GA lines: the good, the bad and the ugly? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2003, 07:33 PM   #21
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:39 PM
I was in the 10-24 line in NYC. It was perfect. i got there at 2:30 and was number 219. we don't line up early in NYC for the most part. then they took the line forward and in the building and then down to the floor. In the process of all of this, people cut the line. When you got to the table they were handing out the bracelets at they asked for numbers. If you didn't have one, they sent you to the back of the line. worked quite well.

make friends with security and it works fine. and security has to be cool.

Old 01-29-2003, 07:57 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:39 AM
I was in the horrible Chicago 10/16 line too!!! Security was fine and the fans policed themselves, but my friend and I nearly froze our asses off! I wasn't warm again until U2 hit the stage.

I was also at the 5/16 Chicago show, and I didn't have any problems.

5/9 Milwaukee: My friend and I left the line to go around and see Bono and Larry, and when we returned the line had jumbled up into one big sea of people. I'm not sure what happened since we weren't there to witness it, but we still got a good spot in the heart so it all worked out. The only problem was that my feet were killing me after the show because I had to be on my feet from about 4:30 (when the line bunched up) till after the show.

Old 01-30-2003, 09:07 AM   #23
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Local Time: 10:39 PM
I encountered trouble with 2 young couples who tried to force their way into the line just as the doors were opening. They had NOT been there before and we had been given sharpie numbers and they didn't have any. They lied and said someone told them numbers didn't matter, if you were there it was your spot. Some people started getting mad, and when I went up to join them in complaining, they took me for a cutter and ran and told security on me. It was a big mess. The cutters stuck around, but when we went through the doors, I ended up with a faster wristband line than them and got a better spot

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 01-30-2003, 11:17 AM   #24
Acrobat

I am curious, having never been in the GA line, how does it work? Do you have to wait in line all day before the show opens? How do you go to the bathroom, or get something to eat? Also, if you have a bunch of stuff with you while you are waiting (chair, blanket, etc.,) what do you do with it when you go into the arena?
Old 01-30-2003, 12:14 PM   #25
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by dipster
I am curious, having never been in the GA line, how does it work? Do you have to wait in line all day before the show opens? How do you go to the bathroom, or get something to eat? Also, if you have a bunch of stuff with you while you are waiting (chair, blanket, etc.,) what do you do with it when you go into the arena?
Question 1- yes, and the earlier you get there the better. Some people slept there all night!

Question 2- hope there is something nearby and somebody will hold your spot.

Question 3- The venue workers come out around an hour before they let you in and tell you to take your stuff back to the car now. Then you just have to stand up the rest of the time. If you didn't come by car and have nowhere to take your crap back to I guess you just have to leave it and take a chance it won't be stolen or thown away before you get back.

Now, I was going to say- don't you guys just HATE it when you're running down the steps to the arena floor, your heart pounding, hoping the spot you want is still there, and the guards are all going "Slow down! No running!" like Elementary school safety patrols? Sorry, but this is U2, and I'm running as fast as I can! (not to stand still!)
Old 01-30-2003, 05:46 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by SamanthaPuff

Now, I was going to say- don't you guys just HATE it when you're running down the steps to the arena floor, your heart pounding, hoping the spot you want is still there, and the guards are all going "Slow down! No running!" like Elementary school safety patrols? Sorry, but this is U2, and I'm running as fast as I can! (not to stand still!)
Honestly, no I dont. If they didnt it would be chaos once you were inside and I guarantee you someone would trip, fall and injure themselves in the process. The United Center in Chicago did a beautiful job with this. They literally had people posted the entire route to the stage making sure no one ran. It was calm, cool and collective and I was able to get the spot I wanted all 6 times there. Not to mention why should someone that is a faster sprinter get to the front over someone who was camped out 4 hours longer than them that simply cant run as fast or is not willing to knock people over in the process?

The part that was nerve racking for me was getting the wrist bands for the GA floor prior to going down to the floor. I always seemed to get the idiot that didnt know how to put it on right. Its like "MAN, hurry!!" Meanwhile people behind you are getting theirs put on them with no problem and moving on! Now THAT was nerve racking!

I forgot which one, I think it was the 2nd or 3rd 1st leg Chicago show. Some girls got there at about 4pm and were hanging out on top of the bank (if you were in the Chicago line you know what I'am talking about) acting like they belonged. Fans went to them and told them you had to have a card (we were using numbered decks of playing cards to keep the line in order) to be in line. They were like, oh we know, we are just sitting here. Well, the line started to move and they immediately tried to jump into the front of the line. All the fans in the line pushed them back. To The United Centers credit security told them to go to the back of the line. It was great! They could have said, we dont care. U2 fans in action.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:58 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room
The part that was nerve racking for me was getting the wrist bands for the GA floor prior to going down to the floor. I always seemed to get the idiot that didnt know how to put it on right. Its like "MAN, hurry!!" Meanwhile people behind you are getting theirs put on them with no problem and moving on! Now THAT was nerve racking!

Oh that was so frustrating! That happened to me too!

About running, everybody I saw was running and ignoring the calls to walk but nobody was pushing or rioting or anything. I think that happened every time because the fans were so excited and anxious.

Back to the food and bathroom thing, I would be interested in hearing which lines were the most and least convenient.

About the stuff you bring to lay on and have to put away: in Baltimore, every time I left and came back, they had moved the lines up to condense the line some person was nice enough to move my stuff up for me. I think most people were good with each other saving places and keeping track of belongings. Did anybody have any bad luck with losing a spot going for a break? I don't think I've ever heard of that.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:11 AM   #28
Refugee

I've had 3 GA experiences!

My 1st: Lexington, KY! It wasn't bad because I got there late and wasn't standing in the hot sun! I didn't have a bad position on the floor: outside the heart but close to the side! However, I almost passed out halfway during the show from dehydration!

2nd: Indianapolis, IN! Security was awesome here and so were the fans who held places in line (so we could take a break!)

3rd: Baltimore, MD Overall my worst experience. So many people cut in line around the corner. And all the rumors that there were many fake GA tickets out. Also, what pissed me off was that they gave out they were slow putting the wristbands on and that there were a lot of people at the tip of the heart who had Heart wristbands on. If you are not going to use your heart wristband!!!

But meeting the band before the baltimore concert made up for the bad experience!
Old 02-02-2003, 10:48 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'll keep in short and just say that I had three GA experiences, and they were all just great. Good times, great people, U2 fun, and being in the heart!!!! I wish they'd do it every time.

Old 02-02-2003, 11:00 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Had GA tickets for 4 shows, and I wouldn't classify any of them as bad.

Security in Toronto, both nights, was fine. We had a great numbering system, and they left it up to the fans, which is always good.

London night 4 was OK, but there were people trying to cut in line, and then we had to be renumbered several times because some people slept over, some went home, but wanted to move up in line. It was mainly fine, done by the fans, and the people in line around me were fantastic.

Hamilton was OK, save for the fact that the first 15 or so people were intoxicated, kept drinking all night long.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:02 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by skjuls

Also, what pissed me off was that they gave out they were slow putting the wristbands on and that there were a lot of people at the tip of the heart who had Heart wristbands on. If you are not going to use your heart wristband!!!

That pissed me off too! I didn't get in the heart, and when I saw all those people outside the heart with wristbands I thought how unfair it was to those who wanted to go into the heart but couldn't. You'd even hear some of them say they got the heart wristband 'just in case' they decided to go back in, but if they didn't go in, it was taking a spot from someone who wanted to go in. I think security should've made it a rule, if you take a wristband, you stay in the heart, or don't take one!
Old 02-03-2003, 01:26 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

That pissed me off too! I didn't get in the heart, and when I saw all those people outside the heart with wristbands I thought how unfair it was to those who wanted to go into the heart but couldn't. You'd even hear some of them say they got the heart wristband 'just in case' they decided to go back in, but if they didn't go in, it was taking a spot from someone who wanted to go in. I think security should've made it a rule, if you take a wristband, you stay in the heart, or don't take one!
I understand what you are saying but how on earth would security enforce that rule? Say you couldnt leave the heart once you were in? Then what happens if you have to use the restroom or want to get something to drink?

I think for the most part the wrist band part of the GA situation was handled well, as good as it could have been. I know there were a few venues that automatically gave the heart wristbands to the first 250 or so through the door. A couple of fans said they were going for the tip and didnt need them and the venue told them if they didnt take the heart band they needed to go to the back of the line. So those fans took them anyway. I dont fault them for that one. This was a rare instance though. Most of the problems arose from lining up activity outside and what doors and when the venue elected to open them for the GA crowd.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:55 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room
I know there were a few venues that automatically gave the heart wristbands to the first 250 or so through the door. A couple of fans said they were going for the tip and didnt need them and the venue told them if they didnt take the heart band they needed to go to the back of the line. So those fans took them anyway. I dont fault them for that one. This was a rare instance though.
Thanks for reminding me. This happened in Toronto #2. I was #21 in line, and was standing with 5 friends. All of us wanted to go to the tip, and told them we didn't need wristbands. Then they told us to go stand in the back of the line (behind the 400 or so people assembled). Yeah, right, we didn't stand out there for 12+ hours to go all the way back, so they basically forcibly put the wristbands on us. Once inside, we tried to take them off and give them to people who wanted to go in the heart, but you couldn't do it without ripping them.