Joshua Tree vs. Achtung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:

Yes, I prefer imagery and story-telling over aphorisms and one liners.

Oh hell no. You DID NOT just insult a masterpiece song like The Fly, musically and lyrically. It is a very deep song with meaningful lyrics, so please...

Joshua Tree is like a business class flight.

Achtung Baby is merely the economy version.

Cheers,

J

djerdap said:

Oh hell no. You DID NOT just insult a masterpiece song like The Fly, musically and lyrically. It is a very deep song with meaningful lyrics, so please...

I did not insult anything, I simply said I prefer In god's country and stated why.

They both are great songs tho, I prefer The Fly over it cuz im more of a Zooboy

Both are great but it seems that it depends on how each of them makes you feel...

Joshua Tree is more spiritual

Achtung Baby is more personal...

Well, that's what I think:wink:

Last edited:
Sicy said:
Everyone is entitled to their opinions.. lets keep it civil please!

I'm surprised it already hasn't gotten out of control in here. It stared off kinda rocky, but things aren't too bad.

Those two albums represents two different kinds of U2.. Thats why i love both of those albums. Achtung is my favorite, but its the entire concept of the album and tour that make my jaw drop..

They both have their novelties on their tours tho

The Dalton Bros. and The Fly, MacPhisto and Mirrorball Man

Lancemc said:

I'm surprised it already hasn't gotten out of control in here. It stared off kinda rocky, but things aren't too bad.

Everyone just shut up, shut up! (runs around with hands over ears...) :wink:

I have argued with myself over this for years. I used to favor Joshua Tree, I think sentimentally because it's really the first album that got me into U2, other than maybe the Best of 1980-1990. I think Joshua Tree is amazing. But in the past couple years, Achtung Baby has overtaken the title. Because Achtung Baby, simply put...is incredible. The reasons why Achtung is better than Joshua mirror the reasons why U2's 90s music as a whole is better than their 80s music(mind you, I love ALL U2 music). The music itself, lyrics aside, is just more complex. That's not a personal opinion, that is musical fact. Give both records to anyone who does music as a profession, and they will tell you that the music on Achtung is more complex than that of Joshua. I am not in music professionally, but both my parents are, that is why I am in position to say this. Lyrically, Achtung's lyrics are just more paranoid, enigmatic, secretive, edgy, bitter, darker on the whole, etc etc, as opposed to Joshua's lyrics which are more symbolic of someone bearing their soul unabashedly, and I prefer Achtung's lyrical style. Add to this the fact that the accomanying tour, ZooTV, is arguably the greatest concert tour in rock history, and I think the clear winner is Achtung. Both are great, great records though.

The fact that the music is more complex doesn't necessarily mean its better. Running to stand still is simple, but Bono puts a melody into that song that just floats perfectly over the music. I think only "One" from AB could be said to be stronger.

Long live the Joshua Tree.

I've posted this before, but here it is again:

Achtung is by far their best album, that being said... it doesn't leave you with the feeling that joshua tree does. Joshue tree is hopeful and full of ideas, when you listen to the songs there is an open, all-freeing, soundscape going on that sets you free and at ease (yes i know there are some dark songs, but the album is NOT dark). This is why some people like JT so much, its lighter, easier to take. Achtung is a farrrr different story. All the lyrics are shrouded in dada-ism. Where JT made you think, AB makes you dwell. AB is hopelessness at its finest. Paranoia and fear and the pitfalls of seduction are slapped in the listener's face whether they like it or not. The album can be painted as a divorce album (edge's breakup), a betrayal album (jesus vs judas) an album about political revolution (fall of the USSR). Achtung baby to me still sounds like music that was not meant to be made in 1991. As strange and technical as radiohead have become, their music does not sound like it is from the future or ahead of its time. The music on AB sounds today still farrrr ahead of its time. U2 went above and beyond with the starkly ORIGINAL rythms they had on this album. zoo station, even better than the real thing, until the end of the world, mysterious ways, ultraviolet and acrobat all are rythmic masterpieces creating a sonic (i hate the term, but it works), driving sound unmatched in music history. One is arguably the greatest songwriting seen of all time and the fly is pure summation of what a band should be able to do with vocals, guitar, bass and drums bouncing off of one another creating a simultaneously supplementary and complimentary sound. The lyrical provocations of wild horses, so cruel, trying to throw yaatw are not seen on any other album. And AB has the only song that really fits as closing out an album of theirs with Love Is Blindness. This surprisingly minimalist song caps the album with yet more questions painted across a new type of U2 soundscape. The album's main idea or promise is completely encapsulated in the lyrics from acrobat "what are we to do when its all been said, no new ideas in this house and every book has been read," and in the backround of zoo station, "You can turn it up," stating that when all originality is lost, control is to be given and not to be commanded. The cohesiveness evident here is unmatched by any album in their catalogue. Bono was obviously going for this lyrical cohesiveness on Bomb, came close too. Achtung baby showed us the dark side of the world and of love, when U2 had only shown us hope before. This was not "I want to run, I want to hide," this was," A little death without mourning, no call and no warning... baby a dangerous idea that almost makes sense." Almost...

Beautiful Ghost vs Zoo Station 0:1
Streets vs EBTTRealThing 1:1
Silver And Gold vs One 1:2
ISHFWILooking For vs UTEOTW 1.5:2.5
Spanish Eyes vs WGRYWH 2:3
With Or Without You vs So Cruel 2.5:3.5
Luminous Times vs The Fly 2.5:4.5
Walk To The Water vs MWays 2.5:5.5
Bullet The Blue Sky vs TTTYAATWorld 3:6
Running To Stand Still vs Ultraviolet 4:6
Red Hill Mining Town vs Acrobat 4:7
Race Against Time vs LIBlindness 4:8
In God's Country vs AlexDIHFBOM/Korova1 5:8
Trip Through Your Wires vs Paint It Black 6:8
Sweetest Thing '87 vs Fortunate Son 7:8
One Tree Hill vs Where Did All Go Wrong 8:8
Deep In The Heart vs Salome 9:8
Exit vs Lady With SHead 10:8
Mothers Of Disappeared vs Satellite Of Love 11:8
-------------------------------------------------------------
TJTree 11 : 8 ABaby

Achtung is alot more exciting to listen to, and I have to say I tend to listen to it a fair bit more than Joshua.

That being said, I will never forget the feeling I got from hearing JT for the first time -- I can't describe it, it felt like I had found true peace. Which, thinking back, sounds weird, cos Mothers is such a sad song.

IT'S A DRAW!

I'm sure I posted already in this thread during its first go-round, but it's worth saying again. Achtung Baby kicks the ass of every other U2 album. It stands alone, as close to perfection as four men can achieve.

End of debate.

The_One1932 said:
I've posted this before, but here it is again:

Achtung is by far their best album, that being said... it doesn't leave you with the feeling that joshua tree does. Joshue tree is hopeful and full of ideas, when you listen to the songs there is an open, all-freeing, soundscape going on that sets you free and at ease (yes i know there are some dark songs, but the album is NOT dark). This is why some people like JT so much, its lighter, easier to take. Achtung is a farrrr different story. All the lyrics are shrouded in dada-ism. Where JT made you think, AB makes you dwell. AB is hopelessness at its finest. Paranoia and fear and the pitfalls of seduction are slapped in the listener's face whether they like it or not. The album can be painted as a divorce album (edge's breakup), a betrayal album (jesus vs judas) an album about political revolution (fall of the USSR). Achtung baby to me still sounds like music that was not meant to be made in 1991. As strange and technical as radiohead have become, their music does not sound like it is from the future or ahead of its time. The music on AB sounds today still farrrr ahead of its time. U2 went above and beyond with the starkly ORIGINAL rythms they had on this album. zoo station, even better than the real thing, until the end of the world, mysterious ways, ultraviolet and acrobat all are rythmic masterpieces creating a sonic (i hate the term, but it works), driving sound unmatched in music history. One is arguably the greatest songwriting seen of all time and the fly is pure summation of what a band should be able to do with vocals, guitar, bass and drums bouncing off of one another creating a simultaneously supplementary and complimentary sound. The lyrical provocations of wild horses, so cruel, trying to throw yaatw are not seen on any other album. And AB has the only song that really fits as closing out an album of theirs with Love Is Blindness. This surprisingly minimalist song caps the album with yet more questions painted across a new type of U2 soundscape. The album's main idea or promise is completely encapsulated in the lyrics from acrobat "what are we to do when its all been said, no new ideas in this house and every book has been read," and in the backround of zoo station, "You can turn it up," stating that when all originality is lost, control is to be given and not to be commanded. The cohesiveness evident here is unmatched by any album in their catalogue. Bono was obviously going for this lyrical cohesiveness on Bomb, came close too. Achtung baby showed us the dark side of the world and of love, when U2 had only shown us hope before. This was not "I want to run, I want to hide," this was," A little death without mourning, no call and no warning... baby a dangerous idea that almost makes sense." Almost...

Thank you!!!
Finally someone who understands it.
I wanted to say the exact same thing, but i just couldn't find words to match this.
Even if i somehow were a Joshua lover, i would be converted to Achtung just because of this text.
Love the part about the fly, just makes it even better.
"Achtung is as close to perfection as 4 guys can get"

depe said:
Beautiful Ghost vs Zoo Station 0:1
Streets vs EBTTRealThing 1:1
Silver And Gold vs One 1:2
ISHFWILooking For vs UTEOTW 1.5:2.5
Spanish Eyes vs WGRYWH 2:3
With Or Without You vs So Cruel 2.5:3.5
Luminous Times vs The Fly 2.5:4.5
Walk To The Water vs MWays 2.5:5.5
Bullet The Blue Sky vs TTTYAATWorld 3:6
Running To Stand Still vs Ultraviolet 4:6
Red Hill Mining Town vs Acrobat 4:7
Race Against Time vs LIBlindness 4:8
In God's Country vs AlexDIHFBOM/Korova1 5:8
Trip Through Your Wires vs Paint It Black 6:8
Sweetest Thing '87 vs Fortunate Son 7:8
One Tree Hill vs Where Did All Go Wrong 8:8
Deep In The Heart vs Salome 9:8
Exit vs Lady With SHead 10:8
Mothers Of Disappeared vs Satellite Of Love 11:8
-------------------------------------------------------------
TJTree 11 : 8 ABaby

Wtf did you do here???
You put album tracks and b-sides in your fictional order, just to say that Joshua is better. If you can't prove that an album is better, THAN IT ISN'T!!

Pero said:

Thank you!!!
Finally someone who understands it.
I wanted to say the exact same thing, but i just couldn't find words to match this.
Even if i somehow were a Joshua lover, i would be converted to Achtung just because of this text.
Love the part about the fly, just makes it even better.
"Achtung is as close to perfection as 4 guys can get"

Thank you, and i am glad u appreciate it

This is so hard for me...
but ok...

I still prefer JT. Excluding BTBS and TTWY, it's 9 fantastic songs, many of my favourite. but i also love AB... it's a crime to choose one of them.

Back
Top Bottom