In A Little While

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the assumption that the song may also be about the love to a child comes from a misunderstanding that happens if you don't know or don't consider Bono's personal history. In fact it's about him knowing his wife for a very long time. They first met when they were both children. Of course Bono is exaggerating it and maybe taking it out of his private sphere a bit by singing "a little girl with spanish eyes/when I saw her in a pram they pushed her by" and so on. I agree, this, combined with the more erotic overtones in the song, may come across a little ackward to some people who don't know anything about Bono's personal life. Plus, there is another layer, the "hangover" story. It's quite a simple song, at the same time lyrically quite complex.

last unicorn said:
Bono is exaggerating it and maybe taking it out of his private sphere a bit by singing "a little girl with spanish eyes/when I saw her in a pram they pushed her by" and so on. I agree, this, combined with the more erotic overtones in the song, may come across a little ackward to some people who don't know anything about Bono's personal life. Plus, there is another layer, the "hangover" story. It's quite a simple song, at the same time lyrically quite complex.

Thanks; that's all I'm trying to point out... for example, someone else covering this in 10 or 20 years would have to alter some of the lyrics significantly and//or feel a bit awkward... same with "Original of the Species"...

imo, this will keep them from becoming the "Hey Jude" or "All You Need is Love" or "Can't Buy Me Love" equivalent of the 00s, which may have been part of the vision, given Bono's renewed interest in the Beatles as inspiration for U2's 00s sound//image...

last unicorn said:
I think the assumption that the song may also be about the love to a child comes from a misunderstanding that happens if you don't know or don't consider Bono's personal history. In fact it's about him knowing his wife for a very long time. They first met when they were both children. Of course Bono is exaggerating it and maybe taking it out of his private sphere a bit by singing "a little girl with spanish eyes/when I saw her in a pram they pushed her by" and so on. I agree, this, combined with the more erotic overtones in the song, may come across a little ackward to some people who don't know anything about Bono's personal life. Plus, there is another layer, the "hangover" story. It's quite a simple song, at the same time lyrically quite complex.

Yes they did meet young, Bono and Ali were 13 and 12 respectively when they first met on her first day at Mount Temple. The reason he uses the baby image though is that when they started dating when he was 16 and she 15 his friends in school called him a "baby snatcher" because she was a year younger than him.

Dana

Varitek said:
Guys you've seen the Elevation DVD, right? You know he wrote this about a hangover?

Who cares why and about what he wrote this song !? :scratch: The important is what YOU hear in it, no ?:confused:

I had this song played just before exchanging rings at my wedding.

"In a little while surely you'll be mine
In a little while I'll be there
In a little while this hurt will hurt no more
I'll be home, love"

I thought and still think it fits perfect, even the next verse which describes how you can expect support from this "little girl" who has grown so much since you first met.

Great riff, great, honest song.

As for the theories of child sexual abuse, young love, or hangovers, I would like to point out that one of U2's hallmarks is intentionally ambitious lyrics.

"OMG with or without you....with or without ME. Bano is singing to ME. I really feel this song! Oh my god I have got to go out and buy U2:18 now! I hope it has the Green Day song on it..."

:love:

I remember hearing it live and being up close, and Bono would pretend to be pushing the pram while near the tip of the heart and Edge was on the other side about to meet at the tip with Bono :heart:

Turn it on
Turn it on
You turn me on :combust:

TripThroughWire said:

Who cares why and about what he wrote this song !? :scratch: The important is what YOU hear in it, no ?:confused:

I had this song played just before exchanging rings at my wedding.

"In a little while surely you'll be mine
In a little while I'll be there
In a little while this hurt will hurt no more
I'll be home, love"

I thought and still think it fits perfect, even the next verse which describes how you can expect support from this "little girl" who has grown so much since you first met.

Great pick for your wedding, that was a thread awhile back, and i don't think anyone offered it.
Answer to your question-I happen to be interested in what Bono was thinking/meaning about the songs, just because i find him to be a complex and interesting person. and i guess being a big fan of his, i feel sometimes we may learn things about him from his songs. Maybe i am in the minority. And of course they bring something to me personally, especially since i have been along for the U2 experience since their beginning.

Back
Top Bottom