Is Bono repeating himself on HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Seems like a lot of Bono's lyrics on the new album are recycled versions of things he's already written:

1) "You're like honey on my tongue" (remember "Like honey on the tongue" from Hawkmoon 269)

2) "you're the reason the opera is in me" (similar to "and I heard opera in my head" from Ultraviolet)

I know there are others... anyone have any?

No -- I mean strictly lyrically. Never mind the ideas or themes of the songs; I'm talking about the actual lyrics/words themselves.

I'm not blaming Bono or passing judment on the lyrics, either. I'm just curious as to how many other lines echo his earlier lyrics.

"The soul needs beauty for a soul mate" is in both A Man and a Woman, and Always.

LyricalDrug said:
I'm not blaming Bono or passing judment on the lyrics, either. I'm just curious as to how many other lines echo his earlier lyrics.

I suppose you have 'Yahweh' - 'Do You Feel Loved', where Yahweh's "Take these..." bits are reminiscent of DYFL.
If I thought about it for long enough, i'd probably find a few more. But as long as the subject of the song is something different (and I think in the connection I've pointed out, the 2 subjects could hardly be more different!) then that's ok for me!:wink:

LyricalDrug said:
Seems like a lot of Bono's lyrics on the new album are recycled versions of things he's already written:

1) "You're like honey on my tongue" (remember "Like honey on the tongue" from Hawkmoon 269)

He also says 'honey on my tongue' in Summer Rain.

2) "you're the reason the opera is in me" (similar to "and I heard opera in my head" from Ultraviolet)

The line in Sometimes is a tribute to his Dad who was an opera singer for giving him his voice. It has nothing to do with the Ultraviolet line so I don't consider that a repeat.

Let's just hope he's done with "top of a newborn baby's head";)

I've had 3 and I don't know what he's talking about :huh: Baby heads smell like either milk or powder. Is that the scent of freedom? :crack: ;)

i don't mind he's repeating himself at all. i think it's a good thing!!! gives you the feeling of something you felt before, but in another way. :)

U2Kitten said:
I've had 3 and I don't know what he's talking about :huh: Baby heads smell like either milk or powder. Is that the scent of freedom? :crack: ;)

lol... :up:

if freedom would smell like milk... i would prefer the chains... i hate milk :D...

i don't wanna sound cocky but repeating stuff is normal... is part of the creative process: sometimes you want to create a new thing, so you go to your room and look for your old sketches and notebooks and you start to recycle useful things .. So people would find old things in your new art.

repeating is a negative thing when you say or paint the same shit over and over... so people starts to get bored.

a person with strong convictions like Bono can say the same thing but it is hard to find new ways to express those ideas, and that's more hard if you do the same stuff for almost 30 years!!. So i think that if he is retaking his old lyrics that's fine as long as he doesn't use the same formula everytime. and i'm not talking just about his lyrics but U2's music in general.

Last edited:
At least he resisted the temptation to once again dream out loud.

You can't blame him for his limited vocabulary and phrases in his song-writing arsenal. His formal education was also limited as well.

Cheers,

J

Aardvark747 said:

I suppose you have 'Yahweh' - 'Do You Feel Loved', where Yahweh's "Take these..." bits are reminiscent of DYFL.
If I thought about it for long enough, i'd probably find a few more. But as long as the subject of the song is something different (and I think in the connection I've pointed out, the 2 subjects could hardly be more different!) then that's ok for me!:wink:

I always thought DYFL and Yahweh were similar in ideas/ themes. They are both "prayers." Yahweh is more open/ straight foward than the other.

Flying FuManchu said:

I always thought DYFL and Yahweh were similar in ideas/ themes. They are both "prayers." Yahweh is more open/ straight foward than the other.

Yeah...tho I was mainly refering to the obvious, sexual feel to the song mid-way thru DYFL!:wink:

:drool:

Just to add to my statement about Bono's lack of vocabulary, it just means what is that the data in his brain is limited.

But it seems Bono doesn't use his brain much, but prefers to use his heart. His songs come from the heart not from his brain. And his singing comes from his soul, not his brain.

So it's really not an issue to me that Bono constantly repeats himself. At least he does these repetitions in different contexts and the songs still sound fresh (at least most of them).

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Just to add to my statement about Bono's lack of vocabulary, it just means what is that the data in his brain is limited.

But it seems Bono doesn't use his brain much, but prefers to use his heart. His songs come from the heart not from his brain. And his singing comes from his soul, not his brain.

So it's really not an issue to me that Bono constantly repeats himself. At least he does these repetitions in different contexts and the songs still sound fresh (at least most of them).

Cheers,

J

LOL! jick is right though. I have no problem with some repetitions if done in different contexts.

sallycinnamon78 said:
That's what's known as "a backhanded compliment".

First off, sorry for being off-topic, but congrats on 1000 posts!

Back to the topic, ...well it still IS a compliment nevertheless!

Cheers,

J

I think he repeats himself more in his public speaking. In fact in his public speaking I feel that Bono repeats himself more than in his songs. When giving addresses or television interviews I am of the opinion that Bono reiterates that which he has stated on prior occasions. Sometimes Bono leaves me with a feeling of dejavu, especially when seeing or hearing him interviewed.

Watering cans, mother of all rock n roll records, an extraordinary person, this time will be remembered for three things, its not a cause its an emergency.

Such phrases can be excused (with the possible exception of the mother of all rock'n'roll comment) for two reasons
a) Only folk like us are sad enough to notice him repeating them as we digest every word he utters
and
b) These are important messages that bear repeating in an effort to drive an important message home.

So no, he ain't really repeating himself on the Atomic Boob.

Back
Top Bottom