I wrote to Bono reporting the latest news... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2002, 11:22 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
Not to burst any bubbles... *POP* but unless Bono is vacationing in a cave, I'm sure he's well aware that Brasil (Brazil) won the World Cup title. As such, I highly doubt this message will be forwarded.
Exactly what I was thinking too. Also, I don't want to seem cynical, but I doubt it means as much to Bono as you think. After all he does this everywhere he goes. When he was in Philadelphia last year, he told us he was for the Sixers (NBA) and they were going to win because U2 were our good luck charm! They did win one night after U2 played there during the Championship series. I really think it's just a way of relating to the local crowd on a personal basis. I don't mean he's not sincere, but I just think he's being nice. He has said things like that to lots of fans of lots of sports in lots of places. It's part of the act. I don't think he's much of a sports fan. Growing up, he didn't like soccer and he and Guggi used to make fun of the uniforms and leg motions of the kids on their street who played it. I've heard Larry is a big soccer fan, but I believe when the band wishes a team well they are only being kind to the locals, not that that's a bad thing. I just don't think it 's a big thing for them. Even if the Sixers had won the title I wouldn't have written him a letter and expected it to be given to him. I just took his statement as a kind gesture, and a grain of salt.

Just the same, as a sports fan I know how much a championship means to the fans to enjoy yours!

Old 07-03-2002, 11:24 AM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 10:49 AM
Quote:
Not to burst any bubbles... *POP* but unless Bono is vacationing in a cave, I'm sure he's well aware that Brasil (Brazil) won the World Cup title. As such, I highly doubt this message will be forwarded.
doctor,

Maybe you didn´t read my 3rd post, I explained my main intention already. Despite all the insignificance one may find in my message I think Cecilia might forward it to him. It will do no harm, because he loves football. And so do the others. He would get it, I´m confident.

But you can think this way...*follower is a hopeless case*...like some have already said. Fine.

Old 07-03-2002, 11:38 AM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabby
When he was in Philadelphia last year, he told us he was for the Sixers (NBA) and they were going to win because U2 were our good luck charm! They did win one night after U2 played there during the Championship series. I really think it's just a way of relating to the local crowd on a personal basis. I don't mean he's not sincere, but I just think he's being nice. He has said things like that to lots of fans of lots of sports in lots of places.
Sure, he´s so nice ...but I have a question...have he and the boys ever played basketball there in Philadelphia? Have they ever asked people to actually arrange things for them to play it? Or any other sport? In any other place? That´s what happened in Brasil, both times they visited us. I think it might mean something for them as well.

Okay, I asked 4 questions actually.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:58 AM   #24
Refugee

I really don't know. But he did throw out the ball during the halftime show! With their short stature they really couldn't play basketball anyway There has been a lot of such things over the years. I just think this type of thing is more publicity and act than anything. They also have said they liked the Boston Celtics (Irish theme). They posed smiling with Patriots and Rams jerseys at the Super Bowl and took some pics playing ball and mentioned the names of some of the quarterbacks as in would they like to play. Edge wore a Dolphins Jersey and other sports jerseys, they had an Arizona Diamondback onstage in Phoenix with the championship trophy, they had the NYPD on stage, well again I hate to sound cynical but I just believe most of this stuff is arranged for show and publicity and it goes over well with the local crowds. I'm not doubting their sincerity just how deep their feelings really are for these things, and I don't believe any one is really more special to them than the others. If their heart is anywhere, it's with the Irish team, but even then Larry seems to be the only real fan. At the preshow thing in LA that was filmed last year, Bono was there, and Larry was supposed to be but hadn't shown. He explained Larry couldn't tear himself away from the TV because Ireland was playing soccer. It didn't mean so much to Bono or he'd have stayed too instead of clowning around with the film crew. As a sports fan, I know if your team is playing you are too emotionally worked up and intense to do anything else. if any member of the band wanted to play it was Larry. But oh well, it's a reason to try to get through to him. It might draw more attention than just 'hi I think you're hot and love all your songs' or something.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:07 PM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabby

I don't think he's much of a sports fan. Growing up, he didn't like soccer and he and Guggi used to make fun of the uniforms and leg motions of the kids on their street who played it.

After watching Bono sporting habilities, I think it was easier for him to mock the kids on the street, than show how sissy he looked doing it
Old 07-03-2002, 02:57 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:49 PM
First....**cass hugs follower** We won!!!!!! (we all won, we all one)

Second...I'm sure bono is aware who won the World Cup. That is not the intention of follower's letter imho.

Third ...**cheers Cecelia. I have not encountered cecelia, but I think it's cool our local music academy is named after her, Sister Cecelias

Fourth.......those pics follower I mainly know U2 throught their albums. i don't know much of the live performance history. it is great to see the pics and hear the stories. Thanks

Fifth...**cass hugs follower again**

On holidays eh? I'm off to Yamba shortly. Might check out the Pacific Hotel...there was a rumour..........hang on, there is always a rumour I'll do some whale watching instead. The winter migration has begun and the increase in numbers as well as the increase in pod size is very pleasing and encouraging....not quite as good as Bono in football shorts, but a magnificent sight to behold none the less.

** cass sets off looking for that new leaf she's meant to be turning over**

It's a good thing you have done teresa....peace
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2002, 04:30 PM   #27
Refugee

First, cass...you have a special place in my heart. And you know that, don´t you?

Second, I wasn´t born yesterday. I know they, and especially Bono, usually are nice and try to connect with their audiences, trying to say and do the right thing to please people. I didn´t mean to cause any fuzz when I opened this thread and posted both my letter and Cecilia´s response. I was just proud and surprised at the same time...proud of again having been asked to speak in the name of Brazilian fans and surprised by Cecilia´s response. I know she usually answers "Will pass it on"...and nothing more than that. This time around she was more, lets say, warm as a friend pointed me out, she used exactly 12 words, 8 more than her trademark, LOL...Maybe because,
being Larry´s beloved sister, she´s a football fan as well, LOL

Anyways, Bono really said what I mentioned...in good Portuguese, two complete sentences. If you have the Popmart São Paulo bootleg you can hear him, right before Staring at the Sun saying "Posso pedir um favor pra vocês? Ganhem a Copa do Mundo pra Irlanda!". Then he translated what he said to Edge..."I just asked Brasil to win the World Cup for Ireland" and then they laughed and Bono shouted "Irlanda, Irlanda". The crowd went nuts, really cool.

Of course only Bono and the boys could really say if they love football or not, although I´m pretty sure they really enjoyed playing it in Brasil. A few days before that last Popmart concert they had some fun playing a football match to celebrate Romário´s birthday. When they returned in 2000 they asked people to arrange another match, and that´s what happened.

We´ll see what happens next. I´ll report any response I possibly receive.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:23 PM   #28
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?

I have no doubt he said that, the question is does he remember? They say so much in so many concerts. We fans grab onto little lines like that and hold them dear in our hearts. They are very dear to us. I have things like that too. But the band and the busy lives they lead and the big world they live in mostly don't recall all the things they said like we do.

Catchy title like you said so you never know. And don't be offended they didn't come back to Brazil, it's not his fault. There are so many people and issues involved. I'm sure they'd like to go everywhere if they could.

She's Larry's sister eh? Well now, maybe she can get a message to Larry Bear for me!

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 07-03-2002, 05:35 PM   #29
Refugee

Thanks Desire4Bono...no offense at all.

Btw, just changed my sig. No more flag waving. For now.

Old 07-03-2002, 09:26 PM   #30
War Child

Local Time: 01:49 PM

Guys lighten up it's a joke, no one here is dumb. Yeah the band knows Brasil won, the whole world does, well except in certain parts of the U.S. cause you know soccer isn't "commercially viable" there. Yeah Bono probably don't remember what he said in the concert. The point is that he went through a lot of trouble to say it in the concert (translation and everything) as a complete joke, and to finish the joke we're simply dropping him a notice saying "we won *wink wink* will you come visit now?" It's joke, ah ah, laugh, damn you all seriously lack a sense of humor at times.

edit spell errors
Old 07-03-2002, 09:26 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by follower

doctor,

Maybe you didn´t read my 3rd post, I explained my main intention already. Despite all the insignificance one may find in my message I think Cecilia might forward it to him. It will do no harm, because he loves football. And so do the others. He would get it, I´m confident.

But you can think this way...*follower is a hopeless case*...like some have already said. Fine.
Now...now...

I don't think you are "hopeless"... and I do consider Brazil's victory important. But can you imagine Cecilia dropping off a note that says, "Bono: A U2 fan wants you to know that Brazil won the World Cup."?
Old 07-03-2002, 09:37 PM   #32
Refugee

Quote:

Now...now...

I don't think you are "hopeless"... and I do consider Brazil's victory important. But can you imagine Cecilia dropping off a note that says, "Bono: A U2 fan wants you to know that Brazil won the World Cup."?
To be sincere doctor, yes, I can. Anyways, and as I said before, we´ll see.

Old 07-04-2002, 12:26 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

oh dear...no!!!!!
Point 2 of my list was for people who didn't see your point

hmmm I can see me only making this worse ...which is never my intention
Old 07-04-2002, 06:12 AM   #34
Acrobat

absolutely not hopeless, wonderful really. I'm so pleased for you about Brazil - so why not share that joy with Bono !!

Pamela
Old 07-04-2002, 06:25 AM   #35
Refugee

wink

Yup, he definitely needs a new one...that yellow jersey, that is

Am I buggin you?
Old 07-04-2002, 08:56 AM   #36
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Local Time: 09:49 AM
I just finished reading all three pages of this thread and I have to say that a few of you really lack a lot of respect. follower is one of the nicest people on this board and just wanted to share a little something with us all and some of you extremely sarcastic people couldn't just let it be, you had to mock her and put your two cents in. Maybe your just jealous at the possibility that Bono could possibly respond to follower's message. I certainly hope that he does.
follower, I am not from Brasil and have never even been there, though want to soooo badly some day. However, I can even see that it is clear Bono holds something special in his heart for that country. I hope your message gets through. Thx for sharing and dear, you are NOT a hopeless case. If that be true, add Rosa and me to the club then.

(((hugs)))
Old 07-04-2002, 11:24 AM   #37
Refugee

Quote:

Now...now...

Ok, let me get this right, next time any of us want to write/send/report/ anything by any medium to Bono, or at least give a try, should we ask Dr.Who if he considers it proper?

Follower is one of the more peacefull classy interferencers, and I don't see the point in being cynical.
Old 07-04-2002, 12:06 PM   #38
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel
I just finished reading all three pages of this thread and I have to say that a few of you really lack a lot of respect. follower is one of the nicest people on this board and just wanted to share a little something with us all and some of you extremely sarcastic people couldn't just let it be, you had to mock her and put your two cents in.
(((hugs)))
My thoughts exactly. If you don't want to burst someone's bubble, then don't. Be cynical and skeptical all you want but keep it to yourself. Why is it that we always need to be reminded that Bono doesn't remember what he says or that our emails don't get forwarded to him? I for one like to keep just a glimmer of hope that maybe he does like to stay connected with his fans.

And of course Bono knows who won the world cup but why make follower feel bad for having some fun?
Old 07-04-2002, 01:05 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:49 PM
BRASIL RULES THE WORLD

AcrobatMan
atleast in football

Germany with Kahn isnt that bad either
Old 07-04-2002, 03:36 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

AAAAH! U2 fans are so annoying! I am convinced that U2 fans are the worst part about U2. Just forget I said anything.