Henry Rollins on Late World with Zack & More - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2002, 12:11 AM   #1
MBH
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wantagh, ny usa
Posts: 392
Local Time: 03:26 PM
Henry Rollins on Late World with Zack & More

Hey everyone. Got in late and caught the very last bit of "The Late World with Zack" on VH1(it is a satirical, talk-show).

Anyway, I was, as always, curious to see if the ever-obsessive Rollins had anything to say about U2.

I also am curious to discover any info. on other artists/musicians who do not like U2.
I am familiar the likes of Don Henley and George Harrison who dont like U2. I am curious to know of others who dont like them and, most specifically, why these artists dont like U2 in the first place(ie: jealousy, did U2 do something wrong, etc...)

In fact, I recently read a quote by Bono saying that Harrison doesnt like U2. I also read an piece a while back where Harrison mentioned something bad about U2. What is the deal?

If you want to know why I am so concerned with those who do not like U2, it is simple:
I want to know both sides of the story in life. I love U2 and so do most people on this site and many people in the world.

However, I try to be open-minded and I want to understand why people dont like something so then I can think about both sides and make an educated opinion on the issue(dont worry, I still love U2!).
Besides, praise becomes dull very quickly and dislike is controversial and provocative.

If anyone has any info. on these aforementioned artists or others and their reasons for disliking U2, please pass it along.

Thanks,
MBH
__________________

MBH is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 01:31 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 03:26 PM
I know of Rollins and Harrison, but have not heard Henley say anything bad. Harrison has mentioned them in statements about the Spice Girls calling them teen Pop without substance. Obviously wrong about that. Rollins is just crazy. I don't understand his intense anger. Where did you hear Henley did not like U2?
__________________

STING2 is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 02:21 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 08:26 AM
I saw Late World, the host "Zach" showed some videos of artists and asked Rollins for his opinions on them. He got to the clip of the Elevation video and asked Rollins what his beef was with Bono.

Rollins actually gave Bono props for what he is trying to do for Africa. Because Rollins has been to Africa and saw how horrible it is.

That suprised the hell out of me.

The big beef that Rollins has with Bono and U2 is that he said U2 makes these albums that get a lot of praise but to him they're albums for 40 year olds. He said that these albums get called rock albums, but rock albums for people that don't get off their fat asses.

But it was nice that Rollins respects Bono for his political endeavors.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.
david is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 04:16 AM   #4
New Yorker
 
Flying FuManchu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Posts: 3,171
Local Time: 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by david:
I saw Late World, the host "Zach" showed some videos of artists and asked Rollins for his opinions on them. He got to the clip of the Elevation video and asked Rollins what his beef was with Bono.

Rollins actually gave Bono props for what he is trying to do for Africa. Because Rollins has been to Africa and saw how horrible it is.

That suprised the hell out of me.

See Rollins isn't a bad man. Buy some Black Flag.



------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC
Flying FuManchu is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 01:20 PM   #5
MBH
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wantagh, ny usa
Posts: 392
Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2:
I know of Rollins and Harrison, but have not heard Henley say anything bad. Harrison has mentioned them in statements about the Spice Girls calling them teen Pop without substance. Obviously wrong about that. Rollins is just crazy. I don't understand his intense anger. Where did you hear Henley did not like U2?
In Bill Flanagan's book, "Until the End of the World.' Henley told Flanagan that "he doesnt get them(U2)" Henley was also pissed when Automatic Baby(U2/REM) upstaged him at the MTV broadcast of the Clinton Inaguration in '93(I think it is just sour grapes from an aging veteran).

Henley's music is great and the Eagles are great in concert(saw them in '96) IMO...

As for Harrison: yeah, I read that quote comparing U2 to Spice Girls on a site called "U2sucks.com" which is not in service anymore, I believe(lol, lol).

Anyway Harrison said that U2 and the Spice Girls will not even be remembered in 20 years(the quote is from '97, I think). That is not true, obviously. U2 will be remembered quite possibly as the biggest band ever next to the Beatles.

Quite frankly, George sounded like a bittere, angry, aging rock great. Maybe he should be referred to as the "angry Beatle" instead of the quiet Beatles...lol

Love Beatles and George, though. May he RIP...

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 04-02-2002).]
MBH is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 01:29 PM   #6
MBH
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wantagh, ny usa
Posts: 392
Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by david:
I saw Late World, the host "Zach" showed some videos of artists and asked Rollins for his opinions on them. He got to the clip of the Elevation video and asked Rollins what his beef was with Bono.

Rollins actually gave Bono props for what he is trying to do for Africa. Because Rollins has been to Africa and saw how horrible it is.

That suprised the hell out of me.

The big beef that Rollins has with Bono and U2 is that he said U2 makes these albums that get a lot of praise but to him they're albums for 40 year olds. He said that these albums get called rock albums, but rock albums for people that don't get off their fat asses.

But it was nice that Rollins respects Bono for his political endeavors.


Thanks for the info.

Actually, I am shocked to that HR said anything even slightly positive about Bono(although he hates U2, most of his anger is usually directed at Bono; Bono always get the most attention).

That was it, huh? Just a few seconds on U2. No really hurtful quotes, no wishing anyone death, etc... What was the praise for Bono, good job and shit like that? Just curious.

As for the 40 year old comment: that is only partially true. Yes, there are a few songs off of ATYCLB that seem to be geared toward people in their 40's(Kite, Stuck, Grace, When I look, Peace). After all, the album is written by someone who was approaching 40 at the time. By the way, I thought ATYCLB is great, but a little on the sappy side; here's hoping the next U2 album rocks and is much harder).

Generally though, U2 DO NOT make albums for people in their 40's who dont get off of their fat asses(it that exactly what HR said on the show?) To me that is Henry being Henry: honest and cruel; vindictive and jealous The only album that is really geared toward an older audience in terms of music is SOME of ATYCLB. The fact that ATYCLB has caught on with many younger fans(teens and younger even) nulifies much of Rollins' comment.

Look forward to your reply.

By the way, what do you think of the show overall? Did Zack have an opinion on U2?
MBH is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 01:31 PM   #7
MBH
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wantagh, ny usa
Posts: 392
Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu:
See Rollins isn't a bad man. Buy some Black Flag.

Fuck Henry Rollins and Fuck Black Flag!

Ok, that was my ignorant, 8th-grade reaction to Rollins.

Really, I am not a fan of Rollins nor his music. However, I do find Rollins to be honest, provacative and interesting.

Once you wish someone dead like he did to Bono last year, I do not respect you anymore.
MBH is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 01:50 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MBH:

Thanks for the info.

Actually, I am shocked to that HR said anything even slightly positive about Bono(although he hates U2, most of his anger is usually directed at Bono; Bono always get the most attention).

That was it, huh? Just a few seconds on U2. No really hurtful quotes, no wishing anyone death, etc... What was the praise for Bono, good job and shit like that? Just curious.
he said "it's great that he is trying to raise awareness in africa, and i commend him for that" i think.

Quote:

As for the 40 year old comment: that is only partially true. Yes, there are a few songs off of ATYCLB that seem to be geared toward people in their 40's(Kite, Stuck, Grace, When I look, Peace). After all, the album is written by someone who was approaching 40 at the time. By the way, I thought ATYCLB is great, but a little on the sappy side; here's hoping the next U2 album rocks and is much harder).

Generally though, U2 DO NOT make albums for people in their 40's who dont get off of their fat asses(it that exactly what HR said on the show?) To me that is Henry being Henry: honest and cruel; vindictive and jealous The only album that is really geared toward an older audience in terms of music is SOME of ATYCLB. The fact that ATYCLB has caught on with many younger fans(teens and younger even) nulifies much of Rollins' comment.

Look forward to your reply.

By the way, what do you think of the show overall? Did Zack have an opinion on U2?
rollins is 40 years old too, actually i think he is the same age as bono.
zach didn't have an opinion on U2.
i like late world with zach, it's a great show.


------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.
david is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 02:15 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,651
Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by david:
I saw Late World, the host "Zach" showed some videos of artists and asked Rollins for his opinions on them. He got to the clip of the Elevation video and asked Rollins what his beef was with Bono.

Rollins actually gave Bono props for what he is trying to do for Africa. Because Rollins has been to Africa and saw how horrible it is.

That suprised the hell out of me.

The big beef that Rollins has with Bono and U2 is that he said U2 makes these albums that get a lot of praise but to him they're albums for 40 year olds. He said that these albums get called rock albums, but rock albums for people that don't get off their fat asses.

But it was nice that Rollins respects Bono for his political endeavors.


I had the same reaction. I had expected the bashing I've always heard about but have never witnessed, but instead I felt his gripe was pretty minimal and he did indeed acknowledge Bono's good work.
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 04:26 PM   #10
New Yorker
 
gherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Posts: 2,525
Local Time: 04:26 PM
On a side note I think its interesting that Henry Rollins is gay. I mean with that tough persona that he caries around.

But not that there is anything wrong with that!
gherman is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 04:31 PM   #11
The Fly
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 39
Local Time: 03:26 PM
Henry Rollins is gay?
Humbucker is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 07:45 PM   #12
MBH
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wantagh, ny usa
Posts: 392
Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:
These guys are all entitled to their opinions. I like Henley, I like Harrison, and Rollins is a smart cat. Sure, he may hate U2, but so what?
Nobody said that the aforementioned people are not entitled to their opinion.
However, when Rollins said that "I hope Bono's life is shortened, and "if he (Bono) died tomorrow it would not be a second to soon," it should be noted that he has much hate inside of him. That is nothing short of pathetic. In order to hate something or someone else that much, you probably hate yourself. Wishing someone dead b/c you dont like their music is indefensible.

MBH is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 07:49 PM   #13
MBH
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wantagh, ny usa
Posts: 392
Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by gherman:
On a side note I think its interesting that Henry Rollins is gay. I mean with that tough persona that he caries around.

But not that there is anything wrong with that!
Seriously, is Henry Rollins gay or not?

It's funny that you mention this b/c my friend and I had this discussion last week about whether or not Rollins is gay. I have read articles about him where he describes having sex with woman in explicit details. I say that he is straight.

Either way, he still has much pain in him and it shows, for better or for worse.

Please let me know if you have the answer to this question...thanks.


MBH is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 09:54 PM   #14
New Yorker
 
gherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Posts: 2,525
Local Time: 04:26 PM
My older brother in Toronto told me this a year ago. He knows a shit load about music and little inside details like that. I just thought of it the other night because they were joking about it on Zack 's shaow on VH1. I thought it was bullshit when he told me but he wasn't joking. He is old and wise and I trust him

I still question it though
gherman is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 10:10 PM   #15
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: MI
Posts: 166
Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MBH:
Nobody said that the aforementioned people are not entitled to their opinion.
However, when Rollins said that "I hope Bono's life is shortened, and "if he (Bono) died tomorrow it would not be a second to soon," it should be noted that he has much hate inside of him. That is nothing short of pathetic. In order to hate something or someone else that much, you probably hate yourself. Wishing someone dead b/c you dont like their music is indefensible.

And I was to know he said that...how? P.S. Did I ever quote anyone saying they weren't entitled to their opinion? I was pointing out the obvious, as everyone was criticizing what Rollins said.

[This message has been edited by Mulholland Drive (edited 04-02-2002).]
Mulholland Drive is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 10:14 PM   #16
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 09:26 AM
It is hard to imagine if Don Henley stil has any negative feelings against our boys. He stood a couple of feet away from several of US at the last dallas show. Hard to tell if he really enjoyed himself though, he seemed so paranoid. However, he and his lovely wife would turn around and watch Bono everytime he jetted from the stage and walked over them towards the tip. He also came over to my buddy and autograped his shirt and posed for a picture. I would like to see Henley in concert, esp if there's ever another "hell freezes over...."
z edge is offline  
Old 04-02-2002, 10:19 PM   #17
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:
And I was to know he said that...how? P.S. Did I ever quote anyone saying they weren't entitled to their opinion? I was pointing out the obvious, as everyone was criticizing what Rollins said.

[This message has been edited by Mulholland Drive (edited 04-02-2002).]
Thats been posted in here several different times by different folks. I believe it to be reliable since that many of us wouldn't lie about it. He has said a lot of bad bad things about U2 and particularly Bono. He's a dumbass, Larry would bitch-slap him around like the bitch he is
z edge is offline  
Old 04-03-2002, 03:30 AM   #18
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: MI
Posts: 166
Local Time: 03:26 PM
These guys are all entitled to their opinions. I like Henley, I like Harrison, and Rollins is a smart cat. Sure, he may hate U2, but so what?
Mulholland Drive is offline  
Old 04-03-2002, 03:41 AM   #19
New Yorker
 
gherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Posts: 2,525
Local Time: 04:26 PM
U2's music is for 40 year olds. You have to be that mature to get it.
gherman is offline  
Old 04-03-2002, 12:47 PM   #20
MBH
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wantagh, ny usa
Posts: 392
Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:
And I was to know he said that...how? P.S. Did I ever quote anyone saying they weren't entitled to their opinion? I was pointing out the obvious, as everyone was criticizing what Rollins said.

[This message has been edited by Mulholland Drive (edited 04-02-2002).]
Hey MD,
In your original post you stated that these guys are entitled to their opinion, which is correct. However, many on this site were objecting to the feelings of the opinion. NOT the OPINION itself, that's all. No biggie.

As for Henry:
One of the quotes about wishing Bono dead was made on the Howard Stern Show in March of 2001. He mocks U2 during some of his spoken word albums and tours; he disses them during VH-1 documentaries; ridicules them during various interviews(especially during the POPMart tour); it goes on and on. I just wanted to reference my statements so that factual evidence is provided.

HR can and always does seem to have an outspoken opinion. Some of it is wise and I agree with; other nasty, hurtful opinions such as those regarding U2, I STRONGLY disagree with.

I am curious as to your feelings on this.
__________________

MBH is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×