If U2 released a record of covers....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I always wanted U2 to do a record of covers. They always did some great ones. They like to say they can’t play other people’s songs but I think that’s bullshit. If they did a cover record this is the tracklist I would like to see and why:

01. Won’t Get Fooled Again
02. All Along The Watchtower
03. Instant Karma
04. What’s Going On
05. Worried About You
06. Maggie’s Farm (with Cold Turkey snippet)
07. Reason To Believe
08. Rock N’ Roll ******
09. I Remember You
10. Rain

01. Won’t Get Fooled Again – Done like they did on the Irving plaza show, maybe with a cool little studio intro. If you listen to that only time U2 played this song you will see that they obviously worked on it. Edge’s solo and Larry’s drums obviously got they busy a little, they are not like the original version. They should have recorded this on the studio and released it as a b-side. It definitely deserves it. My favorite U2 cover.

02. All Along The Watchtower – This is a classic, U2’s version on the Lovetown Tour was simply fantastic, Larry’s drums, Edge’s guitar and solo and Bono’s famous “Three chords and the truth” line all make this a fantastic and perfect choice for a cover song, plus that ending was amazing.

03. Instant Karma – All right, I admit I didn’t even heard U2’s version of this song yet but it’s a great idea. Bono has always been very vocal about how he has been heavily influenced by John Lennon and this is a John Lennon classic. I’m sure they would do this song justice. They could add new things to it, Brian Eno could produce it maybe and help they boys to add some new colors to it, that would be really cool.

04. What’s Going On – The version they played of this song on the Elevation Tour sounded really good, specially the beginning with only Edge’s guitar and Bono’s voice and the chorus with Edge’s backing vocals.

05. Worried About You – This a great little gem from The Rolling Stones. In this song Mick Jagger sings the verses in falsetto and the chorus in his normal voice, in U2’s version Edge could totally do the verses and Bono would do the chorus, it would be perfect and a nice change for the record.

06. Maggie’s Farm – They used to do an amazing version of this song on the Conspiracy Of Hope Tour starting with Adam’s bass and with a snippet of John Lennon’s Instant Karma as the bridge, with Edge on the slide. I still can’t believe they never released a studio version of this song. It was a really haunting and dark version and in my opinion better than Bob Dylan’s version. Unfortunately Bono didn’t used to sing all the lyrics then but he could do so now and maybe he could add a harmonica solo to it.

07. Reason To Believe – U2 could do a more upbeat version of this Bruce Springsteen song. The lyrics sound a little like something Bono would write. A great song about faith. Bono could play the harmonica here too.

08. Rock N’ Roll ****** – People Have The Power would be a more obvious song from Patti Smith that U2 could choose to cover but I think they could do more interesting things with this one. It would be interesting for sure.

09. I Remember You – They did a part of this song a few times on The Elevation tour, a very different version to the original. This time on the studio instead of just Edge’s guitar maybe they could use an organ and do an even more different version. A very calm and beautiful version. It would sound good I think.

10. Rain – This I think is my second favorite U2 cover. They’ve been doing this one for years now and all the versions I heard sound great. Starting with just Bono singing and playing guitar and then Larry and the rest joining on the chorus. And that solo Edge does is classic Edge and I really like it. It would end the record really well, in an upbeat and fun way. I really wish I had a studio version of this.

So what do you think? What are the songs you would like U2 to cover?

I think that would be a good list for the most part, I'd have (in no particular order)

Instant Karma - I've only heard amazing things about their covers of this song, and by my reasoning: John Lennon kicks ass, and U2 kicks ass, so a cover would kick twice as much ass as usual, it's a win-win.

Unchained Melody - I've always loved how they've done this after One and as the b-side to All I Want is You. They definitely have nailed down this song.

Rain - I have one PopMart version of this song that I can't get enough of, tis extremely awesome

Won't Get Fooled Again - Irving Plaza, 'nuff said :wink:

What's Going On - If they can do this with Chris Martin and still sound good, that's pretty amazing. Love this song

Sweet Caroline - Bono has said he's been a Neil Diamond fan for a while. The song even has a similar lyric to 'A Man and a Woman'

The Promised Land - Bono's voice sounded sublime when this was snippeted at the RaRHoF Induction, I could see him playing harmonica and playin' this whole song to perfection

All Along the Watchtower - If you've heard the LoveTown version of this song, you'd know exactly why it would be here. Orgasm of the ears folks

Night and Day - The single greatest cover U2 has ever done. This band has the amazing capability to take a song and make it fit their style and flow, and this is a perfect example of that. :rockon::drool::yes::up::heart::love:

Beat on the Brat - There's a cover floating around that of the classic Ramones song that sounds pretty good, I'd really enjoy this.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Sounded great at Live 8, it would be a great ode to the Beatles and seems like something relevant to their work as well.

Last edited:
Hola amigos

1- Helter Skelter
2- Won´t Get Fooled Again
3- All Along The Watchtower
4- Satellite Of Love
5- Dancing Barefoot
6- Everlasting Love
7- Happiness Is A Warm Gun
8- Night And Day
9- People Get Ready
10-Redemption Song
11-Can´t Help Falling In Love
12-I Shall Be Release (with guests as Peter Gabriel, Sting, Lou Reed, etc :drool: )

Peace :wave:

what about 'help' - listen to that accepella at Dublin '93 . and 'dreaming with tears in my eyes' is beautiful

While I think a cd of covers would be interesting, I'm not sure it's a great idea at this point. I think the last "big" band to do a covers collection in the hight of their career was Guns 'N Roses. They kind of fell apart after that...

LemonMacPhisto said:
The Promised Land - Bono's voice sounded sublime when this was snippeted at the RaRHoF Induction, I could see him playing harmonica and playin' this whole song to perfection
Initially that's the Bruce Springsteen song I had in my list that I would like them to cover but I don't think there's much that they can do whit it. I don't think they would find many ways to reinvent it. That's why I change it for Reason To Believe. But still it would be amazing to see them playing this song. :drool:

angelordevil said:
While I think a cd of covers would be interesting, I'm not sure it's a great idea at this point. I think the last "big" band to do a covers collection in the hight of their career was Guns 'N Roses. They kind of fell apart after that...

Weren't they also druggies and pissed off at each other all of the time?

That might've done it

I have decided that I would be a very, very happy person if U2 ever did Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" :drool: :heart:. That would be absolutely beautiful, I think. They have to do that song someday.

This is a good idea for discussion here...I'll have to think about a few other songs I'd love to hear them do. I certainly don't disagree with a great deal of what all's been mentioned in here so far, though :).

Angela

A covers album would be an awesome idea for like a fan club freebie or such (instead of, say, a crappy collection of previously released live tracks).

I like the idea of doing "Reason To Believe." I'd much rather hear the band do "People Have the Power" than "Rock 'N' Roll ******," though.

Did they ever cover Creep? Because I was searching U2 tracks on iMesh and it came up with U2 - Creep .

I'd liek to see them do Don't You Forget About Me. I was so convinced that was a U2 song when I first heard it.

Dancing Barefoot is one of my favourite covers I've ever heard by U2. I've never heard the original by Patti Smith so I haven't got anything to compare it to. But if they ever were to do an album of covers they definately should include this.
Another favourite Everlasting Love. U2 version is much better than the original!:drool:

COBL_04 said:
Did they ever cover Creep? Because I was searching U2 tracks on iMesh and it came up with U2 - Creep.
forgot who the band was, but it's not U2. download it and listen to the guy speaking at the end, certainly not bono :wink:

I think U2 could do some really interesting things with two Joy Division tracks: Digital and Interzone. Those are probably the two most U2-ish tracks by Joy Division (even though they aren't really U2-ish), and they both have a vocal that suits Bono more than the usual Joy Division vocal.

I'd dig something like this:

1.Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime
2.The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star
3.Depeche Mode - Everything Counts
4.New Radicals - You Only Get What You Give
5.Sting - If I Ever Loose My Faith In You
6.The Police - Every Breath You Take
7.Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
8.Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps(Edge on Lead Vocals)
9.Cole Porter - Night And Day
10.Radiohead - Exit Music
11.Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
12.Led Zeppelin - Friends
13.Velvet Underground - Satellite Of Love
14.Various - Everlasting Love
15.Patti Smith - Dancing Barefoot
16.Doors - Riders On The Storm
17.The Who - Behind Blue Eyes
18.Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody
19.Kraftwork - Neon Lights
20.Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love

Cover versions can be cool and I actually like what U2 did for R&H and Achtung Baby - putting a couple of covers as b-sides.

But I agree a whole album could be a bad thing (fir credibility) unless it's a freebie to their next "best-of" set or as a fan club thing. Anyhow, these are some songs I reckon could work well for U2.

Blank Frank - Brian Eno
Fascination Street - The Cure
Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen
All Tomorrow's Parties - Velvet Underground
Parting Ways - Pearl Jam
Mandela Day - Simple Minds
Houses in Motion - Talking Heads
Here Comes the Flood - Peter Gabriel
There Is a Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
To Live's to Fly - Townes Van Zandt
Losing My Religion - REM
God - John Lennon / God Part II - U2 (medley)
House of the Rising Sun - The Animals
Southern Man - Neil Young
Stand By Me - Ben E King
Redemption Song - Bob Marley

(The last 3 have already been done live and worked IMHO)

Back
Top Bottom