Is "Vertigo" THAT bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rachel D. said:
Today in art class, "Vertigo" was on the radio, and the first thing anyone said was, "I frickin' HATE this song." Then this other kid said, "I like it, but I don't like the band." And to top it all off, the teacher muttered, "Yuck! I can't stand this song!" Some of my friends don't like it, either. Is it really THAT bad of a song? Do most "normal" people find it completely repulsive? Are we crazy or are they crazy?

I, personally, don't think it's that bad. It's a good, upbeat, catchy song, but it's not as good as some of the other songs on the album. It may very well be annoying people out of their minds.

What are your thoughts?

I would have told your teacher that you were highly offended by his/her remarks and made to feel very uncomfortable by them. And that any more such outbursts would cause you to sue him, the principal, the school, the school district and the state.

I would then tell your fellow classmates that while the expression is appreciated, you hope that you don't mind when you equally yell out your total disgust at music they enjoy and how you'll subsequently poster the school and their homes with fliers saying how artist X "sucks". You should also mention that you'll call them hourly reminding them of how much you think said artist sucks.

That should keep their pie-holes quiet.

:wink:

mmmm..... pie.....

I would just like to remind that you have a better taste in music than they do, I like to do that based on that a. the music I like has substance
b. Metallica are not better than Pink Floyd
c, Vertigo is f>?kin class

The song itself isn´t that bad ( despite is childish for me :sad: you know , yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah... ) but what makes the song worse is all that marketing machine behind it :tsk: :down:
iPod, silly video, commercials, www.u2.com, etc, etc, etc

doctorwho said:

Yes you are.

Oh, you mean the song... nah, disagree. A great song can never get over-played or exposed. However, you, on the other hand...

:wink:

Eh? Uhmmmmm... ok

:der: :huh:

IMO the IPOD commercial gives this U2 song more exposure than MTV, VH1, and radio (maybe) ever did for any other U2 song. Add to the fact that this commercial is played in addition to the other U2 promotional junk... voila! Thus my comment on over-exposed/ over-played. It happens to the best of them. Me, I still like Vertigo and there will always be people who hate U2 or hate the "in/ commercial" thing... what can you do. :shrug:

A friend of mine scared the crap out of me because he brought something to my attention that I had not noticed before. He said Vertigo was a rip-off of that song "Get Free" (I want to get freeeee..) in the part where it says "Come here Come here come here" it sounds just like the "Vertigo" riff. What do you guys think? :scratch:

I love it and can't hear it enough. When I first heard the iPod commercial I loved it and I would run to the TV whenever I heard it.
People that I know that would tell me they hate U2 were really fans - they had their CD's but just wanted to hate them b/c they were popular and b/c they knew I loved them. Then they'd act like they weren't loving the U2 song that came on the radio. :rolleyes: :shrug: :lol:

to be honest.... i have to say that I feel so awkward when i hear the "Hola's" and the "como esta's" in that song... I speak spanish and i have to say that i can't take that song seriously with bono saying that silly frases on it...

my sister said once that "vertigo" is like a very long advertising for cell phones cuz of that frases... and i have to say that she's right :(...

Back
Top Bottom