How to rediscover the atomic bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also listen to it all the time, I think it's their 3rd Best, AB and JT obviously ahead, but the reason I think it doesn't compare to those is because it's not placed in a good order, it doesn't flow well like the other two but it's parts are brilliant (except Fast Cars definitely should have been included on every release of it)

Layton said:

Blah, that's too obvious of a position. Face it, some opinions/tastes are better/more objective than others. That's why experts exist.

There's such a thing as a subjectitity to objectivity ratio. You can't tell me all people have the exact same ratio. So, clearly some people have more objectivity to their tastes than others.

Who are the experts to tell me if this or that music is good or bad?
Baby, you're completly wrong!
Yes, expets are needed. One thing is to say what is better or worse by the point of lyrics, musical composition, production, mixing, the concept of an album or even the cultural impact in it. Another thing is your personal taste and if something sounds good to you or not, or if you really enjoy that stupid bubblegum pop-song of if that masterpiece of rock enerves you...

HTDAAB is a great album... for me the best one. Not even gona tell again why in this forum:wink:

I haven't had to rediscover Bomb becaues I haven't been able to put it down since the day I bought it. The only thing I don't like about HTDAAB is the idiotic tracklisting. There are lots of better alternatives, but this one works best for me:

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
City of Blinding Lights
Crumbs From Your Table
Miracle Drug
One Step Closer
Original of the Species
All Because of YOu
Vertigo
Love and Peace Or Else
A Man and A Woman
Yahweh

I guess I haven't listened to the album in about a week becuase I have been on a U2 listening craze over the last few months. They are taking a couple weeks off to make room for my rediscovery of Bruce Spingsteen's The Rising. However, when I need Bomb back it'll be there. :up: Bomb is probably my most listened to album ever. Fantastic, completely deserved album of the year.

Aygo said:

Yes, expets are needed. One thing is to say what is better or worse by the point of lyrics, musical composition, production, mixing, the concept of an album or even the cultural impact in it. Another thing is your personal taste and if something sounds good to you or not, or if you really enjoy that stupid bubblegum pop-song of if that masterpiece of rock enerves you...

HTDAAB is a great album... for me the best one. Not even gona tell again why in this forum:wink:

Exactly Aygo:wink:

Mark Freedman said:

Trying to convince someone that your opinion is better than their opinion is just egotistic ignorance, and arrogant as all hell. It's an opinion, that's all.

What about all the good people who have been convinced that their opinion was ill-informed? You can't tell me that no subjectively deduced opinion has not ever been changed due to persuasion. It's called seeing the world beyond the prism of yourself and some people do that better than others.

Put it this way. What's the difference between Matchbox Twenty and Sigur Ros? Who's better? I'm sure you'll say neither is better because it's all subjective and then we can all hold hands and pretend that we love each other.

The person who has taken the time and effort to fully relate to the 2 groups will have a much better 'taste' for the 2 than the ones who spout off without having really efforted to relate to the one they dislike.

On a side note, don't worry about offending me. If we weren't offending each other, we wouldn't be having an intelligent discussion----lol. I'm glad to have brought out the fire of your exposed nerve. Now, we're buddies for the rest of our Interference life.

Aygo said:

Havn't you ever been turned on to some sort of art from the taste of another? Hasn't somebody else's opinion of something made you stop and think 'I get it, now'? If not, that's very sad.

Experts can be anybody who really relate to whoever or whatever it is they're analyzing. Your neighbor might truly relate to Radiohead and Coldplay. If that's really the case, then they become an expert on the 2 when comparing and contrasting the effectiveness of their work.

Objective minds will realize this expertise and hopefully learn something from your neighbor. Of course, some will think that they are experts, also and choose to argue with your neighbor and that's when the real fun starts----lol.

Layton said:

What about all the good people who have been convinced that their opinion was ill-informed? You can't tell me that no subjectively deduced opinion has not ever been changed due to persuasion. It's called seeing the world beyond the prism of yourself and some people do that better than others.

Put it this way. What's the difference between Matchbox Twenty and Sigur Ros? Who's better? I'm sure you'll say neither is better because it's all subjective and then we can all hold hands and pretend that we love each other.

The person who has taken the time and effort to fully relate to the 2 groups will have a much better 'taste' for the 2 than the ones who spout off without having really efforted to relate to the one they dislike.

On a side note, don't worry about offending me. If we weren't offending each other, we wouldn't be having an intelligent discussion----lol. I'm glad to have brought out the fire of your exposed nerve. Now, we're buddies for the rest of our Interference life.

It could be that the problem is in our labeling of terms. Sure, someone's opinion can change in light of new info. Maybe a lack of familiarity with a certain kind of music is colored by the introduction of that type of music by someone else, leading to a new appreciation. For example, I never enjoyed jazzy, bluesy music, until I discovered Rachael Yamagata, who I think is amazing. Of course, she's on the border of being radio friendly, so maybe that helps to ease me into appreciating that type of music.

My main point is that opinions aren't right or wrong. They are colored by one's life experience. That's why they change as they grow. They are exposed to more variety, exposed to new emotions, exposed to new experiences. Our opinions get shaped by all of this. I'm sure you know all of this. But these new opinions don't make the former opinions invalid.

I can appreciate what you may label "mature" music. But it doesn't stop me from liking anything from the corniest music I listened to as a kid through to classical music and some of everything else.

Perhaps try thinking of what you consider "wrong" opinions as "guity pleasures"? I know that doesn't cover all types of opinions, but you get my point.

Layton said:

Havn't you ever been turned on to some sort of art from the taste of another? Hasn't somebody else's opinion of something made you stop and think 'I get it, now'? If not, that's very sad.

Experts can be anybody who really relate to whoever or whatever it is they're analyzing. Your neighbor might truly relate to Radiohead and Coldplay. If that's really the case, then they become an expert on the 2 when comparing and contrasting the effectiveness of their work.

Objective minds will realize this expertise and hopefully learn something from your neighbor. Of course, some will think that they are experts, also and choose to argue with your neighbor and that's when the real fun starts----lol.

That's not what I was pointing. It's not a question of being influenced or not by others' opinion (experts, friends, critcs...). I admit that it is possible, and perhaps it has happened a few times. But I'm really not very influenciable. Please, don't take it as if I was making myself supperior (I don't want that), but I work in a way in which behaviour makes pressure to vreate your own opinion, make your own mind, and abstract yourself from the others' opinions, even if it's experts or critics opinions. That's what happens with me, but I admit that it can happen. However, I still think that nobody's nobody to say if what I like is good or not. As we say in portuguese: "tastes are not discussable".:wink:

catfight.gif

Jack In The Box said:

oh my, that's an excellent emoticon, we need one of those on the smilies list!

I love HTDAAB, but I'm starting to think that maybe the folks who've been offering alternative track-orderings or talking about that as a problem have a good point. I keep feeling like there's something not completely 'coherent' about it as an album...That even though it seems a connected set of expressions, I still have this vague itchy feeling about it as a package? Yes, some of the 'sentiment' is more particular than usual and thusly the feel of 'honest emotion', and maybe less artfully arranged 'theme', but maybe some of it is simply ordering...I'm going to have to try some of the alternatives listed here; thanks!

I love the songs on HTDAAB (though I must say I often skip OSC actually), so maybe its just the flow somehow that doesn't feel quite right. I find myself almost never listening to it beginning to end, while I'm happy to do that with ATYCLB and AB.

cheers!

i don't want to re-discover the so called bomb. too much lala songs for lulu land on the album.

Canadiens1160 said:
... By the time you get to the end of Yahweh, it's like you've
just eaten a huge Thanksgiving dinner...

:yes: I must be a U2 binger. HTDAAB is good stuff - kind of like dessert!!

The way I see it...some people like their music served a certain way and some people try to find the positives in everything. And of course some people just like everything done by their fave band because it's their band and they either do or think they like everything. If someone only liked the more experimental U2, then I could see why they don't like the newer U2. If someone only liked the original earnest U2 then I could see why they don't appreciate the 90's U2, and maybe dislike parts of UF. And for someone like me who tries to find the positives in everything, I can understand someone liking almost everything they have ever put out......except HTDAAB. But that's just me.

Originally posted by Canadiens1160
... By the time you get to the end of Yahweh, it's like you've
just eaten a huge Thanksgiving dinner...

I like that Thanksgiving Dinner comment actually...

don't know what was meant by it exactly, but I feel like there's an awful lot to digest there...

big ol' filling courses and it's domestic and it's personal and it's BIG and it's not delicate or subtle..
it's not some crafty little bistro dish with the parts all stacked up that you need to eat slowly, it's sort of that nouveau american (i've seen it done in irishpub menu too) comfortfood in big portions with the focus being on getting you to recognize just how yummy mashed potatoes taste with steak and a salad.
It's not sweet, though...it's like there's no cake part. Yahweh almost feels like the U2-diner is getting up, full, and skipping dessert for lent maybe.
Though the fast cars track is a little trip to the belly-dancing cafe for an on-second-thought baklava and a nightcap...

I need a snack before bed now...:wave:

Last edited:
Mogi said:

Why did I hate this album so much? Maybe it was because I compared it to the AB, JT and UF, which in my opinion now, is quite unfair. When this album is judged on its on merit, it stands alone as a collection of really strong songs.

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That is why some don't like it because they compare it. I have seen so many posts that are like, "It is crap compared to JT, TUF, AB..." but you realll need to listen to it without the preconceptions and opinions and it is a really good album.

HTDAAB is crap compared to everything they've ever put out. The album's a freakin' insult to fans everywhere. Their newest approach to songwriting is trying to make everything a hit instead of a good song. At this point I'd rather them go in the studio and be all October-like and come up with shit on the spot. And prevent Bono from laboring over his lyrics, so we'll never again be exposed to a cheesy line like "freedom has a scent.." that will inspire further Scott Stapp posturings when sung live.

ozeeko, just curious...have you ever sat with a baby on your lap and taken in the scent of her head?

and again, if you don't mind my asking, what are your 3 favorite U2 songs, so I can figure out what for you counts as a 'noncrap' song that's not just a lame attempt at creating a 'hit'?

cheerio!

yes I have had a baby on my lap and taken in the scent....I just think it's a STUPID IDEA FOR A LYRIC. It just sounds fucking ridiculously cheesy. You know, taking a shit feels real good. Why not use that for a lyric?

My three favorite U2 songs...hmm I had this on some other thread. Hang on. Actually that was for top 5 U2 songs of ure life, but it doesn't pinpoint my favorites, just the ones that hold the greatest memories. As for my favorite 3...

Running To Stand Still
Bad
Lemon

Wouldn't say those were lame attempts at creating hits.

My favorite U2 singles?

Mysterious Ways
ISHFWILF
Desire

Wouldn't say those were lame attempts at creating hits either.

cheerio, top of the morning to ya!

was it your own baby? :wink:

I can't say that I don't like your top picks, but they are surely of a different style than what's on HTDAAB. I guess you've just decided that it's more than 'style' but motivation about 'hits' status, eh? Or just cheesy lyric-creation from "overthinking"?

Though I realize lots of people like Running to Stand Still, and I like the tune well enough, I've never felt it was all too brilliant, I must say, with it's ladadidadiday needlechill thing. Heroin songs might not be 'cheesy' but I've always thought they were sort of cliche.

So I guess no "rediscovering" for you then:wink:

cheers....

I didn't know it had to by 'my' baby. That's not what it says in the lyrics. Actually I was running through the park and I wanted to smell what freedom was like, so I picked up a strange baby, sniffed it, and it spit up on me.

ozeeko said:
I didn't know it had to by 'my' baby. That's not what it says in the lyrics. Actually I was running through the park and I wanted to smell what freedom was like, so I picked up a strange baby, sniffed it, and it spit up on me.
ah, so hence the "cheesy" evaluation on the lyric:laugh:

LyricalDrug wrote: "Sometimes" is their best song since "One". Amazing, amazing track
:banghead:
i can't believe...SYCMIOYO is totally over-produced. imo they killed the song with the sweet and sickly sound. ONE is champions league. ONE is fresh and airy and has the space to breeze, but SYCMIOYO suffocates on the production. imo its one of the worst songs U2 ever recorded together with THTBA, ELECTRICAL STORM + SWEETEST THING. a big part of the so called bomb is exsanguinous compared to other U2 albums. i just don't like that album. its my opinion.

jacobus said:
:banghead:
i can't believe...SYCMIOYO is totally over-produced. imo they killed the song with the sweet and sickly sound. ONE is champions league. ONE is fresh and airy and has the space to breeze, but SYCMIOYO suffocates on the production. imo its one of the worst songs U2 ever recorded together with THTBA, ELECTRICAL STORM + SWEETEST THING. a big part of the so called bomb is exsanguinous compared to other U2 albums. i just don't like that album. its my opinion.

I agree with you fully on SYCMIOYO. I can't see how longtime fans are moved by this track. It's in that category of overblown crappy ballads written by crappy bands like Creed and Lifehouse and Matchbox 20. I have to disagree with you on ELECTRICAL STORM, which actually conjures up an impressive atomosphere (if you're listening to the Orbit remix), which is more than I can say for Sometimes, which destructs atmosphere with every passing (or dying) note and overdub. I do wish they would've rethought the whole "you're in my mind all the time" section of the song. It's not terrible, just a little too safe sounding in my book. I always saw U2 as being above the mainstream, setting examples on pop instead of sinking to its most boring and unimaginative level. SWEETEST THING was great in its raw B-side form. Too bad they had to desecrate it with the Best Of version. What is THTBA? I'm not sure really.

oh, that's right (Hands that built America). I actually like that song, maybe because it reminds me of the movie. I always think of Bill the Butcher when listening to it. Day-Lewis gave the best performance of the 21st century so far in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom