Lemon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
I don't know about you all, but to me, "Lemon" is one of U2's best songs, for so many reasons.

When I first heard the song, I loved it; mainly because I thought it was hilarious. I couldn't get over Bono taking his falsetto to such ridiculous extremes. I also found pleasure in playing it for my non-U2 fanatic friends and watching their reactions.

Later, the song took on a new meaning for me when I saw the video. Here was Bono in full makeup, acting almost as bizzare as the tune itself. Draping himself all over the other band members, etc. It was hilarious, and yet there was some sort of dark quality about the video that I couldn't quite put my finger on...like when the lights create a silhouette and Bono looks tired and worn out.

Then, there was MacPhisto. Lemon again blew me away when I saw it performed at ZooTV by the "last rock star". Suddenly the video became clearer; I undertsood the meaning behind all those movements and the makeup. (Although I still don't understand why Bono didn't wear the horns in the video - he was wearing everything else!)

Finally, I read about the deep meaning behind the song - the whole thing with Bono's mother - and I grew to appreciate it even more. It's amazing just how many levels there are to this song; and also how groundbreaking it was/is musically.

I'm not sure if it will ever be performed live again, but it will always be one of my favorites.

I admit, when I first heard Lemon and Zooropa, I was like, wtf is this?? lol.

But this song is great.. for the meanings, for macphisto, for the falsetto... which I can sing btw... and that's the only thing I can sing. ha.

lemon.gif

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Photo Albums

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
But this song is great.. for the meanings, for macphisto, for the falsetto... which I can sing

I love singing along with "Lemon"...it is one of my fave U2 songs. A great piece...nice and long too!
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

I didn't appreciate Lemon for a long long time, saw it as kinda cute but not a great song..I guess my appreciation has been stronger for it the last few months..its when you listen deeper, theres a lot more going on than you first thought..and Bono's vocals come out far more emotionally when you listen in closer...guess I just wasn't paying it enough attention

I have to agree with Zoo, I loved it from the beginning and have ever since. Just get a deeper respect for the true meaning behind it when one finds out that it was really about Bono's mom.
Thats the main reason my real screen name is LemonTree...after Lemon.

I can listen to this song over and over...

------------------
Here I go and I don't know why
I spin so ceaselessly

Lemon was a song for many years I never gave more than token thought to...I always perferred the Perfecto remix (which IS awesome). Finally getting the live Sydney boot changed my view of this song, and I've since listened to the original more frequently. I would safely say Lemon is one of the Ten best U2 songs. The lyrical depth, and musical departure is topped by few U2 songs.

The best version I've heard aside from the album cut, is from ZooTV where Bono and Edge sing the separate parts where Bono sings Midnight differently than the LP version. "Midnight...is where the day beings (MIDNIGHT)..." So moving

The album and live versions are both awesome! Lemon is a great song to fall asleep to, and sounds cool when played loud as well. I find all of Bono's expressions and movements during its performance in the ZooTV video quite funny, especially when he says: "Off with the horns, on with the show".

------------------
"We are the biggest little cult band in the world." - Larry (1997)

To me Lemon is just like mixing the kraftwerk experience with the 90's sound...definitely a masterpiece!

Back
Top Bottom