I hate Yahweh... who's with me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Next thing you know, there will be "I hate Streets" and "I hate One" threads ... thoroughly absurd ...

Axver said:
Next thing you know, there will be "I hate Streets" and "I hate One" threads ... thoroughly absurd ...

Thats a bit melodramatic don't you think.

"Yahweh" isn't remotely in the same league as two of the most monolithically brilliant U2 songs ever written.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Thats a bit melodramatic don't you think.

"Yahweh" isn't remotely in the same league as two of the most monolithically brilliant U2 songs ever written.

Just commenting on the negative state of the board. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened sooner or later. We already have people hoping Streets is cut from the setlist. :huh:

And I did expect Yahweh to be more universally embraced as I find it to be reminiscient of Gloria.

Well, there is an excessive amount of negativity, which is obviously down to a group of megatrolls, so I don't pay it too much attention.. as for the song, it could have been amazing, but I just feel its trying too hard to go back to The Joshua Tree, its the one song of the 2000-era U2 that is a genuine retread in my view.

God Part III said:
I love the term "U2" on autopilot

i love this term as well, and i think it defines COBL in perfection.

Regarding Yahweh, after almost 3 months listening to the album, i am starting to believe it's the best song on the album.

James U2 said:
i don't care for it. i put it and "one step closer" as the two weakest tracks on the record. it's not necessarily bad, just nothing special... in my opinion.
james

one step closer is metal babayyy:rockon:

It took me about 20 listens to Yahweh, and then something in my head went "oh my God this is fuckin' amazing". The whole buildup to the ohhhh-eeee-ohhh-eeee-ohh and Edge's guitar doing the doo-doooo-doo-dooo-dooooooooo thing before the final chorus, I love it, just can't get enough of it. Original of the Species and Yahweh are joined at the hip in my playlists now, they seem to fit together.

Yahweh is a very strong song. I'd say the album version is a bit week. But I also think the album verson of Streets is weak too. After we hear this song live, I think only then will we be able to atest to its full greatness.

Yahweh is solid. Nothing more, nothing less in the context of the entire U2 catalogue.

I think I would prefer One Step Closer as the last song.

Axver said:

Just commenting on the negative state of the board. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened sooner or later. We already have people hoping Streets is cut from the setlist. :huh:

And I did expect Yahweh to be more universally embraced as I find it to be reminiscient of Gloria.

I can't even laugh on this one. :|
WTSHNN is the 2nd best song of all time to me. U2 or non-U2. But I'm also not sure if I'd rather see that one or some other song on the tour. And it will be my first ever U2 concert.

Btw, Gloria is better than Yahweh. I think Yahweh is boring. Now you have a "proper reason".
And if someone likes alternative version 10x better, does he really like the original? Aren't we in the end all the same, just one part says "It's not very good, don't like it really" and the other "I love the song, bla bla..." !?
I sure don't hate any U2 song. I just say the first thing. :|

Yahweh for me doesnt have the "kwan" as Streets,Wowy, One ... have, so the rest of the HTDAAB doesn't, but Yahweh has kwan the least!!

Pero said:
Yahweh for me doesnt have the "kwan" as Streets,Wowy, One ... have, so the rest of the HTDAAB doesn't, but Yahweh has kwan the least!!

Kwan? :eyebrow:

Party Boy said:
I love Yahweh - its sounds like a mature U2 coming out of a ten mile long dark tunnel with renewed faith and joy.

It was the one song on the album that hit me last - at first i didnt appreciate at all. Now its the one I listen to most.

Yes!

ponkine said:
The songs I most dislike are 'Sometimes You Can´t Make it', 'Original Of The Species', ' A man And A Woman' and 'One Step Closer'. :ohmy:

:rolleyes: quelle surprise.

Pero said:
Yahweh isn't close to Streets or One or Wowy!!
So don't even try to compare them
*shrieks* THAT'S A MATTER OF OPINION.... so have you considered not behaving as if it were a fact? No-one appreciates being dictated to.

honestly, what's the bloody point in attempting to be rational? I give up!

PS. Just out of interest... what the hell is 'kwan'? Please enlighten us...

Last edited:
Wow. Yahweh has got to be one of the most passionately debated songs in this forum, ever. I lost count on how many Yahweh threads there were.

I think this is one of those songs that we should all agree to disagree about. Most people seem to love it or hate it, with a minority in the middle. And some people feel so strongly one way or the other that it seems for some, that it's one of the best U2 songs ever (I'm in that category), and others feel it's one of their worst.

Maybe the question should have been -- "I feel very strongly about Yahweh...who's with me?"

I don't feel strongly for it - I just don't care for it. It's just weak in every way, and that line "U2 on autopilot" is so true. The lyrics are a low, the music sounds like it should be the instrumental backing soundtrack to a U2 documentary. It's the only track off the album that I didn't copy onto my iPod.

Mark Freedman said:
Wow. Yahweh has got to be one of the most passionately debated songs in this forum, ever. I lost count on how many Yahweh threads there were.

I think this is one of those songs that we should all agree to disagree about. Most people seem to love it or hate it, with a minority in the middle. And some people feel so strongly one way or the other that it seems for some, that it's one of the best U2 songs ever (I'm in that category), and others feel it's one of their worst.

Maybe the question should have been -- "I feel very strongly about Yahweh...who's with me?"

I'm afraid to say - obviously my age showing again :( - that this is one of the most sensible posts I've read tonight. It's brought me back to being sensible (no easy task! :) )

You are right. If a song touches you, then that's all that matters... we will all react differently, because of our individuality.

I'm sure there's a much more articulate way of expressing that, but I'm too shattered to look for it right now.

Cheers.

since i posted a few days ago on this thread, I went back and listened to Yahweh again... And I really love it - listen to it and you can hear a joy in the song. I just cant understand how people can not like this song! (of course, opinions etc are accepted) but to me, this song represents U2 to a tee. If I was asked which song would best describe U2 from there whole catalog, Yahweh would be my answer.

Btw, I hate Streets. Most overrated U2 song ever. ;-)

I worry about U2 fans who cant appreciate a song like Yahweh.

I just feel so sad for these people.

I agree with this. Moreso with the worrying part than the feeling sad for part. I worry for their ears, b/c they must not be hearing the same sounds mine are. Yahweh is a great song, IMO, and I'll be thrilled to hear it live.

'Yahweh, Yahweh/ Always pain before a child is born"

"A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world."
-John 16:21

Well, with a title like "Yahweh". . .

Guess this was the tricky part about picking the title. Gloria and Grace, they're not as obvious, they can be the name for a girl, but Yahweh, only has one meaning.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE 'YAHWEH'.......
IMO......an outstanding closer
it is a special, special song

Back
Top Bottom