Im Sorry If This Is In The Wrong Thread But ColdPlay Wants To Be U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Muse was radiohead when I heard that song "i want someone to HOOOOLLLLD"..dont know the name of it...piano's on it and such...?

Starlight, which is a rather scintillating and pleasant enough song from a band who I find thoroughly bland and repetitious, particularly their last album. Map Of The Problematique is a cracking tune though.

Just from what I've heard though, aside from the minor (and it is minor) influence of Radiohead on Coldplay, most of the bands whose sound is inspired by what Radiohead achieved on OkC, are rather abysmal to my human ear. Just mindless noise and wailing.

I thought Muse was radiohead when I heard that song "i want someone to HOOOOLLLLD"..dont know the name of it...piano's on it and such...?

not really seeing any similarities there with "Starlight" or Muse for the matter with RH. No comparison between the two... just IMO tho. I'm a huge Muse fan and a even huger Radiohead fan..

This song is very mainstream (too much radio play) compared to some of there other songs... Muse are over the top, sonic, atmospheric songs (on the same page as say Queen and they are more similar with them than RH). Radiohead songs are more introspective, dark, layered in the feel of many of their songs.. It's hard to explain really.

June 9, 2008

CHRIS Martin, whose new album Viva La Vida or Death and All His
Friends is released this week, looks to Irish rockers U2 as a measure
of success.

He said: "U2 once said they were reapplying for the job as the best
band in the world. On Viva La Vida… we feel like we're just reapplying
to be a band again.

"I always view our albums in terms of U2 albums. Viva La Vida is our
Unforgettable Fire in that it's less straightforward, more oblique.
It's about sex and death and love and fear and travel and illness.
There's light and there's dark."

Despite the critical acclaim the band have received, the Violet Hill
singer doesn't think Coldplay are the best band in the world.

Chris added: "The best bands in the world today are probably Arcade
Fire and Sigur Ros. I think Coldplay is only the seventh best band in
the world."

Earlier this week, Chris revealed he has been dreaming about U2
frontman Bono.

He said: "I always dream about other musicians. And with U2 or
Radiohead it's always, 'Hey, how are you doing?' And they are never
interested in hanging out with us. It's a permanent feeling of being
at school and the bigger boys don't want to play with you."

© Perth Now, 2008.

"Viva La Vida is our Unforgettable Fire..."

there's a difference between Beatles being an influence on Coldplay, and Coldplay literally copying an exact chord progression in one of their songs...and this is all beside the point....

This is about Coldplay and U2....Coldplay is such a blatent rip off of U2 it's sickening...from the dancing to the interviews to the speeches to the attitude...it's all a big fucking joke....Rather than re inventing themselves, they produce the same old bullshit...The opening track to the new album is a rip off of streets..yes, a rip off, they have taken parts of the beginning of streets and carried that into their song, if you can even call it that....I mean I don't get it- you're in denial if you can't see this...

The Unforgettable Fire of 2008? My ass. TUF shits on this new record.....although this record might be one of Coldplay's best....:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Look, don't take offense to any of this...Chris Martin and Coldplay really just irritate me....and it's a shame because if Martin didn't make it so damn obvious it would be much easier to listen to their music....

"The banks became cathedrals, from the rooftops I remember" - Violet Hill

Good line there Martin!!! Did U2's "Pop" have any influence on you this time around?

:rolleyes:

The guy in 40 year old virgin said it best "You wanna know how i know youre gay....." those who have seen the film know how.

Look, don't take offense to any of this...Chris Martin and Coldplay really just irritate me...

I know this may come as a shock, but there are many, many, many people out there who feel the exact same way about Bono and U2. If I would say the same thing about Bono, you would probably take offense to it and fight me tooth and nail to try and change my viewpoint.

So who's right and who's wrong? Really, what you're saying is just an opinion, and nowhere near fact, and the same goes for the Bono-haters out there.

And I hate to harp on the same point over and over, but musical tastes are subjective. No two people hear the same thing and no two people derive the same level of enjoyment from any given song. That being said, in my opinion, I hear nothing of Streets in the Life in Technicolor—Coldplay didn't even use conventional instruments for the track.

I never liked coldplay before until this new song that's on the ipod commercials and i've heard it on a local radio station alot and i think it's different than U2 and i like it alot. GOOD NEW music, WOW! and i don't even know it's name. I love it!

In Life In Technicolor I think its just the way the track is laid structurally - I can definitely hear the influence of streets/COBL in there..not so much in the notes that much but in the structure of the song...I think if they made it a full song with lyrics then we would have more fire power against it.

By the way I started this thread when I got back from a night of boozin', im glad it made it this far, cheers.

I never liked coldplay before until this new song that's on the ipod commercials and i've heard it on a local radio station alot and i think it's different than U2 and i like it alot. GOOD NEW music, WOW! and i don't even know it's name. I love it!

Heh. I'm neither here nor there on Coldplay. Love some of their stuff and don't care for other of it....can't say i'm really into the new single, from the very little i've heard.

Thanks for taking my eye-rolling sarcasm so well. :wink:

yeah, I was laughing pretty hard :giggle:

I know this may come as a shock, but there are many, many, many people out there who feel the exact same way about Bono and U2. If I would say the same thing about Bono, you would probably take offense to it and fight me tooth and nail to try and change my viewpoint.

So who's right and who's wrong? Really, what you're saying is just an opinion, and nowhere near fact, and the same goes for the Bono-haters out there.

And I hate to harp on the same point over and over, but musical tastes are subjective. No two people hear the same thing and no two people derive the same level of enjoyment from any given song. That being said, in my opinion, I hear nothing of Streets in the Life in Technicolor—Coldplay didn't even use conventional instruments for the track.

I agree music is very subjective...but you can't argue with some things in music. Sure there is such a thing as different interpretations, but how can you say that "Life In Technicolor" isn't a rip of Streets/COBL?!?! Chord progressions, song structure, etc. cannot be argued based on interpretation...it is what it is...

Yes, the Bono/U2 haters can most definitely be compared to the Martin/Coldplay haters, and this can be debated to death. But c'mon, copying lyrics from "Playboy Mansion" ??!! Coldplay is a blatant rip off of U2, and they don't do much to disguise it.

In Life In Technicolor I think its just the way the track is laid structurally - I can definitely hear the influence of streets/COBL in there..not so much in the notes that much but in the structure of the song...I think if they made it a full song with lyrics then we would have more fire power against it.

By the way I started this thread when I got back from a night of boozin', im glad it made it this far, cheers.

yeah, I'm glad you started it too :hi5:

I might be "in the nile", but I really struggle to understand the "Coldplay copying U2" argument. When I hear Coldplay, I hear Coldplay, and I was a hardcore U2 fan long before I became a fan of Coldplay.

I just hear U2 inspired songs executed beautifully and with original twists.

One thing to also consider. Bono 85-90 is similar to modern-day Martin in the sense they always talk about how inspired by other great artists (BB, Dylan, Mitchell) their approach to songwriting was. Bono wasn't necessarily the Dylan devotee he claimed to be, not even knowing any of his songs around 84-85 (as McCormack revealed in the doppelganger book)

"The banks became cathedrals, from the rooftops I remember" - Violet Hill

Good line there Martin!!! Did U2's "Pop" have any influence on you this time around?

:rolleyes:

banks becoming cathedrals - it's a universal concept (if you look a little deeper than just nouns)

jeesus this sh!t is really cracking me up! :lmao: :nerd:

After hearing Coldplay's New album with Eno producing... either Coldplay wants to be U2 or U2 has been simply a puppet of Eno when U2 were at its best...because minus edges delay and bonos voice i really see no difference in sound.

You are so right. I am completely with you ! Glad you said it. It`s not just the songwriting / chord progressions for me it`s also the textures of the synth sounds which are so close to U2`s and for which Brian Eno is known for. You can hear it in his own records and indeed he`s a master of synthesizers, pads... Just remember he was playing keyboards for Roxy Music as a sort of twenty-year-old...!

Read his book/diary " A year with swollen appendices". He actually is developing sounds on a programming level. You can hear it for the first time in U2`s music in "The Unforgettable Fire" which of course was the first U2 Album he produced.

I would say he had and has a great impact on U2`s music... remember the discussions for his songwriting credits for ATYCLB.

cheers,
dr.dae

I agree music is very subjective...but you can't argue with some things in music. Sure there is such a thing as different interpretations, but how can you say that "Life In Technicolor" isn't a rip of Streets/COBL?!?! Chord progressions, song structure, etc. cannot be argued based on interpretation...it is what it is...

Uh...no. Did you even bother to pick up an instrument before writing that? Aside from the fade-in, "Life In Technicolor" and "Where The Streets Have No Name" have virtually nothing in common. They're not even in the same key!

Let's compare intros, shall we? LIT fades in to a synthesiser riff. I have tabbed it out for guitar and included the notes below it:

Code:
e|-12------------------9-----------11-------|
b|-------12---10---------9-----12-----------|
g|----13----------11------------------------|
d|------------------------------------------|
a|------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------|
    E  G# B    A   F# C# G#     B  D#

That repeats a couple of times. Now, some people might argue that this is very similar to Streets, which also features a fade in, some synth, and a repetitive riff. Alas...U2 did not invent this musical idea. It has been around for quite some time. Check out some 70s prog bands, you'll have a blast! Anyway, here is the riff (guitar, not synthesiser) that is repeated in Streets:

Code:
e|-10-----------------------|
b|----10-------------10-----|
g|-------12-11-12p11--------|
d|--------------------------|
a|--------------------------|
E|--------------------------|

D  A  G  F#  G F# A

LIT also features a second riff in its intro before it builds up into the full band section of the song. It goes something like this:

Code:
e|-----------0----------2-2-0-----|
b|---0---2----------0---------0---|
g|-2---2---2---2--2---2-----------|
d|--------------------------------|
a|--------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------|

e|-----------0----------4-4-0-----|
b|---0---2----------0-------------|
g|-2---2---2---2--2---2-----------|
d|--------------------------------|
a|--------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------|

Well, gosh, there's nothing like that in Streets!

Moving on to chord progressions...LIT is written in the key of A. An acoustic guitar starts playing during the second riff. The basic progression followed is this:

A D A
A D A
F#m D A
E A

The chords then change (during the vocal bit) to this progression:

F#m D C#m
F#m D C#m
F#m D A
E

The song then ends on A.

Streets, on the other hand, is written in the key of D. Four chords are played during each verse and chorus of the song:

D G Bm A

And that's it. Streets ends by going back into the intro riff - something that doesn't happen in LIT. There is also no change in progression midway through the song, like there is in LIT.

In summation: different song structures + different keys + different chord progressions = different songs. I don't know how you came up with the idea that LIT was a rip-off of Streets. I haven't compared the song to COBL, but I can guarantee you that I would reach the same conclusion if I did. You're basically grasping at straws here.

Want to see a real musical rip-off?

Tom Petty vs. Red Hot Chili Peppers

Yes indeed Gibson Girl is right from a strict or restricted (sorry, no offense) view of the chord progs. Lets just say they all love the same sort of chord relations...tonic / dominant and playing around with the "sus4" chords. ( dont know if my english makes any sense...) But take a look at the chords relations and the feelings they provoke....even if they`re not exactly in the same progression.
A guitar player knows his instant "the edge/U2" chord, right Gibson Girl ?

:sexywink:

Yes indeed Gibson Girl is right from a strict or restricted (sorry, no offense) view of the chord progs. Lets just say they all love the same sort of chord relations...tonic / dominant and playing around with the "sus4" chords. ( dont know if my english makes any sense...) But take a look at the chords relations and the feelings they provoke....even if they`re not exactly in the same progression.
A guitar player knows his instant "the edge/U2" chord, right Gibson Girl ?

:sexywink:

:banghead:

Jesus Christ. I give up.

I'm surprised you even bothered in the first place.

Yeah. I'm beginning to feel the same way. It's pointless to argue with people who honestly believe that U2 can lay claim to tonic and dominant harmonies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom