Favorite song from ZOOROPA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is you favorite song from ZOOROPA?

• Zooropa

Votes: 31 18.1%
  • Babyface

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Numb

• Lemon

Votes: 33 19.3%
  • Stay (Faraway, So Close)

Votes: 64 37.4%
  • Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crash Car

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Some Days Are Better Than Others

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • The First Time

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Dirty Day

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • The Wanderer

• Total voters
1. Lemon
2. Zooropa
3. Numb
4. Babyface
5. Dirty Day
6. Stay
7. The Wanderer
8. First Time
9. Daddy's Gonna Pay for your Crashed Car
10. Some Days are Better than Others

Definitely STAY :yes:
One of the best songs U2 have ever created

the very Best Of U2:

1.WITH OR WITHOUT YOU
2.ONE
3.PRIDE
4.SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY (LIVE)
5.WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME
6.I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND...
7.NEW YEAR'S DAY
8.STAY
9.UNTILL THE END OF THE WORLD
10.STARING AT THE SUN

:bono: :edge: :adam: :larry: :heart:

Bastian said:
Definitely STAY :yes:
One of the best songs U2 have ever created

the very Best Of U2:

1.WITH OR WITHOUT YOU
2.ONE
3.PRIDE
4.SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY (LIVE)
5.WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME
6.I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND...
7.NEW YEAR'S DAY
8.STAY
9.UNTILL THE END OF THE WORLD
10.STARING AT THE SUN

:bono: :edge: :adam: :larry: :heart:
Where's BAD (LIVE)?

My Very Best Of (Top 10):

1. One
2. Where The Streets Have No Name
3. With or Without You
4. Bad
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
6. Running To Stand Still
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Stay (Faraway, So Close)
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. October

Wow, just 10 amazing songs on a record - it would be like a shot of very expensive scotch!

Zooropa and Dirty Day are tied. I clicked one, then the other, one then the other. Finally after clicking on Zooropa I quickly pushed vote. :)

Dirty Day. :up:

I like Stay live (see: ZooTV Live from Sidney :heart:) but the studio version just sounds so...ordinary. Or something.

joyfulgirl said:
Dirty Day. :up:

I like Stay live (see: ZooTV Live from Sidney :heart:) but the studio version just sounds so...ordinary. Or something.
I used to think the same thing until I realized that the studio version of 'Stay' has this undercurrent of magic running through it. It's like part beat, but rythem, part momentum; and it creates this incredible springboard for a hope - a hope that somehow comes out of the dispair in which the song is written.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

I used to think the same thing until I realized that the studio version of 'Stay' has this undercurrent of magic running through it. It's like part beat, but rythem, part momentum; and it creates this incredible springboard for a hope - a hope that somehow comes out of the dispair in which the song is written.

Well now, that does add a new dimension to it for me... :happy:

Mostly it's the intro that has always seemed a bit clunky to me.

joyfulgirl said:

Well now, that does add a new dimension to it for me... :happy:

Mostly it's the intro that has always seemed a bit clunky to me.
I know what I wrote sounds like a bunch of fluff (probably because it is), but I honestly believe that fluff to be true! The song was originally multi-layered, with all kinds of added noise. They decided to strip it back, and it turned out that one of the guitar parts which was barely audible in the prior version, way in the background of all the noise, was the part that became the main focal point on the Zooropa version. It's so minimilist, but that's the beauty. It's like this subtle piece that manages to capture a feeling on one string. It's like a high-wire act put to music.

Last edited:
Like so many who have commented ? Stay is a gorgeous song. This would be a cool CD !

Stay - Re-mastered Best Of 90s
Stay - 2002 Craig Armstrong version
Stay - Acoustic Live version Stuck In A Moment single
Stay ? Piano Live version with fan Jonathan Granger at Chicago 1 Elevation Tour
Stay - Full Band Live version ? Dublin or Sydney Zooropa Tour
Stay - Alternate version from Far Away So Close Soundtrack
Stay ? Underdog Mix ? Melon album

Michael Griffiths said:

I know what I wrote sounds like a bunch of fluff (probably because it is), but I honestly believe that fluff to be true! The song was originally multi-layered, with all kinds of added noise. They decided to strip it back, and it turned out that one of the guitar parts which was barely audible in the prior version, way in the background of all the noise, was the part that became the main focal point on the Zooropa version. It's so minimilist, but that's the beauty. It's like this subtle piece that manages to capture a feeling on one string. It's like a high-wire act put to music.

fluffman is making me swoon

you should get paid for this kind of writing

Hi Michael ? I was thinking about your interpretation of the last verses of Stay further evidencing the scenario of a man in love with a woman who is stuck in an violent relationship and I thought of the lyrics of a few other U2 songs from the same time period. I started to imagine a possible fictional story between these two characters. I see - let?s call him - Tom who is out of town on a project for work. He staying at a hotel and he spends his evenings down in the bar drinking and recalling how is marriage remains in shambles (the story continued from Achtung Baby). There is a woman named Suzanne who is a frequent customer at the hotel bar. She comes there to escape from the world for a little bit at the end of her long day. She has a drink or two in order to recover somewhat after a gig of doing a private strip show. She is secretly stashing money away in hopes of one day being able to put together a down payment on the family restaurant back in Miami that her abusive husband had to sell in order to pay for his mother's medical bills. Suzanne believes that once he?s back doing what he loves he?ll treat her better. All the abuse will stop. He will change like night and day. She has somehow convinced her husband that she?s taking night classes. One night feeling particularly lonely and in need of conversation she introduces herself to Tom. She listens to his story (Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad). Afterwards Tom listens to her story (Conversation On A Bar Stool). They begin meeting each other for drinks each time that she comes in and a friendship between them grows. One evening Tom asks her dance and they get so lost in it that they lose track of time (Slow Dancing). As time goes by they begin to fall in love. There comes a point when Tom begs her to leave her abusive husband (Stay [Faraway So Close]). Suzanne starts to cry. Part of her wants to stay with Tom. Another part of her wants to stay with the dream of changing her husband once they?re back in Miami. She runs out of the bar. When she arrives back home her husband confronts her. He has been following her for the last week. He flies into rage as he recalls seeing her in Tom?s arms dancing together. He starts throwing her around the apartment. A glass shelf holding framed family photographs shatters. He yells at her accusing her of sleeping with Tom. Suzanne holds up her bleeding hands and arms as she pleads with him to stop. ?I have never slept with him? she screams and it slips out ?or with any of the men I do exotic dancing for. You see ? Honey ? I?m saving up money for us to move back to Miami and buy back the restaurant. We?re almost there.? All he hears is other ?men? and he explodes ? punching her so hard that she falls backwards and as she comes down she hits her head on the base of the coat rack stand. Blood pours out of the side of her mouth. Suzanne slips into a coma. Three o'clock in the morning - It's quiet and there's no one around - Just the bang and the clatter - As an angel runs to ground - Just the bang - And the clatter - As an angel - Hits the ground. Night after night passes back at the Hotel and Tom sees no sign of Suzanne. His work project comes to end. He leaves his work phone number with the bar tender for her.

TWO SHOTS OF HAPPY ONE SHOT OF SAD

Two shots of happy, one shot of sad
You think I'm no good, well I know I've been bad
Took you to a place, now you can't get back

Walked together down a dead end street
We were mixing the bitter with the sweet
Don't try to figure out what we might of had
Just two shots of happy, one shot of sad

I'm just a singer, some say a sinner
Rolling the dice, not always a winner
You say I've been lucky, well hell I've made my own
Not part of the crowd, but not feeling alone

Under pressure, but not bent out of shape
Surrounded, we always found an escape
Drove me to drink, but hey that's not all bad

Guess I've been greedy, all of my life
Greedy with my children, my lovers, my wife
Greedy for the good things as well as the bad

Maybe it's just talk, saloon singing
The chairs are all stacked, the swinging's stopped swinging
You say I hurt you, you put the finger on yourself
Then after you did it, you came crying for my help

I'm not complaining, baby I'm glad
You call it a compromise, well what's that

CONVERSATION ON A BARSTOOL

I'm tired, so tired I can hardly stand
I can't breath in the air in this city tonight
It's taken everything I had to give
And now, I just want to get out of here

But I won't be sorry if you won't be
And I don't want your pity or sympathy
But for forty five dollars I can make it
You wait and see

(He came from Miami to start out again
I hear that he's back with his mother ill
He told me he loved me and he wanted my child
But you know people change their minds) *

But I won't sorry if you won't be
And I don't want your pity or sympathy
But with forty five dollars I can make it
You wait and see

And I don't want your pity or your sympathy
But with forty five dollars I can make it
You wait and see

It isn't as if I was just anybody
On Broadway I danced for that Senator
They know me in London and they know me in Paris
I'm only talking because you look like you needed a friend

And I don't want your pity or your sympathy
But with forty five dollars I'm halfway
To Miami

*(Lyrics not included on her version but I believe they are included on Annie Ross? version)

SLOW DANCING

My love is cruel as the night
She steals the sun, and shuts out the light
All of my colors, they turn to blue
Win or lose

She does it slow dancing
Slow dancing
She does it slow dancing
All night long

Scarlet eyes and a see-through heart
She saw me coming right from the start
She picked me up, but had me down on my knees
Just a begging her, begging her please

Take me slow dancing
Slow dancing
She took me slow dancing
All night long

And I don't know why a man
Search for himself in his lovers eyes
No I don't know why a man
Sees the truth but needs the lies

My love is restless as the wind
She moves like a shadow across my skin
She left with my conscience, I don't want it back
It just gets in the way

If you wanna go slow dancing
Slow dancing
She took me slow dancing
All night long

Slow dancing
Slow dancing
Slow...

STAY (FARAWAY SO CLOSE!)

Green light, Seven Eleven
You stop in for a pack of cigarettes
You don't smoke, don't even want to
Hey now, check your change
Dressed up like a car crash
Your wheels are turning but you're upside down
You say when he hits you, you don't mind
Because when he hurts you, you feel alive
Oh now, is that what it is?

Red lights, gray morning
You stumble out of a hole in the ground
A vampire or a victim
It depends on who's around
You used to stay in to watch the adverts
You could lip synch to the talk show hosts

And if you look, you look through me
And when you talk, you talk at me
And when I touch you, you don't feel a thing

If I could stay... then the night would give you up
Stay... and the day would keep its trust
Stay... and the night would be enough
Faraway, so close
Up with the static and the radio
With satellite television
You can go anywhere
Miami, New Orleans
London, Belfast and Berlin

And if you listen I can't call
And if you jump, you just might fall
And if you shout, I'll only hear you

If I could stay... then the night would give you up
Stay... then the day would keep its trust
Stay... with the demons you drowned
Stay... with the spirit (that) I've found
Stay... and the night would be enough

Three o'clock in the morning
It's quiet and there's no one around
Just the bang and the clatter
As an angel runs to ground

Just the bang
And the clatter
As an angel
Hits the ground

Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad ? written: Bono ? Music: Bono & The Edge ? originally written for Frank Sinatra ? We first see this song being created by Bono and The Edge in Chicago during the ZOO TV Tour during Bill Clinton?s visit with U2 in Flanagan?s book - If God Will Send His Angels single (4:12)

Conversation On A Bar Stool ? written: Bono & The Edge ? originally for Marianne Faithful who recorded it on her 1998 A Perfect Stranger double album (4:15) ? also recorded by Hazel O?Connor on her 1995 Private Wars album (?) - first recorded by Annie Ross on the Short Cuts Soundtrack in 1993 (5:45)

Slow Dancing ? originally written for Willie Nelson - Stay (Faraway So Close) single (3:20)

U2Soar,

Wow, that's pretty heavy. What makes it even more sad is there is no resolution at the end of the story. We are left with a hard reality - a tough pill to swallow for any audience. It's a powerful concept, though, because of that.

I was just looking for 'Conversation on a Barstool' today on Kazaa, but couldn't find it. I didn't know it was recorded that many times by three different artists. Which is the best version of it? I've heard only one version, but I don't know which one. All I can say is it was amazing, and it actually shocks the hell out of me that Bono and Edge wrote it.

Hi Michael ? I tend to enjoy adding in songs (B-sides and their other projects from the same period) and changing the track order so it flows with a story / scene that I imagine ? picturing it as if it was movie. Also - I tend to favour leaving stories unresolved thereby allowing the listener / viewer with the opportunity to continue / complete the story themselves. Creative fun and it provides me with a new and different appreciation of a particular U2 album.

Annie Ross? version is a slow jazz-like song ? it starts off with only her vocals and a piano gently playing ? drums quietly come in at 1:30 and continue for the remainder of the song ? there?s a 30 second trumpet solo at 3:00 and it continues in the background for the rest of it ? a beautiful piece ? hopefully somebody with the technical know how can put a mp3 of it here. I would really like to hear Marianne Faithful?s version.

Tough one

MiniFly said:
Even though I absolutely adore that entire record, I had to go with Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car. That song just fricken rocks my socks.

:yes: It's a tough question, but I voted for Crashed Car. Lyrics are bit dark and the music is sooo damn good...especially, drums and bass. :drool:

Tough for me to decide...

A great underrated album overall... Excellent songs that first come to mind are: Zooropa, The First Time, Some Days Are Better Than Others, The Wanderer, Dirty Day, Lemon, Numb, Stay, :shrug:

That's 8 out of 10 songs that stand out in my mind.... Surely the album can't be as bad as most people think ;)

:scratch: But as for me, I'd chose Zooropa, because that seems to be the anthem of the ZooTV days, and the yin and yang of Zoo Station.

I'm honestly surprised more people don't like 'Crashed Car'. It's got such a brash groove. It's like electric acid plugged into rock n' roll, East German style (whatever all of that means).

But seriously, it's such a funky U2 song - one that really makes me proud of them. Very much experimentation gone right.

In truth I should have voted for Stay (Faraway So Close!) which I adore, but it's already far ahead and the wonderful Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car is getting too little attention, so my vote went there. Other likely candidates would have been Some Days Are Better Than Others and Numb but never, ever Lemon.

Michael Griffiths said:
I'm honestly surprised more people don't like 'Crashed Car'. It's got such a brash groove. It's like electric acid plugged into rock n' roll, East German style (whatever all of that means).

But seriously, it's such a funky U2 song - one that really makes me proud of them. Very much experimentation gone right.

:yes: Crashed Car's an absolute smasher :dance: :dance: :dance:

Loved the description :up:

Michael Griffiths said:

I really enjoy this song whenever I'm watching ZooTV Live in Sydney, but the album version always sounded kinda flat and dull to me.

Back
Top Bottom