It's not that AMAAW is the worst song on the album......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
.....it just has a different feel to the rest of the album. i realized earlier today that when i'm switching songs on the new album, i frequently skip over AMAAW, yet everytime i listen to the song, i absolutely love it.

i've come to the conclusion that i do this not because it's the weakest track, but it's just so different from the rest of the album, and the song makes me reach. kind of interesting.

:up:

I actually really didn't like this song when I first heard it and then I read Michael Griffith's review and agreed with his feeling that it was the weakest track on the album. Mostly, I thought the melody didn't really accompany the mood of the song well. The thing is, I actually really like it now when I listen to it as a standalone mp3, but I don't like it in the context of the album. I'm not sure if it sounds off because of its placement on the album (it kind of gets lost between ABOY and Crumbs) or because it's just so fundamentally different that it should have been a b-side to something or an extra track on select versions or what.

it;s a cool experiment amongst the blazing guitars! the tempop and rhythm is amzing!

There aren't many bands that have a rhythm section that can dominate a song like that, and Edge put the perfect guitars over the rhythm and bono sings it with such passion and desperation! WOW, i think a liitle dose of love and sexiness is wghat the album needed at that spot, then it's back nito guitars with crumbs which is perfectly set to lead into one step closer and so on.

I really went off when I heard AMAAW at first, as well as crumbs, expecting them to be weak, but AMAAW really went off and seemed very unexpected and experimental and risky!! I loved it!

I think it is fitting with the quirky-ness of U2 albums how everysong sounds different than others on the album, though they may be somewhat in the same vein. Thats what sets them apart from other bands who only have one sound through an album, part of the appeal and excitement of listening to U2.

Last edited:
I like it primarily because it reminds me alot of "love comes tumbling", and anything that reminds me of UF/JT u2 is good enough for me.

plus, the way the bass line stays the same but the chords change reminds me of mysterious ways.

Hmm ... I actually like how it links ABOY and Crumbs, though I honestly often skip ABOY just to get straight from COBL to AMAAW.

JOFO said:
I like it primarily because it reminds me alot of "love comes tumbling", and anything that reminds me of UF/JT u2 is good enough for me.

plus, the way the bass line stays the same but the chords change reminds me of mysterious ways.

One Tree Hill does the same bass line things, staying the same and all.

MrBrau1 said:

One Tree Hill does the same bass line things, staying the same and all.

yep, which makes it all the more cooler.

JOFO said:
Thank you! I brought up this comparison a while back in some other AMAAW thread and was bashed by someone who said it sounded nothing like LCT, which was a much better song. I personally don't have a problem with the song. It's not my favorite, but the only thing I don't like about it is the falsetto in the middle..."Brown eyed girl across the street"...etc. For some this is their favorite part of the song, but it makes me cringe a little.

Last edited:
I really think this is a sleeper hit. If this gets released as a single, it would do really well on radio. What do you guys think?

ADecentMelody said:
I really think this is a sleeper hit. If this gets released as a single, it would do really well on radio. What do you guys think?

I totally agree. However, I doubt this will be a single (Besides Vertigo and ABOY, I'm guessing Sometimes, COBL and maybe Miracle Drug will be the other singles).

The thing I find infuriating about this song is that I LOVE the verse sections and am only so-so on the chorus. I would never skip it, but always feel uneven listening to it.

It is different. I like the Latin flavor of it, though.

At first I didn't like it that much, but now...like the melody, Bono's voice is superb and I like the contemplative love song nature of the lyrics.
(is it just me or does anyone else feel like he's really talking about his marriage to Ali in this one?)

As for weakest song, the first and last one IMO aren't up to par with the rest.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
This song is wonderful. Guys, I don't think you realize the seduction power this song will have on women you are trying to woo...trust me. Very sexy song.

I can vouch for that. I had a girl over and I was playing a mix of songs (mostly old r&b) but I slipped in AMAAW and she asked who that was, when I told her she didn't believe it was u2. Which led me to a "HTDAAB rocks" rant which broke the mood :wink:

LOL RademR! :lol: :up:

I know how you feel, i get way too carried away when i start
talking about U2, i always end up noticing that everyone
has left the room

Back
Top Bottom