First New U2 Album Experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
I became a U2 fan in '95. Therefore, Pop's release was my first new U2 album experience. I had school that day, and I kept calling the music store between classes from the pay phone in the hall to make sure they had it/still had it. *lol* I think I drove them crazy.

What was yours? Or have some of you new fans that were drawn in by ATYCLB have yet to experience it?

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Well I was a fan of Joshua Tree and songs from Rattle and Hum but didnt really become obsessed till Achtung Baby so it was Zooropa.
I remember listening to it for the first time and thinking U2 had gone absolutely mad.
Bono screaming like a woman about fruit?!
Weird noises?!
Edge rapping?!
Some old country singer singing the final song?!??!!?!?!!!

Now I call myself zooropamanda.
biggrin.gif

Who'd have thunk it?

*lmao*

What a great Zooropa review!
biggrin.gif

------------------

the new album will be my first release experience, as i became a fan with ATYCLB.

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"A word I've always liked more than happiness is joy. Happiness is a mood that comes and goes, whereas joy is just there." -Bono

The CIRCLE only has one side.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

In my dream I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows they learned to swim...

LOL@the review.

Hmmm, my first...

AB, (sort of) courtesy of my brother's stereo. I remember listening to the songs on it, and i was just amazed by the incredible sound that was unlike anything i ever heard - especially the guitar. I liked it immediately.
biggrin.gif

The first U2 album i bought was ATYCLB. After hearing the clips, i went to the CD store the day it was released and bought it. (i never do that kind of thing, usually i wait till i hear the singles on MTV)
And then listening it at home, and again, loving it instantly, and comparing the clips to the songs - being most pleasantly surprised at Wild honey, and later letting the songs grow on me.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 02-01-2002).]

Let it be known that that was my very professional critque which i actually was awarded the pullitzer prize for

Hey U2girlie, that is one cool town name. Ljubljana..I just wanna say that over and over
Ljubljana
Ljubljana!Ljubljana!
If i knew how to say it of course...
Teach me?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Hey U2girlie, that is one cool town name. Ljubljana..I just wanna say that over and over
Ljubljana
Ljubljana!Ljubljana!
If i knew how to say it of course...
Teach me?
biggrin.gif

Seriously? Or are you kidding around?

I diiiiiiiiiddy oh bo buy white tape with black writing, when they existed and in Isle of Man bought the t-shirt and shit.....then heavy rubber metal broke U2 spirits and turned all four men into tough little shits with rubber and drums, high-speed dancin by Bono and shoulder rubbin crowds screamin for Mr B's leather crotch - THAT was my first album on tape..

first album album as in CD was POP......the rest is history, and I so hope to meet Bonos ass some day........
biggrin.gif

I am serious U2girl.
Its a very cool name. I like cool place names.
I'd like to know how its pronounced.

ZA<-- Puts on serious face to show U2girlie she isn't mucking aorund

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
I am serious U2girl.
Its a very cool name. I like cool place names.
I'd like to know how its pronounced.

ZA<-- Puts on serious face to show U2girlie she isn't mucking aorund

Well i saw the grinning smiley and i thought you were pulling my leg. Plus no one ever asks me something like that.

Well, in that case ... Thanks!
smile.gif

First go by saying parts of the word:
LJU ("lyou" in official Slovene, but we townsfolk of Ljubljana pronounce it "lou", which may be easier on you to pronounce as well)

BLJA (again 2 possibilities: "blyah" in official Slovene, "blah" for us townsfolk)

NA ("nah", "na")

Now just put those 3 together and you're all set! LJUBLJANA.

By the way, if you change one letter and turn LJUBLJANA to LJUBLJENA it means "the loved one".
smile.gif

ps: teaching stuff feels weird LOL.

I remember the day Joshua Tree was released. I made my mom drive me to the mall so I can purchase it - on tape. I also ran to the store to purchase all of the Joshua Tree singles on tape (anyone remember the boxes the single came in?) I think I still have those boxes somewhere....

I remember when POP came out. I was working as an assistant manager at a video store, which also sold music. We got our shipment in of cd's on the saturday before the release date. I remember I schedualed myself and the two other U2 nuts. When the box came in we were so excited. Our manager said that we were not allowed to take the cd's home until it was released. So we counted down the hours until the shift was over, and then the three of us spent the whole night in the backroom (and yes, this was a Saturday) listening to the cd!! I ended up being a really naughty girl. Since the cd was coming out on Tuesday morning, I took a copy home with me Monday night after close, and I came back in the morning to pay for it!!

ATYCLB. I had planned to buy it on my lunch hour at work, but unfortunatly I got stuck at the office in a meeting. So I decided to stop by the record store on the way home. My dad had car troubles though, and called me to rescue him. I was really annoyed, but hey, he gave me life. How could I say no!! So I was driving home with my dad in the car, completely out of the way of the mall where the record store is. Thinking about how I would run out right after dinner. Then I saw a small used record store that I had never seen before. I saw a sign on the window that said "We have new CD's too". I parked the car and ran in to find out that there new cd's consists of about 10-15. But guess what???? They had it!!! I was thrilled!!

I was a casual fan back in '92 and listened to a few songs in Achtung Baby. I only saw them live last year and got hooked since then. Now, I'm rediscovering Achtung Baby, and by far, it's my fave!!!
wink.gif

I started listening to the band in 1983, when I first got cable, and of course, MTV. The New Year's Day video got me hooked on that song. At the time, I was a HUGE Asia fan, so the thought of liking someone else was absurd. I got over that after I went out and purchased War, and then October, and then Boy. Then, of course, was the MTV broadcast of the Red Rocks show. The Unforgettable Fire was the first album I WAITED to buy. I actually remember the exact moment I heard Pride on the radio for the first time. No other band had a chance after that. The next year was the first year I saw them live.

I think back at the anticipation of listening to The Unforgettable Fire for the first time, and it was so amazing. It was really quite different from the three previous albums. IMO, UF was U2's first "Zooropa". All of the bands in the 80's kept putting out the same music year after year after year. Everyone sounded alike (was still a great decade of music IMHO!!!). U2 was the first band I can remember to throw that stereotype out the window.

Great memories..thanks!

Hmmm, let's see.

My very first U2 purchase (actually, my mom bought it for me since I was 8) was Live at Red Rocks on vinyl!!!

Then, I had my dad by me WAR on tape (still have it in the car, it's all warped sounding!).

When I first got my CD player, the very first CD I bought was Unforgettable Fire. I don't know why I picked that one. I guess I thought it might sound the best on CD.

I distincly remember when POP was released because I was joking around telling everyone that because U2 were finally releasing a new album,it was a holiday. (Man, it felt like forever between Zooropa and POP). I think it was like March 4th, 1997. I remember that day because we had just moved into our new office space at my company and I remember declaring that day to be a holiday and there should be a parade (because of the release of the album) while my co-workers just stood there and
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Work like you don't need to
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one is watching

Originally posted by u2loopy:
I distincly remember when POP was released because I was joking around telling everyone that because U2 were finally releasing a new album,it was a holiday. (Man, it felt like forever between Zooropa and POP). I think it was like March 4th, 1997.

It sure was. I remember having just about no money and having to scrape enough together just to buy it. My parents said something like, "If you don't have that much money, why don't you just wait, and we can get it for you for your birthday?" But I would have none of that because my birthday wasn't unil March 9th...I was NOT waiting 5 days to get it!
biggrin.gif

------------------

The Unforgettable Fire

Early winter '84. I was 12 years old. The portable cassette player (walkman) was a big deal in those days. Every night I would steal the Unforgettable Fire cassette from my brother's room. Then I would steal my dad's portable cassette player. I would turn of the light, climb into bed and pull the sheets over my head. With the earphones on, I would attempt to play the tape as loud as possible. Sometimes I would put more covers on my bed to help with hiding the noise. More often than not, I would be caught by my parents because I was singing too loud. When you're a kid, sometimes you forget how loud you can sing when you are listening with earphones. I became Energizer and Durecell's best client, playing the portable cassette player on a nightly basis until Bono would sound less like Bono and more like Barry White. Back then, batteries lasted a couple of songs (so I thought).
In order for my brother to deal with the hostage situation he had to give me a copy of the Unforgettable Fire that very Christmas.
In order for my dad to deal with the hostage situation he had to give my a portable cassette player that Christmas too! ...with lots of batteries!!!
biggrin.gif

I can honestly say that I have listened to Bad more than any other U2 song thanks to my 12-year old self.
wink.gif

Joshua Tree was the very first CD I ever bought, on release day. The guy at the record store had to open the box to get one for me.... I didn't even have a CD player yet. Had to give it to a buddy to tape it for me. Had him leave 'Exit' off the tape, rather than go on to the other side. So, didn't recognize the song when they ripped into it on 5.2.87 in Worcester, MA. (Lesson learned: there are no "throwaways" on a U2 record.)

BTW, Rattle and Hum was my first DVD purchase... also before I had a player. :)

I have to admit, my brother got me hooked. It started out with me falling asleep to the tunes of Joshua Tree coming through the walls...but the first release that I think we both went through was Pop. It took him a while to get to like it, but whenever we'd go to visit my dad, and had to pull into a small town gas station, we'd make sure that we cruised in with the top down bumping Discotheque. My bro had some big Fly-style sunglasses and I thought he was the epitome of cool. We felt like we were the hippest people, jamming out to the sweet tunes, getting looks from all the people, their envy evident that they themselves were not Discothequing.

Love,
SloMo

At first , i had the soundtrack from Batman Forever , i got it 100-% free from one music shop , i liked the first song , i didn't care for the rest , i saw the music video , it was WoW ----- WOW !!!
smile.gif

Then I asked my father , what U2 records are good , he named Joshua Tree , then ... then it was ZOO Tv live from Sydney ,POP, Achtung Baby ( which i thought was a live concert ).................. Like i said I'm a fockin' POP fanatic , and i very dislike All That You Can't Leave Behind .

Joshua Tree

Ahhh.. so young I was.. in love with With or Without you.

Though I remember listening to the tape (lol) for the first time and replaying side one over and over again.

Now I "replay" side 2 over and over on CD.

Headphones_anim.gif

I'm such a new fan it makes me sick. ;)
Well.. let's see.. I am 13, so there aren't any,"Wow, I remember how SHOCKED I was when Zooropa came out! Whoo, boy!" comments. ;) I remember really liking Mysterious Ways a lot when I was little -- I was in the car a lot, so I heard the radio all the time.. so I heard it. A LOT. Enough that it stayed with me all these years and I still remembered how much I liked it and how good it was. :)
(My mom is also a really big fan.. she liked them since New Year's Day -- she was a MTV fanatic -- and got all excited when The Unforgettable Fire came out, and asked for it for Christmas and such. She is still a huge fan. :D She gave up on listening to music when she was raising me, so I never heard hardly any U2, so I'm not a U2 prodigy. LOL)
Anyway.. skip to 2000. I had avoided music for a long time because I hated pop so much. It was awful. I had only casually liked a few songs, and that was it. But then I was lured in to watch VH1 for a few minutes, and I saw a bad video or something, so I flipped away. Came back later, watched a few minutes, blah blah blah. Then (the big moment!) 1 or 2 days later, I saw Beautiful Day. I think I saw it from the beginning. I loved it right away. The video was BEAUTIFUL, the music was wonderful, and hey -- they had talent! And what was this? I sort of remembered in the back of my mind my mom being a big U2 fan (I don't remember how I found this out), and when I saw who it was, I was so surprised -- I liked U2, too?!
So I gradually liked it until I ALWAYS watched it when it was on. No matter what, I watched it. When Christmas rolled around, I got my mom ATYCLB and my father gave her Best Of. Somehow, we never listened to it and we had lost it -- both of them! So I didn't listen to the albums.
Anyway, I loved the video for weeks until Walk On. My mom was home and I changed the channel to MTV2, and she was talking about how Walk On was their new single and how good it was, and she had seen a snippet of the new video for it. Of course, MTV2 JUST starts playing Walk On, and she says,"That's the video!" and before Bono can utter one lyric, our power goes off. LOL -- I didn't see it for days, but I remembered I liked the video but I didn't like the song very much.
Then I heard it more and more and more, and I liked it a lot better, and I remember (this is so weird, I hadn't even listened to an album yet, really!) getting excited when they had this little commercial on MTV2 where they had a little 2 second clip of the Walk On video.
This went on until May 1st. What is May 1st? My first U2 concert ever. I went with my aunt (who also loves U2, but not nearly as much as me or my mom), and my mom. It was in Minneapolis, and we lived 5 hours away, so ALL the time, ALL those 5 hours in the car, was nonstop U2! ;) I loved it. We listened to Achtung Baby a lot, and The Joshua Tree and Best Of. I remember being really infatuated with Ultra Violet. We went, and I swear, within 2 minutes, I was hooked for a lifetime. I LOVED them. Needless to say, 5 songs in and I was just absolutely crazy about them -- the best stuff I'd ever heard. By the end of the concert, I was so in love with them and the music! It was so wonderful. I remember walking out to the car and thinking that was just the best experience of my life I'd ever had -- and ever WOULD have.
Needless to say, I went home and for days, I couldn't go a minute without listening to Achtung Baby over and over. There hasn't been a day since then (I'm not kidding) that I haven't heard U2 at least once. I was obsessed right away, I found Best Of and ATYCLB and was listening to them nonstop. Now I have all the albums, tons of memorabilia, I have gone to 8 concerts, and I own 2 U2 websites. :D :D Whew, that was long, wasn't it?

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Don't call me Shirley." - Larry

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

I became a fan shortly after the release of "Under A Blood Red Sky", so my first new U2 release was "Unforgettable Fire"...I will never forget that day. At lunch, I went to the record store across from my gih school and bought the album.
Later, I also bought the cassette version, which came in handy at the U2 concert. On Feb 25, 1985, my friends and I went to the U2 concert. During the song, Bono threw a wrist band he had been wearing into the audience. My friend caught it. I later traded him my cassette copy of "UF" for that wrist band and still have it!

I became a fan at the age of six in 1987 when my sister bought "The Joshua Tree." I was hooked forever after she got "Achtung Baby" for Christmas in '91. My first 2 U2 albums were the same ones, purchased in the same order, about seven years ago. I've purchased both "Pop" and "ATYCLB" on their release days. There's been no looking back since.

I had started to become a fan when ATYCLB was released and would have bought it in Nov. 2000, but I found out that my grandmother had bought it for me for Christmas, so I had to wait for almost 2 months after it was released to listen to it. DROVE ME NUTS! In the meantime I bought Achtung Baby though, which is still my favorite U2 album.

good thread!
i was ten years old when i got my first u2 album the joshua tree i kept asking my mum for it when i heard with or without you on the radio then i got achtung baby which i thought was awesome i was huge fan when i was 15.POP was a bit flat then but i love it now.

I became a fan during AB, so Zooropa was my first "new U2 release" experience. I was 15, and I got my mom to drive a friend and I and my then-boyfriend to a midnight sale to buy it. My friend and I wore U2 shirts and kept screaming and giggling. My boyfriend was also a real U2 nut but was embarassed by our antics. But hey, you're only a teenager for so long, might as well act the part! My friend got to spend the night at my house afterwards, but we believed the best way to fully experience an album is with headphones, so we actually each took a CD played into separate rooms of the house (so we wouldn't disturb each other) and put on headphones and listened. But you know, even though I can remember that much about it, I have no idea what my reaction to the album was! I don't remember ever not liking it, so I must have thought it was cool.

------------------
just as I am I awoke with a tear on my tongue

"Our Bono is indeed a mighty force. He walks into a room and all the air gets sucked right out. He is completely magnetic." -Shirley Manson

Back
Top Bottom