If I could have my two cents...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goincommando

The Fly
I would put to rest all of this "New album to complete the trilogy" talk, I mean for god's sake this isn't Star Wars people. When has U2 ever been a band to try and make albums similar, sounding at least?

My opinion? The ATYCLB "comeback" was as simple as that, a comback, it was a pawn in U2's super evil genius plan to bring back fans that were shyed away by Pop's initial bashing reviews. HTDAAB was the next step as to put reassuring thoughts into the minds of all those that thought ATYCLB was a flash in the pan, a "Yeah that's right we can one up ourselves still," if you will.

This is where the next album comes into play. We've already heard hints of the new sound and direction of the new album with songs like Fast Cars and Mercy. My overall opinion, is that the last two albums were merely steps to bring back any fans that lost interest in the band after Pop. With this audience firmly back, I'm expecting not only one of their most critically and commercially accepted albums, but their most creative and experimental yet.

U2 should try and stray from traditional album values (i.e. the catchy hit single, the hard rocking hit single, the wave your lighters in the air ballad single, the sort of experimental album track, the political track, the God track...etc.). U2 has to move away from the limelight, relocate somewhere seclusive, soak in the isolation, be alone with just their music, jam, and see what happens. And then release it. With no advertising agenda.

goincommando - interesting points.....Fast cars and Mercy provide us all some hope of interesting/non-conventional songs to look forward to. But just remember, those 2 songs were written back in late 2003/early2004 for the late 2004 release. By the time they write and record for the next album, it will be 2007. That's 3 years in between where their thoughts might change and take them down different routes. So, who knows for sure what it will sound like.

Ozeeko - that's what U2 did (soak up some different culture) for AB in Berlin and Pop in Miami - and it produced some amazing albums and songs. I hope you are right.

Perhaps they will spend some time in New Orleans, or the tsunami ravaged countries for some different culture and inspiration.

Or, maybe, U2 actually enjoy writing more traditional songs right now? I'm not sure if I buy into this popular theory that everything they do is pure calculation. It is entirely possible that they are indeed excited by the music they are making right now, as much as some of us fans (myself included) hope for something a bit more 'cutting edge' or 'experimental'. What we all forget is ATYCLB, for example, was a complete departure for U2. If they had come out with another Achtung Baby type album, say, wouldn't that have been just as much a step back?

Michael Griffiths said:
Or, maybe, U2 actually enjoy writing more traditional songs right now? I'm not sure if I buy into this popular theory that everything they do is pure calculation. It is entirely possible that they are indeed excited by the music they are making right now, as much as some of us fans (myself included) hope for something a bit more 'cutting edge' or 'experimental'. What we all forget is ATYCLB, for example, was a complete departure for U2. If they had come out with another Achtung Baby type album, say, wouldn't that have been just as much a step back?

This is a board where "creative" is generally defined as sonic treatments and non-traditional instrumentation.

Songwriting tends to wind up in last place here.

Seriously, I've been told songwriting isn't really creative, cause any band can do it. :|

That blows my mind. Because songwriting is the creative expression.

U2 simply writing and recording songs is very creative.

Michael Griffiths said:
Or, maybe, U2 actually enjoy writing more traditional songs right now? I'm not sure if I buy into this popular theory that everything they do is pure calculation.

I agree that the commercial calculation theory is not sound. Bottom line is that U2 had an artistic agenda for their last two albums where they believed expert conventional songwriting was the best creative way to facillitate that artistry.

Well I don't think U2 are evil and cold calcualtors who just wanted to brig fans back... I mean, that could be part of it, bu on the other hand they wanted to pull THEMSELVES together again, PopMart had so much technology and BIG stuff, if you know what I mean: the wardrobe, the stage and of course the music as well that inspired all of that. That's kinda what happened afther RAH, they ahd expanded the band and pulled it back together again with AB - According to Bono, they had a lot of more fun in the Elevation Tour than in PopMart, probably becuase of that: more band interaction.

In addition to this, is there any other U2 album that sounds like Bomb? I mean, there's no other U2 song similar to Vertigo... and ATYCLB is also unique... I know that we are all used to experiments with U2, but every time they try to make an album they have different results, even if they wanted to point always to one particular style of music, you know :shrug:

"Yes. Listening to it made me want to rerecord everything. If you get it right, the song just sounds better. If you get it wrong, it makes the song sound different in a really bad way. Ten per cent of working in the studio is inspiration; 90% is a very analytical, painstaking process for us.

That's Edge.

Yet if someone else typed that, they be thrown under the bus.

Wake up.

goincommando said:
I would put to rest all of this "New album to complete the trilogy" talk, I mean for god's sake this isn't Star Wars people. When has U2 ever been a band to try and make albums similar, sounding at least?

My opinion? The ATYCLB "comeback" was as simple as that, a comback, it was a pawn in U2's super evil genius plan to bring back fans that were shyed away by Pop's initial bashing reviews. HTDAAB was the next step as to put reassuring thoughts into the minds of all those that thought ATYCLB was a flash in the pan, a "Yeah that's right we can one up ourselves still," if you will.

This is where the next album comes into play. We've already heard hints of the new sound and direction of the new album with songs like Fast Cars and Mercy. My overall opinion, is that the last two albums were merely steps to bring back any fans that lost interest in the band after Pop. With this audience firmly back, I'm expecting not only one of their most critically and commercially accepted albums, but their most creative and experimental yet.

Hmmm....

When "Pop" was first released, it received some of the best reviews of U2's career! Yes, better than JT and better than AB! So none of this "initial bashing reviews" bit is true. "Pop" only received backlash after it failed to become a super-seller (Platinum was NOT good enough for a U2 album) and the tour wasn't sold-out everywhere (despite being a stadium only tour and attracting U2's largest audience to date).

After nearly a decade of experimentation, U2 did pull back and experiment with their own sound - namely what makes U2 sound like U2. I appreciated this approach, as clearly did fans around the world, as U2 had their best selling album since AB. However, ATYCLB was hardly considered a "flash in the pan" by anyone. JT, the "Best Of" releases and even AB would frequently appear on the catalog charts (the 80's "Best Of" never really left) during ATYCLB's release and tour.

HTDAAB did build on ATYCLB, the way JT built on UF, IMO. The songs were better, tighter and, this time, more experimental (I've always felt JT was a rather "safe" album). And this is where I agree with you - the more experimental tracks on HTDAAB will probably be areas in U2's future. I can foresee U2 writing another album along the lines of ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but with a lot more of this experimental edge. Note that in each "trilogy", this has occurred. But also note, often this experimental facet drops fans and sales. While JT boomed compared to UF, by R&H, sales dropped dramatically (even though R&H sold very well). AB was a monstrous success, but by "Pop", sales had plummeted. ATYCLB was another monstrous success, but already there is a slight drop with HTDAAB and it could drop far more significantly again. So be careful for what you wish - U2 may indeed release the more experimental album you desire, but will be dismissed by critics and fans. If you only care about you and how you would enjoy such an album, then I guess that's the selfish way of looking at things. ;)

I'd just like to see U2 do an album this time around. Even Bono mentioned, during the Rolling Stone interview, that HTDAAB was a great collection of songs, but it was not more than the sum of its parts, and it annoys the shit out of him.

I tend to agree and hope they refocus their efforts this time around.

Canadiens1160 said:
I'd just like to see U2 do an album this time around. Even Bono mentioned, during the Rolling Stone interview, that HTDAAB was a great collection of songs, but it was not more than the sum of its parts, and it annoys the shit out of him.

I tend to agree and hope they refocus their efforts this time around.

I would agree also, even though I am a fan of HTDAAB - pretty good criticism that.

Back
Top Bottom