Is That All and Electric Co.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edgette

ONE love, blood, life
Has anyone noticed that opening guitar parts to both of these songs are the same? Does anyone know why? Edge wasn't getting lazy on us was he? :wink:

I think they took the opening from Is That All? and added it to The Electric Co. for the live version.

kevink said:
I think they took the opening from Is That All? and added it to The Electric Co. for the live version.

Actually I think it came from ANOTHER song called Cry!

Electric Co is in my top 5 ever btw!

yeah, sorry to just repeat what's said but they basically played the Cry at the beginning of The Electric Co. when playing the song Live and obviously thought it would be a good riff to use for another song on 'October'...and it IS!

Is that All is the BEST possible ending for one of U2's BEST albums!!!

Originally posted by

And that is your opinion, of course. :wink:
I think that during the recording of October U2 were really fighting against a deadline (back when they didn't have the power to let it just pass) and had to come up with another song. Out of desperation they used the instrumental beginning of The Electric Co. (dubbed The Cry) so they didn't have to spend any more time at coming up with a melody. But that does not mean it is a good ending for a U2 album.

C ya!

Marty

Last edited by a moderator:
the intro for "is that all" was used in the live version of the electric co. the intro for electric co was not used in "is that all"

either way this works, i still think October is a weak album, very inconsistent, and i knwo this is due mostly to the fact that bono lost his notebook of lyrics close to the deadline, but that doesn't make this any less inexcusable. If they had another 6 months, this album could have become one of their best from the 80's, there was a TON of potential in some of these songs, but just wasn't fulfilled. It's a shame that after such a solid and brilliant debut, they had to rush out an inferior work like this.

Who cares, both songs ROCK and are some of my favourites....so many people bag Is that all, I think it is a great song, sure, it dosnt have amazing lyrics when you look at other stuff Bono has written, but it Rocks!!!! nuff said:wink:

Originally posted by
yeah, sorry to just repeat what's said but they basically played the Cry at the beginning of The Electric Co. when playing the song Live and obviously thought it would be a good riff to use for another song on 'October'...and it IS!

Yes, finally someone in agreeance with me on the tru quality of Is That All?....it is the best ending and the second best track of october......pure brilliance....don't know why so many people bag it so much, Niall Stokes, (he did write INTO THE HEART the book didnt he?), seemed to absolutely despise the track

Last edited by a moderator:
TCUFrog said:
the intro for "is that all" was used in the live version of the electric co. the intro for electric co was not used in "is that all"

No, the intro for The Electric Co. (dubbed Cry) was there before the band had started recording Is That All? According to the U2 Live book, they had this intro to The Electric Co. at least from November 1980 (21 November to be exact).

Just to clear that up.

C ya!

Marty

Ani DiFranco uses a lot of the same/very similar guitar riffs. But if Edge is doing it, I've never noticed, so it doesn't matter!

Popmartijn said:

And that is your opinion, of course. :wink:
I think that during the recording of October U2 were really fighting against a deadline (back when they didn't have the power to let it just pass) and had to come up with another song. Out of desperation they used the instrumental beginning of The Electric Co. (dubbed The Cry) so they didn't have to spend any more time at coming up with a melody. But that does not mean it is a good ending for a U2 album.

C ya!

Marty

When did anyone say that it was a great ending BECAUSE of the fact the riff was lifted from another song?? It's a great track to end the album! Yes, it's my opinion...

Back
Top Bottom