great bono moments on record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeman

Refugee
so my last post (regarding 'a room at the heartbreak hotel') got me thinking....
i love bono's voice on that track. what are my favorite moments of his on record? moments you listen to over and over an over again in a row...not live, but in the studio magic....
here's where i'm starting from:

1) bad from UF. those 'wide awake's are chilling.
2) 'heartbreak hotel' - the break in his voice is amazing. an amazing performance.
3) 'one tree hill' - the whole friggin' thing - the climax with the 'rain in your heart...' bit rules the day!
4) 'gone' - 'I'll be UUPPPPP with the sun!'
5) 'the fly' - sinister and sultry. he had never done this before, and he was GOOD at being BAD.:ohmy:

what do you think?

Electrical Storm - "Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"

Kite - "I'm a maaaaaaaaaaan, I'm not a child... "

Can't Help Falling in Love - "Take my hand, take my whooole life too... (beautiful falsetto)

2 very tiny, seemingly insignificant vocal bits:

In Crumbs, @ 4:00 "Hey!."

And in Original Of The Species, @ 3:37. He sounds extremely ecstatic, then he throws in that little "Yeah" as he pulls back on the mike.

Not moments that show any kind of range or vocal prowess, but man, I don't think I've ever heard anyone sound so absorbed in their music.

on the Please single -- WTSHNN live from Rotterdam. . . at the very end he gives this yelp/shout that is fucking amazing! i didn't know popmart bono had it in him!!

Bad, New Year's Concert 12-31-89 -- when the band starts coming back for the 2nd big part, and Bono goes 'thankyou, thank you very much' and throws down the mic . . . sOooooo fucking COOL :rockon:

I have a lot of these little moments that I love, but the first one that comes to mind is In a Little While, at the end of the 2nd verse, he does a little hey/voice break thing in between
"well, it's been" and "it's been a little while"
that little hey/yeah/whatever it is, gets me every time!

Discotheque 2:14-2:30 oooOoOoooooo or LooooOoove or whatever he's saying, beautiful falsetto

Acrobat "what are we gonna do it's all been said we need new ideas in the house every book has been read" I like it because it's weird, actually. like for the longest time I didn't know what he was saying, i just liked the way it sounded. and it's right before edge's amazing solo :drool:

The falsetto ending of One

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Native Son!

the "bah bah bah bah bah bah bah bah bah" Bono does by himself at the end of Miami :cute:

The entire end of Mofo. Holy shit. And I love the bridge as well.

there are many, many others, I could post for days about Bono's voice :wink:

I definently get chills everytime I hear the part in IGWSHA when he says:
"so where is the hope, and where is the faith and the loooooooooove what's that you said to me, does love, light up your Christmas tree, the next minute you're blowing a fuse and the cartoon network turns ino the news"

That whole part I just love to no extent for some reason

Also I love in Please: "It's what lovers deal, it's what lovers steal, you know I find it hard to recieve, cause you my love I could never believe"

bono_212 said:
I definently get chills everytime I hear the part in IGWSHA when he says:
"so where is the hope, and where is the faith and the loooooooooove what's that you said to me, does love, light up your Christmas tree, the next minute you're blowing a fuse and the cartoon network turns ino the news"

That whole part I just love to no extent for some reason

Also I love in Please: "It's what lovers deal, it's what lovers steal, you know I find it hard to recieve, cause you my love I could never believe"

i'm right with you on both counts!
good call.

another one i thought of, from 'a sort of homecoming'
'the wind will crack
in wintertime
this bomb blast lightning waltz
no spoken words
just a SCREAMMMM!!!
oooohhhh YEAHHH......etc'

holy guacamole:drool:

Last edited:
HeeeeeeeaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTland

You know what I'm talking about. Three other absolutely top ones:

No spoken words, just a screeeaaaaam

Hooooold ooooon toooo loooove

And I LOOOOVE the way you walk on me, and I NEEEEEEEED yooouuuu more than you need me ... Spanish eeeeeEEEEEeeeyes

Honourable mention to:

- The "raining" part of One Tree Hill
- The entire stream of consciousness that is Treasure
- "Young men, bloody, as a wild irish rose."
- The "don't believe in the sixties ... kick the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight" verse of God Part II.
- "All I want is YOOOOUUUUU."

Bono's voice in the eighties was absolutely sensational, incomparable. There aren't enough recordings. They had enough material for more albums and they should've done them.

Well apart from the ones already mentioned:

OOTS - "show your soul/under control"
Until the end of the world - "Love Love Love" during the 3rd verse
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - "hold back these tears"
Walk On - the "hoooooooooo" just before "leave it behind"
Streets - The way he belts out "blown by the wind" in the 3rd verse. Oh how I wish they would add this part when they're playing live.

Axver said:

- The "raining" part of One Tree Hill

Yeh, good one.

Also his 'opera' part on Miss Sarajevo li3 from Milan - which IS a b-side so I think it counts as on record.

I actually quite like his 'Lemoooon' falsettos.
And the way he 'breathes' the final lines of Please before it segues into Streets on the PopHeart CD single -chills, man!

I think Bono is a great interpreter... He sings very differently depending on the song and there are not too many singers capable of doing that. Do you know what I mean?

I like all his falsetos and I like when his voice goes higher like on Kite "I'm a maaaaaaaaaaaaan" or in OOTS... But there are so many... so many!

Handsdown it would be Bono's (quack?) at 3:15 on the Madison Square Gardens recording of In A Little While. :)

Bono has some trouble hitting the high notes on this song and after a series of nearly inaudible (because they are so high) noises he has a little exclamation he makes around 3:40.

Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix) : WAAAAAAAAKKKEEE UPPPP!!!

Also all the rhyming words (isolation, dislocation, in temptation....) in Bad - Wouldn't be the same sung any other way or by any other person!!!:D

MrBrau1 said:

In Crumbs, @ 4:00 "Hey!."

That's what I like to call a mustard moment. A little fire and spice out of nowhere to expose the internal drive thats fueling the music on that song.

Great choice!!

"I'm only asking but I.... I think you knooowww!"

:drool:

"What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow"

:drool: :drool:

"Feeeeeeling nothing, I feeeeel nothing, feeeeeeeeeeeeeel
whoo whoo whooo"

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
So many great moments.... mostly in the 80's regarding his voice. Today, I was listening to my "Complete U2" on I tunes while cleaning my apartment..... and yeah, there is a huge difference in his voice if we compare the 80's and now. The live songs (Dublin 89) are so amazing, his voice is perfect, he can do whatever he wants with it. Now it's not as powerful, less clear, lower..... he still has a beautiful voice, but it's not the same one.

Miss Sarajevo (Vertigo Tour) is outstanding though, as well as songs like A man and a woman, Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad, Yahweh, Original......Kite....

"My father is a rich man, he wears a rich man's cloak
Gave me the keys to his kingdom coming
Gave me a cup of gold
He said 'I have many mansions
And there are many rooms to see'
But I left by the back door
And I threw away the key
And I threw away the key
Yeah, I threw away the key
Yeah, I threw away the key "

Beautiful....

SunBloc said:
Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix) : WAAAAAAAAKKKEEE UPPPP!!!

Also all the rhyming words (isolation, dislocation, in temptation....) in Bad - Wouldn't be the same sung any other way or by any other person!!!:D

:yes: I heard a cover of Bad on the radio today, an acoustic one, and it just didn't sound the same. The singer also mixed up some of the words. I have to say, it was pretty damn cool hearing it on an acoustic guitar, though!

EPAA has many Bono moments.. spine chilling. :drool:

some that I can think of would be One Tree Hill (raaainin' in your heeart), Bad (wiiide awaaake), OOTS (show your soul, you've been keeping your love under control), Red Hill Mining Town even though it's never been performed live (haangin' on, you're all that's left to hold onto), Pride (in the naaaame of love), and so many more..

there's too many Bono moments to name

Promenade

(whatever the actual lyrics are, don't be too hard one me please)
"Oh, tell me, cherry you'll dance with me, spin me around tonight" and "And I like a firework explode, roman candle, lightening lights up the sky"

TWO SHOTS:

"I'm just a singer, some say a sinner..."

"you say i'm lucky, but hell i've made my own"

"drove me to drink, but hey, that's not all bad."

"guess i've been greedy all of my life,
greedy with my children, my lovers, my wife"

:drool: :drool: :drool:

HORSES:

"when you turn around.........."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom