Is 'Boy' one of the great debut records in rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No.

It's definitely a solid debut, but it was just a mild hint of what was to come. And what came after it was far more brilliant, influential and long-lasting.

Boy is an exhilarating blast of youthful enthusiasm energy and one of my favourite U2 albums. A great debut? Yeah I'd say so. In my view a great debut doesn't necessarily need to be a band's defining album and show its absolute full potential.

Just played Boy, and I don't care what anyone says or how influential it was or wasn't or anything like that: for me, this is not only the best debut ever, but one of the best albums ever full stop.

Abso-bloody-lutely incredible record.

Boy to me doesn't sound dated and im sure if they were a new band in 2005 they would be the darlings of nme or mtv2. They were somewhat overlooked in 1980 as they were not as hip and trendy as the OMD's, Human League's and Depeche Modes of this era. If it was released today with all the same media coverage as new current darlings of nme, bands such as Razorlight, Franz ferdinand, Kings of Leon etc , Boy would blow all their debut albums to bits.

Having said that Im looking forward to Nine Black Alps debut, will definitely be great !!!

typhoon said:

Hey, don't blame me:

"Compare that to someone like Jeff Buckley, who only had one completed album in his lifetime but is still considered a legend."

My participles don't dangle. But okay, I'll drop it.

WOW. I have been considering a move to Raleigh, hopefully this guy is not indicative of the attitude of the area.

What a dick.

I don't like having my words misconstrued and then being accused of phrasing them badly. It's understandable to misread things on occasion, but you should just fess up to it instead of blaming the other guy.

Also, you'll notice that I didn't personally insult anyone and that Ruckman didn't personally insult anyone, but you did just now. You must be an acrobat to talk like this and act like that.

And it's lovely in Raleigh. U2's tour schedule has a Carolina-phobia, though.

Last edited:
i think it was a great debit especially when you look at their progress and change over time it stands out more IMO...

then again i thinkt hat bruce springsteen and the police had some amazaing debut albums :whistle:

I can see the point of those arguing its lack of influence and impact upon the overall musical landscape, but personally, on the basis of quality and strength of songs I rate it right up there......

I know a lot of people like to harp on the "classics" (Led Zep, Beatles, Pistols, Velv.Ungd, etc etc) but I'd like to point to another equally brilliant debut in my mind that nobody has mentioned (maybe scared to include a newer album)...... Pearl Jam's Ten

I agree that Boy did not have the clout that some of these albums did, but I stand by my call......

FWIW.. this is a list of the top 10 selling debut albums of all time...

Not that sales translates into a great album (especially when the cds are purchased by crazy teenie boppers)

1. Boston "Boston" (17 million)
2. Hootie & The Blowfish, "Cracked Rear View" (16 million)

3. Guns N' Roses, "Appetite for Destruction" (15 million)

4. (tie) Back Street Boys, "Back Street Boys"; Meat Loaf, "Bat Out of Hell" (14 million)

5. (tie) Britney Spears, "Baby One More Time"; Whitney Houston, "Whitney Houston" (13 million)

6. (tie) Pearl Jam, "Ten"; matchbox twenty, "Yourself or Someone Like You" (12 million)

7. Jewel, "Pieces of You" (11 million)

8. (tie) 'N Sync, "'N Sync"; Van Halen, "Van Halen"; George Michael, "Faith" (10 million)

9. (tie) Will Smith, "Big Willie Style"; Boyz II Men, "Cooleyhighharmony"; Garth Brooks, "Garth Brooks"; Beastie Boys, "License To Ill"; Mariah Carey, "Mariah Carey"; Billy Ray Cyrus, "Some Gave All"; Ace of Base, "The Sign" (9 million)

10. (tie) Norah Jones, "Come Away With Me"; Lauryn Hill, "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill; Christina Aguilera, "Christina Aguilera"; Stone Temple Pilots, "Core"; Nelly, "Country Grammar," Linkin Park, "Hybrid Theory"; Toni Braxton, "Toni Braxton" (8 million)

Back
Top Bottom