Live Songs that U2 forgot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bodnex

The Fly
I know, I know, this topic is done like every 2 weeks around here (I'm a long-time lurker, and now a little drunk), but whatever...

So I've just been watching PopMart at Mexico and seriously, WTF happened Last Night on Earth ? It just ROCKS, pure and simple. Hell, it's probably better rock-wise than anything U2 have done since, yet it's been ignored. I know that Pop is loved around these parts, and I hate to follow it because I sometimes feel like it's blind, but this is definitely something that needs to be resurrected.

Speaking of blindness, whatever happened to Love is Blindness? Again, probably one of the best songs in U2's catalogue, everything about it just chills, it's haunting. I was thinking that it's possible that it just bring back too many bad memories for Edge with his ex-wife, which is possible and completely understandable, but otherwise... this is a song that needs to be played. If only for the solo... amazing.

Now, I don't want to be pro-90's (or too much like a blog which, unfortunately, this is probably going to be) but what the fuck happened to Mofo?! Again, around here I think the Pop-love is OTT, Mofo, LNOE and Please are probably the only REALLY good songs on it (Actually, I might make a topic about that later, if I can find another drink...) but MOFO is again one of those bad-ass songs that kicks so much ass it sounds like Jack Bauer doing William Shatner's version of Rocket Man. Screaming guitar at the start would make me orgasm as it is. Discotheque was great this tour, overhyped here, but great. But just imagine Mofo... I think someone was saying they rehearsed it for Vertigo.. maybe not... but next tour it just HAS to be played.

OK, what's next... (this is probably gonna be a pretty long post, so if you want to, the song titles are probably in bold, just look at those until I write "Acrobat".) I don't wanna have another 90s song, although it's my favourite era. And Unforgettable Fire. But is most of that really playable anymore, seeing as Bono probably can't sing it. Hell, if it is, The Unforgettable Fire is a must, it's just beautiful. Though I've heard it's quite hard to play live, and a lot of "casuals" wouldn't be too familiar with it, it's still an amazing song, and would fit a lot better in the next tour than the An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart double in Vertigo.

(Oh, and for the record, I think that Bad not being played every night is brilliant, really gives the song a sort of strength.)

OK, personally I would say Seconds next, simply cos it gives Edge a chance to sing, and he really, really can. And it's a great song. Then I suppose Desire, but it's only been remarkable in 2 ways, either when played on Lovetown (THAT solo...), or ZooTV (just about everything about that version), so unless they can do something equally as good... Same with God Part II really, though it's a song that I think would still work, no matter how they interpreted it.

Though really, it's all about Stay. It's a beautiful song, and though I absolutely love One, Stay is about the only song that could replace it. Though only in its electric version, or even the ZooTV version. I just think that it really hasn't reached its peak live like it did on the record.

Anyway, that was stuidly long, if you read it all I probably owe you a pint. But, if you want, post what you think U2 have forgotten live, and what they should play again. Hell, if you think I just talked bollocks, tell me, I can take it. Probably...

Apart from its small snippet on Elevation, and limited appearances on Lovetown...where is Hawkmoon 269.

I think any live version of stay (Electric or Acoustic) , Is better than the studio version....the studio version is still good, but I prefer it live.

God part II
Stay
Love is Blindness
MOFO
Discotheque
Please
Last night on Earth
Gone
Dirty Day

Those songs need to come back, i would glady drop songs like BTBS, SBS, Pride etc for a return of those songs!

Please really seems to make sense in place of Bullet, as both have political implications. The former, besides being the superior song, is also strikingly relevant to today's political climate.

schnumi said:
God part II
Stay
Love is Blindness
MOFO
Discotheque
Please
Last night on Earth
Gone
Dirty Day

Those songs need to come back, i would glady drop songs like BTBS, SBS, Pride etc for a return of those songs!

That'll never happen, because the "casual" fan does not know ANY of these songs. U2 mostly panders to the casual fans nowadays (they'll throw a bone or two with The Electric Co. and An Cat Dubh, but really)

Gone, Stay, or Discotheque might have a chance because they were on the Best Of. And Discotheque was played amazingly at 2 shows before it was dropped.

schnumi said:
God part II
Stay
Love is Blindness
MOFO
Discotheque
Please
Last night on Earth
Gone
Dirty Day

I'd like to see that happening too... But I don't think so. But maybe one or two can come back... Who knows?

Two Hearts Beat As One - Mysterious Ways needs a rest and this one is the perfect replacement. What a great, gret song it is and was always even better live!

God Part II

Last Night On Earth

Discothèque

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

LemonMacPhisto said:

That'll never happen, because the "casual" fan does not know ANY of these songs. U2 mostly panders to the casual fans nowadays (they'll throw a bone or two with The Electric Co. and An Cat Dubh, but really)

Gone, Stay, or Discotheque might have a chance because they were on the Best Of. And Discotheque was played amazingly at 2 shows before it was dropped.
I know but that's the whole point.

A lot of people don't know those great songs! They need to know U2 has done more then bloody sunday etc.

U2 has done so much great work but some people will never know of it.

And i forgot one song: Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me :drool:

schnumi said:
God part II
Stay
Love is Blindness
MOFO
Discotheque
Please
Last night on Earth
Gone
Dirty Day

I agree with this whole list! :up: also Exit and HMTMKMKM.

Having the Boy songs this tour was cool too, I hope they bring out The Electric Co for some shows next time around!

schnumi said:
I know but that's the whole point.

A lot of people don't know those great songs! They need to know U2 has done more then bloody sunday etc.

U2 has done so much great work but some people will never know of it.

And i forgot one song: Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me :drool:

I agree 100%, but tell that to U2.

Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me
Electrical Storm (personal fav)
Sweetest Thing
Kite (more often)

Ditch Bullet and SBS

Like a Song(It has big potential, played live only one time on War tour)
HMTMKMKM
Red Hill Mining Town

Red Hill Mining Town's probably never going to be played, Bon couldn't sing it on the Joshua Tree tour, he's not really going to be able to play it now, or at least without a massive injustive to the song.

Van Diemen's Land - Yes! Would be a nice slow song in the middle, and I'm just gay for Edge's voice. And it's a lovely song.

I was thinking Exit as well, but I wasn't too sure if they remember it exists, they all think that their track 10 on Joshua Tree is broken or something!

HMTMKMKM - excellent, again just pure rock. Would probably rotate really well with LNOE.

Please - could definitely replace Bullet (though I don't really get the incredible battering it gets around these parts), especially if they can't rejuvinate Bullet next time. So this probably could happen.

Ultraviolet - just because I love it. And to piss off Axver. ;)

Ultraviolet, Last Night on Earth (they could switch between the Fly and this one every other night maybe), In God's Country, Hold Me Thrill Me.... maybe redone in the way the Fly was for Vertigo tour.

Back
Top Bottom