MERGED-->What a bunch of phonies (U2 on TOTP)+U2 not playing live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dopper

The Fly
What a bunch of phonies (U2 on TOTP)

First of all, I'm a big U2 fan. However their "performance" on TOTP was sad. It's one thing to mime in a music video, everyone knows it's an act and there's no attempt at deceipt. But for them to fake it in front of an audience and to advertise this as a live performance, is totally dishonest. This is not something one would expect from a band who view themselves as the world's greatest.

Hold your horses there..

I was at Mill Lane tonight and it was a miracle that they played at all considering the weather conditions. They really didn't even have an opportunity to soundcheck. Soundchecking the pre-recorded sections seemed to be enough of an ordeal.

I also understand that the final decision on these things is made by the BBC as it is their show.

Tomorrow afternoon U2 will be recording for CD:UK and I'll put money on that being a live band performance, so I'd hold off any grand assumptions for now.

It's standard fare for most TV shows. In fact, many require it because they can never get the sound right.

Do you really think Bono wasn't actually singing?

Bono was definitely singing live.

Larry was definitely hitting the drums.

The sound quality was too weird to tell for sure about the guitar and bass, but I think it was most likely live.

JOFO said:
Bono was definitely singing live.

Larry was definitely hitting the drums.

The sound quality was too weird to tell for sure about the guitar and bass, but I think it was most likely live.

LOL it was clearly live, U2 have always accentuated live performances with backing tracks going back to BAD, get over it!!!! They all played LIVE!!!

Bono was clearly singing live, but the music was straight off of the Vertigo studio version. Perhaps the audience in attendance heard something different, but I doubt it. BBC/TOTP may prefer its guests to use a track, but that doesn't mean U2 had to do their show. No one put a gun to their heads.

I'm sorry, but you are naive if you think what you heard was live (or even mostly live). The studio version dominated the mix. Some of you must be easily pleased.

Last edited:
TC2290 said:

LOL it was clearly live, U2 have always accentuated live performances with backing tracks going back to BAD, get over it!!!! They all played LIVE!!!

WTF? That's what I said.

dopper said:
Bono was clearly singing live, but the music was straight off of the Vertigo studio version. Perhaps the audience in attendance heard something different, but I doubt it. BBC/TOTP may prefer its guests to use a track, but that doesn't mean U2 had to do their show. No one put a gun to their heads.

It was live, trust me. I'm a guitarist in a signed band. They played live....JESUS!!!

U2 are a band that preach rock and downplay pop music. artists that arent very good musicians would fake it.(anything on mtv) u2 are some of the best artists ever and wouldnt do a show like that. the might have had something in the background like other songs they do though just for fill.

I couldn't work out if the backing track to Vertigo was prerecorded or not but I was there and I can guarantee you that the other tracks were totally live :) People were soundchecking all the mics and instruments for hours beforehand :|

mkdominatr said:
U2 are a band that preach rock and downplay pop music. artists that arent very good musicians would fake it.(anything on mtv) u2 are some of the best artists ever and wouldnt do a show like that. the might have had something in the background like other songs they do though just for fill.

Excactly, they had some backing but only like Beautiful Day or Streets, I don't hear anyone flaming them for that!! Some people need to learn what it is to be a world class band nowadays.....

It's not all guitars and posture!!!

Agreed starsgoblue. Take it for what it was. THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN (GOOD TO BE BACK!!!). This has just whetted the appetite further. Jesus how I hope I win that CD:UK competition....

Kev

dopper said:

I'm sorry, but you are naive if you think what you heard was live (or even mostly live). The studio version dominated the mix. Some of you must be easily pleased.

Are you having a bad day buddy?

Matthew_Page2000 said:
A vicious comment from a newbie with only one other post to his/her credit. Yawn.

Yep, TROLL ALERT!!

By the way Dopper, were you actually THERE?!?!

BonoFox1 said:
I think he meant to stir up things..But either way.I agree that im glad the guys are back!!!!

Bono actually sang a bit of..

"Hello...Hello...It's good to be back, good to be back"/.......

Regardless of whether or not it was played to a backing track (the copy I have sounds like Bono's singing to a backing track or the band have replicated the song PERFECTLY), the other songs they played were DEFINITELY live.

Axver said:
Regardless of whether or not it was played to a backing track (the copy I have sounds like Bono's singing to a backing track or the band have replicated the song PERFECTLY), the other songs they played were DEFINITELY live.

Who gives a fuck?!?!

I was blown away along with a few thousand others..

Who cares? U2's live reputation is stellar. When it really counts, when the band is knocking out show after show on tour, odds are, when U2 hits your hometown they're gonna rock your faces off.

WHAT A UTTER LOAD OF CRAP THIS POST IS!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

We were there from 12.30 and were the first ticket holders through the gates, it was all played TOTALLY LIVE!!!

FOR GODS SAKE GET OVER YOURSELF!!! Bono even messed up one track in the second performance.

Sometimes I really do wonder what this band have to do!!

THEY WERE FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

:madspit: :madspit: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom