Mandela concert line-up unveiled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last unicorn

Blue Crack Addict
U2 or at least Bono/Edge have been rumoured for months to be there ... still no official confirmation. Does anyone think they will perform?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7384423.stm

Mandela concert line-up unveiled

The Soweto Gospel Choir will sing for Nelson Mandela in Hyde Park

Queen, Leona Lewis, Annie Lennox and the Soweto Gospel Choir are among the acts that will appear at a concert for Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday in June.

The former South African president will travel to London for the 27 June event, which will also feature Dame Shirley Bassey, Simple Minds and Razorlight.

Tickets go on public sale on Friday and Hyde Park will host a crowd of 46,664 - Mr Mandela's old prison number.

It is now the name of his Aids charity, which will get proceeds from the show.

Surprise stars

Organisers have promised further stars on the bill, with "several major artists keeping silent about their involvement in order to take both Mr Mandela and the audience by surprise", a statement said.

Eminem, U2, Amy Winehouse and the Spice Girls are among the other acts who have been mentioned in the press.

The other confirmed performers include Sugababes, Andrea and Sharon Corr, Eddy Grant, Italian star Zucchero and Spainish group Amaral, while Queen will perform with vocalist Paul Rodgers.

Annie Lennox played a key part in the foundation of 46664 in 2003

British-born, South African-based pop star Johnny Clegg is on the bill, as are a number of other African acts including Sipho Mabuse, Loyiso, Papa Wemba and Emmanuel Jal.

There will also be an appearance by The Children of Agape, a choir of Aids orphans who were the subject of the film We Are Together.

Anybody who registers on the 46664 website before 1800 BST on Tuesday will be able to buy pre-sale tickets from 0900 on Wednesday, before they go on general sale at 0900 on Friday.

When the concert was announced, Mr Mandela said: "You all know that I am supposed to be retired.

"But my friends and the charitable organisations that bear my name want to use my 90th birthday year to raise funds to continue our work and so of course I want to help them.

Concerts were held for Nelson Mandela at Wembley Stadium in 1988 and 1990

"So, we have a bargain - I am going to London and they will host a concert in Hyde Park, which will raise awareness of our continuing work and much needed funds."

The concert comes 20 years after the landmark spectacle at Wembley Stadium to call for his release from prison and to mark his 70th birthday.

Eurythmics, Sting, Whitney Houston, Simple Minds and Dire Straits were among the stars who performed at that event on 11 June 1988.

Another concert was held at Wembley after Mr Mandela was released two years later.

The whole band = no chance IMO, Bono may turn up and sing a Beatles song with somebody, or do One with the SugarBabes....

Seems real wishful thinking that Eminem or U2 will be there, especially since the last we heard of Eminem he was apparently an obese drug addict.

chrissybaby said:
The whole band = no chance IMO

I'm not so sure, it is in London and all, so it's not much of a stretch for them to do it..

Lineup sounds cool tho...Johnny Clegg! :drool:

I hope Peter Gabriel shows up again, he was a highlight for me at the last one :up:

blueeyedgirl said:
U2 didn't appear at the first ones, so will they perform at this now?

Bono did that one in South Africa a few years back, so I wouldn't be surprised if he showed, but I'd also not be surprised if it's just him...

The Sad Punk said:

I know basically all Youtube comments are horrible, but man, there are people that actually think that was a good idea? And people agree with them?

I liked the idea.

And I have stopped reading You Tube comments a long time ago.

As for the Mandela concert: I think Bono will be there, maybe with Edge. He and Mandela are close and he's been supporting his charities for many years. I would be very surprised if he didn't show up.

God the line up is full of B lister artists ZzzZZ, the same bland pack that did the Diana concert that was stiff boring.

According to the organisers some more artists are going to perform but are gonna be kept secret to suprise Mandela and the Audience.

Even if u2 did play they would perform another bland 15 minute set dedicated for its MTV audience, Vertigo, Beautiful day and One.

Here's the supposed lineup (received this in an email from the company that is handling the backstage events):

"Talent booked to date include: Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, Bono and The Edge, Bryan Adams, Eminem, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Eric Clapton, John Mayer and Buddy Guy, Jay-Z and Beyonce, The Who, Jools Holland, Elton John, Kanye West, Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart, Kylie Minogue, Lily Allen, Madonna, Michael Jackson and Joss Stone, Keane, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Lenny Henry, Naomi Campbell, Peter Gabriel, Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry, Queen and George Michael, Paul Rodgers Robbie Williams, Razorlight, Robert Plant, Roger Waters, Sheryl Crow, Spice Girls, Sting, Tina Turner, Will Smith, Amy Winehouse, Brian Wilson, David Bowie, Nicole Scherzinger, P. Diddy, The Rolling Stones, Samuel L. Jackson, Sean Lennon and Yoko Ono, Snow Patrol, Steve Winwood, Sugababes, Timbaland, Tom Petty, Whitney Houston, Simple Minds

Broadcast on VH1 and MTV"

I'm a bit dubious about this list, though, because Robert Plant is supposed to be in Berkeley, California that night for his gig with Allison Krauss, but maybe he'll pull a Phil Collins and do both shows anyway.

Last edited:
It's a three day event, and the concert is only three hours, so not everyone on these lists will be at the televised show (maybe Plant will be at one of the earlier events, but not the concert), but other guests who will "attend some of the events" (not necessarily the Friday night concert):

PM Gordon Brown, Oprah Winfrey, Forest Whitaker, Robert De Niro, Lewis Hamilton (F1 driver), Leona Lewis, Dame Shirley Bassey, Andrea and Sharon Corr, Eddy Grant, Jamelia, Zucchero (from Italy), Amaral (from Spain), Johnny Clegg, Soweto Gospel Choir

General Admission tickets for the concert are 65 UK Pounds, on sale Friday, May 9th at 9am GMT

Buy tickets here:

http://www.livenation.co.uk/event/getEvent/eventId/320552/

Official website:

http://music.livenation.co.uk/46664concert/home/

Last edited:
^^ i highly doubt we will even see half of those.

Eminem
Queen
Annie Lennox
Razorlight
Keane
Will Smith
Jada Pinkett Smith
Leona Lewis
Sugababes
Duffy
Jamelia
Amy Winehouse
Shirley Bassey
Emmanuel Jal
Andrea and Sharon Corr
Eddy Grant
Simple Minds
Amaral
Soweto Gospel Choir
Loylso
Kurt Darren
Johnny Clegg
The Children Of Agape
Papa Wemba
Sipho Mabuse

Thats the line up ive heard.

I agree with 4U2Play, that lineup is a little questionable. Seems to be too much talent...

Michael Jackson, really? Stones...mm hmm.

chrissybaby said:
The whole band = no chance IMO, Bono may turn up and sing a Beatles song with somebody, or do One with the SugarBabes....

SugaBabes.

There's no R in there.

Sorry, but it's much sexier that way. :wink:

Hey guys, my cousin, who will be a roadie for the concert, just emailed and told me about some other bands that have joined up. This is what he said:

aright so for dis madenla concert right, i found a peice of pape wit phone numberz an bands. it says "Beccy, please call the following artists: Soundgarden, Lynyrd Skynrd, The Faces, Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Troggs, Johnny Cash, Nirvana, Tupac Shakur, Eazy-E, Joy Division, The Clash, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra, The Beatles and Tchaikovsky. Ask if they're available for quick sets."

personally i hope tchai makes it

Last edited:
nah U2 will turn up to do one new song from the new album, that will be about it lol, maybe vertigo lol

but anyways thats not too important, the important part is...

QUEEN WITH PAUL RODGERS BABAY!!! Touring again this year and i cant wait for them to come to newcastle again, i love it!

*sings* i want to be, a face on tv, then you will see im a c-lebrity

hehe so excited :wink:

Back
Top Bottom