MERGED--> Radio Stations Playing HTDAAB Tracks/Album DISCUSSION HERE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtomicLemon

War Child
Indie 103.1 in Los Angeles just played A Man and a Woman

About 20 minutes ago...

"A new U2 song from HTDAAB, only here on Indie 103.1"

Interesting that they chose AMAAW.

Those were the morons that wanted to play Vertigo on Labor Day and didn't decide to say they couldn't until days after hundreds of people spent their labor day tied to their computers.

Just wondering if they have permission to broadcast it ... knowing the ilk of the folks over there, I doubt it.

I think its cool. People will hear it and say "theres that one strong trademark rock ballad song u2 put on every album". Im in love with this tune but I can understand when someone tells me its their least favorite album. Thats how strong this record is.

No, it's NOT ok. They do not have the rights to broadcast comercially unreleased songs. On one hand, it's great people are hearing it, but on the other - it's illegal.

I put in a call to Principle Management and they're not happy about it. I work in the industry and this blatant disregard for artist integrity pisses me off.

AtomicLemon said:
I put in a call to Principle Management and they're not happy about it. I work in the industry and this blatant disregard for artist integrity pisses me off.

Really? Do you know if PM's going to take action over this?

If you already had it I am not surprised it hit the online world this early. Considering the security around this album I truely doubt you already had it and if you did, well I guess Interscope and Island got what was coming to them.

I heard it, I didn't have it in my posession but for an hour, but I knew a few people who did. The security was tight, but not as tight as we were led to believe. I'm actually suprised it didn't leak sooner.

PS: A lot of people in the industry heard it weeks ago.

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
Its nice to know a song like A Man and a Woman, which will probably never get airplay while still being a strong song, gets to be heard on the radio. But I can see how it sux on the business side.

Exactly. Like I said, on one hand I LOVE the fact that people are hearing it, and maybe it will ge more people to buy the CD. Maybe people that wouldn't normally be interested.

Party Boy said:
Regardless of the rights and wrongs, what has been the reaction to the new songs from listeners/dj's?

So far they just play it with what sounds like a taped recording. It sounds automated. Tehn tehy go into teh next song.

Y100 is going to play the whole album soon

Today on Y100 (Philadelphia, hxxp://www.y100.com) they started running promos that they would be playing the whole album soon - I'm thinking most likely today. They also said during the morning show in thier "music news" that the album's release date may be moved to this Thursday due to it being leaked. Y100 has always played a lot of u2 and when ATYCLB came out they played the whole thing a few times. Can't wait to hear some of the listeners opinions.

AtomicLemon said:
No, it's NOT ok. They do not have the rights to broadcast comercially unreleased songs. On one hand, it's great people are hearing it, but on the other - it's illegal.

I know people might argue that it's illegal for us even to be hearing the songs....but there is a HUGE difference when a business such as a radiostation broadcasts a song when they have no legal grounds to do so. There are reasons why singles are released and radios can only play those singles and not other tracks.

That's BS.

starsgoblue said:

I know people might argue that it's illegal for us even to be hearing the songs....but there is a HUGE difference when a business such as a radiostation broadcasts a song when they have no legal grounds to do so. There are reasons why singles are released and radios can only play those singles and not other tracks.

That's BS.

well radio in general is bullshit. as long as these songs are being logged and the songwriters are receiving royalties for the airplay, i say go for it. anytime someone has the balls to break the clearchannel corporate structure of radio/entertainment - more power to 'em!

Se7en said:

well radio in general is bullshit. as long as these songs are being logged and the songwriters are receiving royalties for the airplay, i say go for it. anytime someone has the balls to break the clearchannel corporate structure of radio/entertainment - more power to 'em!

Well how can that be done if the thing isn't commercially released yet?

Well, according to various articles posted in the News sections the release date is not be pushed forward because of contractual obligations that U2 had with Apple.

I would be surprised if U2 didn't foresee an eventual leak. Personally, I think this caused them a week of problems since the album was going to start streaming on the 16th and for sure songs would have been captured recorded on that date.

Back
Top Bottom