Interference Campaign to Push WITS up the Charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Had this idea driving into work this morning, listening to 18:Singles.

Back in 2000, after ATYCLB was released, a bunch of U2 fans on the WIRE fansite (that used to be the main fansite, before Interference) decided to orchestrate a campaign to make Beautiful Day a big hit. We wanted it to be all over the radio. Instead of everyone calling their local stations, people figured it would be better to target Los Angeles, since that was the center of the pop music universe. We decided to request Beautiful Day on StarFM's nightly "Top 5 Request" line.

Sure enough, Beautiful Day went to number 1 on StarFM's request show. And it stayed at number 1 for WEEKS. People called every night. The local DJs almost got tired of it, but what could they do? It got pretty funny after a while.

Simultaneously, Beautiful Day started to become a huge worldwide hit. I have no idea to what extent it was because of the WIRE fan campaign (and of course there were lots of online debates about this) but it definitely didn't hurt.

Anyone want to do the same for "Window in the Skies"? I think it has the potential to be a massive hit. I don't live in L.A., so I don't know if StarFM still exists or does their nightly countdown anymore. Anyone from L.A. know? Does KROQ do anything like this?

is anyone even still preserving hope that WITS would make an impact on any charts? the momentum's completely gone and i have been unfortunately convinced that even U2 aren't pressing with the song at all....

is it charting at all anywhere in the world?

^

Most parts of the world the single charts when it hits the shops, no panic.

I'm going to pass on this one. As much as I hope it sells, I don't consider it to be a superior U2 song, and unlike Saints, there isn't a good cause connected to it.

tonyhotland said:
is anyone even still preserving hope that WITS would make an impact on any charts? the momentum's completely gone and i have been unfortunately convinced that even U2 aren't pressing with the song at all....

I don't know, but it is getting heavy airplay in the SF Bay Area (KFOG, Live 105, and Alice 97.3 are all playing it).

LyricalDrug said:
Had this idea driving into work this morning, listening to 18:Singles.

Back in 2000, after ATYCLB was released, a bunch of U2 fans on the WIRE fansite (that used to be the main fansite, before Interference) decided to orchestrate a campaign to make Beautiful Day a big hit. We wanted it to be all over the radio. Instead of everyone calling their local stations, people figured it would be better to target Los Angeles, since that was the center of the pop music universe. We decided to request Beautiful Day on StarFM's nightly "Top 5 Request" line.

Sure enough, Beautiful Day went to number 1 on StarFM's request show. And it stayed at number 1 for WEEKS. People called every night. The local DJs almost got tired of it, but what could they do? It got pretty funny after a while.

Simultaneously, Beautiful Day started to become a huge worldwide hit. I have no idea to what extent it was because of the WIRE fan campaign (and of course there were lots of online debates about this) but it definitely didn't hurt.

Anyone want to do the same for "Window in the Skies"? I think it has the potential to be a massive hit. I don't live in L.A., so I don't know if StarFM still exists or does their nightly countdown anymore. Anyone from L.A. know? Does KROQ do anything like this?

Great idea. I'm with you. I think sending people copies of the video or links to it can help, too. Especially fans of the musicians in the video that aren't U2. : )

U2 always does well in Canada so as of the week 30 Nov - 7 Dec, Window In The Skies moved from 46 to 28 on the Hits Chart(radio airplay). It should move up quite a bit when last weeks chart comes out tomorrow.

-Other U2 chart success right now in Canada has them at no. 1 after five weeks in single sales with Saints.
-They have moved up to 17th with All Because Of You. Re-release?
-And 22nd with City Of Blinding Lights. Re-release?
-After reaching no. 3 for album sales, Singles has dropped to 10th after 3 weeks. In Vancouver it is 7th which for some reason Van always outperforms other Cdn cities when it comes to U2.

WITS reached no. 20 on Japan's Top 20 Dec 1 but has now dropped off the chart.

On the World Modern Rock Top 30 Singles chart WITS is at 27 after 1 week.

Last edited:
Lyrical Drug ... I would definitely like to help push the song on radio. If someone knows how to contact StarFM ... count me in.

Also, the song is number 27 on the US Hot AC chart ... at last check. And, has been number on one on the US AAA chart for four straight weeks.

I'm in the UK, and think this is a cool idea and the song is getting played on radio one alot at the moment. But I'll still text them requesting it!

partygirlvox said:
I'm in the UK, and think this is a cool idea and the song is getting played on radio one alot at the moment. But I'll still text them requesting it!

Nice. Can you post the number to send text requests to Radio 1?

Maybe we should go after London and L.A.

Great Campaign considering the lack of good music being played on the radio at this moment im suprised it hasnt had more airplay.... Let all do our bit to Get this song played.

D'oh! Well, after getting no answer after calling the request line, I called the business line at Star FM and they told me they don't do the nightly Top 5 countdown anymore.

Grrrr... that sucks. Hmm. Any SoCal-ers know of any other pop/alternative/rock stations in L.A. that do a daily countdown?

Let's get it on KROQ in L.A. I think we should all target that station. It's the most influential rock station in the country (that is not opinion, it is fact). Whatever KROQ plays a lot of, ends up spreading elsewhere. Here is their request page:

http://www.kroq-data.com/request/

They don't have a link yet for WITS but I requested that they add one. (They have an entry form for this.) I'm still trying to find their phone number...

LyricalDrug said:
Let's get it on KROQ in L.A. I think we should all target that station. It's the most influential rock station in the country (that is not opinion, it is fact). Whatever KROQ plays a lot of, ends up spreading elsewhere. Here is their request page:

http://www.kroq-data.com/request/

They don't have a link yet for WITS but I requested that they add one. (They have an entry form for this.) I'm still trying to find their phone number...

ok i requested it

I won't call anywhere to push this song...... they seriously don't deserve any chart Christmas present for a song like that!

Give us a good single song like Beautiful Day or Vertigo, or The Fly.... it will go number 1 or 2 without us calling Radio Stations......how weird!

If they are good, perfect, if they get worse, let them get worse.....

Well I've phoned in a few times and been streaming KROQ on my computer... have heard the song twice so far. Good stuff...

This was the first radio station in the world to play it (that early Radiohead-overlap MP3 was off KROQ) so they'd better keep it up! It's a great track and deserves a good marketing push.

As they say in Chicago, vote early and vote often!

1-800- 520-1067

Call up and request Window in the Skies!

Yahweh_OMG said:
I won't call anywhere to push this song...... they seriously don't deserve any chart Christmas present for a song like that!

Give us a good single song like Beautiful Day or Vertigo, or The Fly.... it will go number 1 or 2 without us calling Radio Stations......how weird!

If they are good, perfect, if they get worse, let them get worse.....

No Way do you see what bad music they have in the charts these days??? are you saying "Gwen Stafanni - Wind it Up" is better?

Check it out! KROQ has added "Window to the Sky" (typo is their mistake) to their "what's new" page. Except they list it as a Raconteurs song, not a U2 song... lol.

Go to kroq.com, click on "what's new" on the leftside nav bar, and there it is...

Please call and request it!

Back
Top Bottom