Jacknife Lee's U2 playlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Looks like over the next few weeks, U2.com is having various U2-associated people post their "U2 playlist," a collection of their personal faves + songs that highlight their own involvement with the band.

Here's Jacknife Lee's:

http://www.u2.com/highlights/?hid=280

Some good songs, but pretty predictable up until he inserts his own HTDAAB songs (which I guess is part of the deal with these playlists). Kind of surprising, though, that there's not a peep from JT at all.

It'll be interesting to see who else they get and what they put up. I doubt the band will put their own up, but that'd be what I'd really like to see.

I hope this doesn't just get lame and gimmicky like most other things on U2.com do. I enjoyed reading Willie's diary until I realized that every entry pretty much sounded the same.

I want a Dallas Schoo playlist. Lots of big Edge guitar solos :drool:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I hope this doesn't just get lame and gimmicky like most other things on U2.com do. I enjoyed reading Willie's diary until I realized that every entry pretty much sounded the same.

I want a Dallas Schoo playlist. Lots of big Edge guitar solos :drool:

All 5 songs?

Is anybody going to mention the five songs for us none subscribed members or are we dealing with corporate pedants here?

LMP was making a joke (a very, very bad one :tsk: ). The actual playlist is 14 tracks. Since there's a thread about it over in the free part of the Zoo, I thought the article was visible to everyone and not just subscribers. Is this the case?

Here's the playlist:

Garret ‘Jacknife’ Lee

Jacknife Lee, who produced the last two Snow Patrol albums and the latest from Bloc Party, is best known to U2 fans for his work in the studio on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Here's his U2 Playlist.

1. The Electric Co. - Boy
I was very young when this came out and a fan from listening to them on the Fanning show. I vaguely remember a phone-in picking the A-side for the U2/3 EP. I picked the wrong one. Still do. The electric co. was astoundingly good on the Vertigo Tour. Hasn't dated at all. Still urgent and brilliant.

2. Trash, Trampoline and The Party Girl - B-Side / Celebration Single
I love the sound of Bono's voice on this. It's raw and beautiful. A spontaneous and playful recording. Fast cars from HTDAAB has echoes of this. I played this on my battered acoustic when I was a kid. I think I may have listened to the A-side once. A wonderful noise.

3. Like a Song - War
I don't remember loving this when it came out. I was in a bar in New York a few years back and the DJ put this on. It sounded so fresh and blew me away. Fucking brilliant!! You can hear it's influence everywhere now. The Killers, the Walkmen, Bloc Party etc. Larry Mullen is one of the greatest drummers ever. He's inventive and very powerful. The last minute or so of this is superb. If this was released now by a new band folks would be creaming themselves.

4. Bad - The Unforgettable Fire
From the off you know something special is going to happen. Hymnal, honest, earnest, roofless, a band liberated from a need to be cool, sonically superb, undeniably excellent the song still packs a punch now.

5. All I Want is You - Rattle and Hum
You can detect the Springsteen influence here. Aside from one of the most incredible string arrangements ever, this song is a delicious treat. Follows the same topography as Bad. Has all the hallmarks of the U2 sound – seemingly simple yet complex guitar lines, bass doing its own thing. The biblically lyrical references and the drums tastefully providing the backbone but in a subtle, intelligent way. The strings remind me of my favourite song ‘Ode to Billy Joe’ by Billie Joe Spears and I don’t know why.

6. Zoo Station - Achtung Baby
One of the best intros ever. Flood’s brain in hyperdrive. The song sounds like the inside of a gurgling Geiger organic robot during orgasm. There is nothing wrong with this track at all. Fucking brilliant! Bands trying to find their experimental side now seem to just copy this formula. Machine and band fused. Edge has an incredible voice. You hear it every so often and it’s a treat. An amazing start to U2 version 3.0.

7. Stay (faraway, so close) - Zooropa
An intimate band recording with a stunning vocal performance from Bono. I don't know why I like the names of cities listed in songs but I do. An underrated album. Why? The 90s was an incredible decade for U2. Simply lovely.

8. Miss Sarajevo - Passengers
I love this album. Eno and U2 is always special. My friend Howie B worked on this. Howie has a unique mind. The lyics in this song are some of Bono's best. The East 17 line is so emotive. Nice to hear this on the Vertigo Tour too.

9. Beach Sequence - Passengers
Some wonderful melodic moments here. The voice drifting in and out breaks up the track like seeds do in a mouthful of watermelon. Underdone and all the better for it.

10. Mofo - Pop
Bono's voice sounds great here. Fantastic groove. Dynamically very interesting. A hugely ambitious sound finely executed. Dense and deep. I like to delve and find things over a period of time and there is lots to discover in this song. Shame about the fade out. I dislike fading out. It's better to burn out than to fade away. I only agree with this line when it has to do with recordings.

11. Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of - ATYCLB
I had kind of forgotten about U2 at this point. My wife has always been a huge fan. We had our first baby and had both been out work for quite a while. We had no money but everything was perfect and we were happy. Melissa bought the album and we listened to it on repeat while we painted the new baby’s room. I fell in love with U2 again. And then I did the Snow Patrol album and then U2 called me and then we had had another baby. This song is brilliant (despite the weird synthetic brass thing going on at the end).

12. Miracle Drug - HTDAAB
One of the first songs I worked on. Bono's voice has arrived at a magnificent area. It has weight, soulfulness, experience and credibility. The lyrics are some of their best: "there is no failure here sweetheart"; "freedom has a scent like the top of a new born baby's head". A euphoric moment live. Uplifting and dare I say inspirational. An instant classic. Edge sings, Larry sings! Exceptional and effortless U2. They are at one of the best points in their career now. Comfortable in their own skin with nothing to lose and playing like motherfuckers. HTDAAB is one of their best yet.

13. A Man and a Woman - HTDAAB
A very underrated song. Again an exceptional performance by Bono. Boy, Edge can sing high, listen to the middle eight. Sultry and sticky.....a fine fine song about the odd mysteries of love. Which leads nicely too.

14. She's a Mystery to Me - B-Side/ All Because of You
What is there to say ? I do love the Orbison version and it's difficult to hear this without his voice haunting the recording. A simple and brilliant song... ".

The best comments are the last line for Like A Song :drool: and those for Zoo Station.

Makes me want to put Beach Sequence on, too....

Like A Song?

MOFO?

Miracle Drug?

I LOVE THIS GUY :love:

Stuck (studio version) is great too

Last edited:
Yahweh_OMG said:
I agree with his list for the most part......

Stuck in a moment has nothing to do in there though.....

I agree with you. Seeing that song in there made me laugh.

Yahweh_OMG said:
I agree with his list for the most part......

Stuck in a moment has nothing to do in there though.....

Agreed. I thought it was pretty good until #11 came up.

Some of his comments are pretty daft and the inclusion of Stuck is inexcusable, but BEACH SEQUENCE! Now there's one I didn't expect to see. That's a truly great pick.

good list :up: :madspit: to all you Stuck haters :wink:

I'd like to hear Jacknife Lee produce an entire U2 album. I dislike HTDAAB's production for the most part but I don't know if that's his fault. i blame lilywhite and having too many producers in general. Lee's work on the new Bloc Party though is just fantastic, and he clearly has good taste in U2 music :wink: his comments about Like a Song are especially good.

Got to give him credit for his love of Passengers, didn't expect that, or Like a Song and Zoo Station. SO Respect.
However, Miracle Drug? I guess the facy he was involved with it explains it's inclusion, but it is awful.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
LMP was making a joke (a very, very bad one :tsk: ). The actual playlist is 14 tracks. Since there's a thread about it over in the free part of the Zoo, I thought the article was visible to everyone and not just subscribers. Is this the case?

:tsk::tsk:

Everything after Stuck in a Moment had me going :barf:

but not She's a Mystery to Me :love:

I agree with him on Trash trampoline and the party girl, not sure why its hated so much on here, its a LOT better than most of their recent b-side efforts.

The live version on Under a Blood Red Sky is fun, but the studio recording of Party Girl is just really, really .... well, BAD.

Like a Song truly does have a great outro. It's the only time you can say that the best part of the song is the ending without being negative or sarcastic.

corianderstem said:
The live version on Under a Blood Red Sky is fun, but the studio recording of Party Girl is just really, really .... well, BAD.

Bono sounds like a crow that is being strangled slowly.

Wow. That list is the SUK.

That list is example A, B, C (and every other letter in the alphabet) why Jacknife Lee should not produce U2 again. Ever.

Miracle Drug and A Man and a Woman? Is he for realz ??

Back
Top Bottom