of Harlem
AIWIY
The Fly (once)
WGRYWH
One
UTEOTW
EBTTRT
MW
SATS
LNOE (once)
All singles from ATYCLB, + IALW.

I have never heard IWF, Gloria, or any Zooropa songs on the radio.

I usually listen to Cd's, but last week I had a loaner car and I heard Even Better Than the Real Thing and Desire being played. We have a couple pretty good stations here.

Back
Top Bottom