LP13 There is no album - only lies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will bet $1,000,000 that they do not even get interviewed on Fallon. It's his first show and he'll have a million skits.

He'll introduce U2 towards the end of the show with "Our next guests are a legendary rock band from Ireland who have sold more than 250 million albums worldwide. Their last tour was the highest grossing and most attended tour in history. They recently released a song in partnership with RED to raise money in the fight against AIDS. So far it has raised over ? million dollars.
Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for U2!!!!"

Crowd goes nuts.
U2 plays Invisible.
Show's over.

Therefore they still get the push for Invisible, are in the public eye, and no mention whatsoever about an album delay.

I'm almost hoping it happens that way just to see this place go into absolute atomic meltdown.

I will bet $1,000,000 that they do not even get interviewed on Fallon. It's his first show and he'll have a million skits.

He'll introduce U2 towards the end of the show with "Our next guests are a legendary rock band from Ireland who have sold more than 250 million albums worldwide. Their last tour was the highest grossing and most attended tour in history. They recently released a song in partnership with RED to raise money in the fight against AIDS. So far it has raised over ? million dollars.

Crowd goes nuts.
U2 plays Invisible.
Show's over.

Therefore they still get the push for Invisible, are in the public eye, and no mention whatsoever about an album delay.

That would be normal, not surprising.

Crowd goes nuts.
U2 plays Invisible.
Show's over.

I disagree with this completely. Fallon is more of a music nut than any other late night host. When Springsteen was on his show, he was the whole show more or less. I fully expect there to be an interview.

I don't know the band? Unlike you, I know that there are 9 other songs on The Unforgettable Fire. You can mention Pride as an example of them wanting to be relevant (a meaningless term), but what about Elvis Presley and America, Promenade, Bad, 4th of July, MLK, Wire, A Sort of a Homecoming, Indian Summer Sky, or the title track? Just because Pride is of its time doesn't mean it was bid for relevance. hey don't really sound like what was on the charts in 1984, do they?Like Rush said, they were young enough to be influenced by contemporary music. It's more like Cocteau Twins than Hall & Oates.

The Unforgettable Fire was made by a band who's priority was clearly their art. Even a cursory reading of books about U2 and interviews with them would enable you to know this.

If in 1984 U2 had had more time and any clue how a recording studio worked most of Unforgettable Fire would have been much different. Every cursory reading ... blah blah ...

Not that UF would definitely had been a better album for it, but there you go

I disagree with this completely. Fallon is more of a music nut than any other late night host. When Springsteen was on his show, he was the whole show more or less. I fully expect there to be an interview.

While I think there will be as well, Springsteen wasn't in his first ever Tonight Show.

If this was a regular show, U2 would probably be the only guest and it would be all about them. It's not.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

U2 haven't sold 250 million. They claim to have sold 150 million, but only 100 million have been verified.

It's hard to say. It seems like on his first show he would want to come across (particularly to whatever older audience will be watching) as a serious host and in the same league as his predecessors. There will be plenty of time for "hashtags" and "pros and cons" eventually, but I think it's more likely that he tries to make more of a statement on his debut, and one way of doing that is having his guests on camera as much as possible.

If in 1984 U2 had had more time and any clue how a recording studio worked most of Unforgettable Fire would have been much different. Every cursory reading ... blah blah ...

Not that UF would definitely had been a better album for it, but there you go

It was their fourth album, they knew how to use a recording studio. And it was co-produced by Brian Eno, who wasn't exactly a novice in 1984. They were pressed for time, but they knew exactly what they were doing. They were experimenting!

It's hard to say. It seems like on his first show he would want to come across (particularly to whatever older audience will be watching) as a serious host and in the same league as his predecessors. There will be plenty of time for "hashtags" and "pros and cons" eventually, but I think it's more likely that he tries to make more of a statement on his debut, and one way of doing that is having his guests on camera as much as possible.

The biggest statement Fallon can make is to come out and say "Now there are three funny people to watch at 1135!"

Despite Leno's high ratings, I've never known anyone who watches him, or even finds him tolerable. He's the Nickleback or Creed of television.

While I think there will be as well, Springsteen wasn't in his first ever Tonight Show.

If this was a regular show, U2 would probably be the only guest and it would be all about them. It's not.

That's a valid point, they probably won't be the whole show, but I still expect an interview. Otherwise, if they're only five minutes at the end, that means half the show was skits and half the show was Will Smith. I just have a hard time seeing that.

sugarbritches.

:lmao: And the award for best word of the day....

Not that I have to defend nor explain anything to anyone reading this forum, but my data package is extremely limited. 10GB/month for 3 devices shared by 3 people (me, hubby, and LilCK). 2 smartphones and the USB for the laptop connection. Downloading, streaming, etc...most of that is a luxury for me. I live less than 2 blocks from my library. So therefore I take advantage of the great "freebie" that it is. /end discussion

So...where's the video for Invisible?? :lol:

Fallon is really good at getting his guests to do goofy things with him, and loves musical comedy, I'm guessing he'll at least get U2 to do something with him.

That's a valid point, they probably won't be the whole show, but I still expect an interview. Otherwise, if they're only five minutes at the end, that means half the show was skits and half the show was Will Smith. I just have a hard time seeing that.

That's actually exactly what Conan's first Tonight Show was...

Long intro, monolog, skit, skit, Will Ferrell, skit, Pearl Jam (playing four months before their album, ironically enough), show over.

Weirdly enough his run on Late Night started during the NLOTH promo run, he wanted them for hist first show then too, Letterman unfortunately booked them first.

But Fallon is a big U2 fan. I expect he'll want more than just "okay play Invisible and go home". He wanted them for the Late Show and wasn't ever able to make it happen.

And Conan is a big Pearl Jam fan, thus we he was his first musical guest.

But again, it's the first show of a new host of a historic show... It's more about the host than it is any guest.

Again I expect an interview, but I think some of you who are expecting this to be all about U2 are letting the fanboy in you replace reality.

On desktop, and if the person is saying they aren't copying the CD they aren't going to be all that mobile with it anyway, Discman anyone?

U2 are the musical guest, and that's the only thing that I'm expecting. The chances of Will Smith doing a skit with Jimmy Fallon are bigger than U2 doing a skit with him. I only want them to play 'Invisible'. If they do a small skit, even better - but I doubt it will happen.

If they do an interview, which I doubt as well, they'll just say everything we've been hearing. It's better if they just perform 'Invisible' or 'Ordinary Love' whatever the fuck they want to perform. It keeps everyone in good spirits, no?

Yep, that's why I thought the band was working in Dublin and was confused by everyone else saying London, til I re-listened to Bono's interview where he said London. Or perhaps, they are working in both Dublin and London!

This gets more and more confusing each day. :crack:

Weirdly enough his run on Late Night started during the NLOTH promo run, he wanted them for hist first show then too, Letterman unfortunately booked them first.

Only time I ever sat through an entire week of Letterman. :lol:

Yep, that's why I thought the band was working in Dublin and was confused by everyone else saying London, til I re-listened to Bono's interview where he said London. Or perhaps, they are working in both Dublin and London!
This gets more and more confusing each day. :crack:

Well they can't be in two places at once....can they? :hmm: :lol::lol:

Only time I ever sat through an entire week of Letterman. :lol:

Well they can't be in two places at once....can they? :hmm: :lol::lol:

If anybody can, it's Bono, at least, lol.

No but they can certainly afford to hop a helicopter or plane back and forth across the channel with regularity. :wink:

U2 are the musical guest, and that's the only thing that I'm expecting. The chances of Will Smith doing a skit with Jimmy Fallon are bigger than U2 doing a skit with him. I only want them to play 'Invisible'. If they do a small skit, even better - but I doubt it will happen.

But for Fallon, what's unique about getting Will Smith to do something? He's an actor. He's done comedy too. I'd bet if he had his choice, he'd rather have Bono in a sketch. Will Smith has never even hosted SNL. U2 has at least done a sketch on Conan (Secrets). "If I don't win the Nobel Peace Prize I'm going to get a crowbar and bash some skulls."

Apart from his SNL friends - or purely comedic actors - Fallon does more sketches with musicians anyway. If you'd have said 2 years ago that Bruce Springsteen would have done - not one - but two sketches - on two separate occasions (appearing as his younger self, both times, at that) that would have been hard to believe. If you'd have said he got Eddie Vedder to sing a song called "Balls In Your Mouth" with him, that would have been hard to believe too. Much less agree to a sit down interview with him. Granted, Fallon's interview w/him was miserable. But he also got Paul McCartney to sing a version of "Scrambled Eggs" with him.

Fallon is a fanboy. He gets all sorts of musical people to come on his show that don't do anybody else's show. Not because he's a great interviewer but because he's genuinely a fanboy that cares and by all accounts - an amazingly nice guy. I'd be surprised if he DOESN'T convince Bono (and maybe Edge) to do a sketch with them. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom