Going over old ground again but........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boystupidboy

Refugee
Listening to the album at the moment and i know that this has been talked about before but IMO Bono's voice really is good on this album .He may be starting to look like an old man but boy can that old codger knock out a mean vocal.........roll on the tour:drool: :drool: :drool:

I know what you mean. He's looking older, arent they all (bar Larry) but his vocals are quite outstanding on this album. Let's see how well they can hold up on the tour. Once it gets going, after a few dates, any slight problems will probably have been sorted out. Like the "..is to fake it" at the end of Sometimes..
He doesnt HAVE to do that in a falsetto like on the album, hopefully he'll realise that and sing it just a little lower or something., and save the falsetto for the other bits of the song.

The wonders of modern recording technologies and vocal effects to make the voice have a fountain of youth. The real test for Bono's vocal prowess is live. From the looks of it, he has shown nothing to indicate he can still scream Pride like he used to, or give a falsetto with as much finesse as Can't Help Falling In Love. Let's face it, Bono's already in his 40's. Even the "tenor note" in Sometimes isn't that unattainable and difficult as Bono would want you guys to believe.

Cheers,

J

Where have you been Jick?! I havent seen you post in ages! (We are in different time zones of course tho..!)

Agree with your post anyway. I really hope, more than any other song, that 'Sometimes' works out well live, and is the real belting live ballad that it CAN be. It's showing promise from the few performences we've heard, but I do share your views on the 'tenor note' Jick.
Pride's chorus will no doubt be sung loudly by the crowd, as on the last tour, to make up for Bono's vocal on that one.
It's a shame that we'll never hear that and WOWY like they used to be sung, but hey...at least we have brand new songs to enjoy!:drool: :wink:

Aardvark747 said:
Where have you been Jick?! I havent seen you post in ages! (We are in different time zones of course tho..!)

Agree with your post anyway. I really hope, more than any other song, that 'Sometimes' works out well live, and is the real belting live ballad that it CAN be. It's showing promise from the few performences we've heard, but I do share your views on the 'tenor note' Jick.
Pride's chorus will no doubt be sung loudly by the crowd, as on the last tour, to make up for Bono's vocal on that one.
It's a shame that we'll never hear that and WOWY like they used to be sung, but hey...at least we have brand new songs to enjoy!:drool: :wink:

I was gone for a week. Was hospitalized but all is fine now and (two blood transfusions later) I'm back at full force. Nice to know that you noticed I was gone.

Cheers,

J

Jick, sorry to hear about your hospitilization, hope all is well.

However, I must disagree with you in regards to Bono's voice at this moment. His voice is stronger and more resilient than it's been in years. Just listen to I Will Follow from the Brooklyn Show. At the end of the song he's screaming "I Will FOLLOW!!" like the old days.

Another thing is his voice has that deeper quality that he's lacked in recent years, and the falsetto seems to be coming back to. I think you'll see and hear a new Bono during this next tour.

Also, his voice kicks @$$ on the new CD.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Jick, sorry to hear about your hospitilization, hope all is well.

Thanks for your concern. I am all right now, back to 100% full strength. I just got back to the golf course today.

As for Bono's voice having a second wind, I tend to agree but the point I was getting at is that Bono will NEVER sing like he used to. But his voice is still damn good for a fortysomething who is a chain smoker.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom