E Storm, W In The Skies, F Cars, Smile . Should they have been on HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clawgrabber

War Child
Los Angeles, California (There Is No End To Love)
To me, these songs are important, and I think it begs the question of whether they should have been on HTDAAB. I would ask the same of Mercy, but at the fear that this would become a love/hate Mercy thread, I will omit that from the question.

If these songs DO belong, what songs would you omit from the album to make room?

For my money, Electrical Storm is in my top 3 U2 songs from the 2000s, hands down.

But that is just me.

I don't really like Fast Cars. Especially at the end of the album.

The other songs I would have been fine with on it.

Fast Cars is a very nice song, and I think it does belong to the album. And for the rest:

I love electrical storm

I love smile

I love WITS.

To me, they have a typical style of U2 songs, full of joy, hope, warmth, confidence for the future. They could light up a day. Although, for the same reason, some people tend to hate them....:|

I'm not sure the idea of putting them all in album could work, I mean, that would make the album less colourful, and may be too pop?

I'd leave HTDAAB the way it is....I love to re-arrange my play list very often, though.:wink:

Well for starters neither Electrical Storm nor Window in the Skies could have been on Hutdab because they weren't mad in the same era.

Fast Cars was on Hutdab in some countries, and Smile was a outtake from memory.

Electrical Storm worked well as the new track on the second Best Of. I didn't want that album, but I was glad to get the single, which had great live B-sides. There was no reason for it to make a second appearance, though I do wish they'd give it a try live.

WITS doesn't fit with the style of HTDAAB, in my opinion. Thematically, it does somewhat, but again, I think it served its purpose as a new song on a greatest hits disc.

Fast Cars would've fit, and it was included on the deluxe edition, but I'm not sorry it wasn't included on the standard album. It's a decent song, and it was fun live, but

I definitely think Smile should've been on the album. It's a gorgeous song, probably one of my favorites of the post-2000 era for U2. I would've put it between All Because of You and A Man and a Woman, or after Miracle Drug and put SYCMIOYO later in the album, somewhere around One Step Closer and OOTS.

Some of them, yes.

I'd switch "Crumbs" for "Electrical storm", easily, because it's a much better song in the overall and it's much more emotive because of its constant crescendos and up/down's.
"Smile" it could've turn a great b-side for SYCMIOYO, but no more than that.
"Fast cars" would be great on the album, maybe after "All because of you", in the middle of the tracklist.
"Mercy" should've been included in the album because of its non-typical structure, but because its theme and guitar work fits perfectly in HTDAAB. I never understood why it was dropped ("unfinished song" and "no more than 60min of running" reasons doesn't work for me).
"Window in the skies" has lots of clues from both ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but it would never fit in none of them.

elevated_u2_fan said:

I was actually thinking LMel...

:hmm:

george_costanza.jpg

"I'm T-Bone!"

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Electrical Storm worked well as the new track on the second Best Of. I didn't want that album, but I was glad to get the single, which had great live B-sides. There was no reason for it to make a second appearance, though I do wish they'd give it a try live.

WITS doesn't fit with the style of HTDAAB, in my opinion. Thematically, it does somewhat, but again, I think it served its purpose as a new song on a greatest hits disc.

Fast Cars would've fit, and it was included on the deluxe edition, but I'm not sorry it wasn't included on the standard album. It's a decent song, and it was fun live, but

I definitely think Smile should've been on the album. It's a gorgeous song, probably one of my favorites of the post-2000 era for U2. I would've put it between All Because of You and A Man and a Woman, or after Miracle Drug and put SYCMIOYO later in the album, somewhere around One Step Closer and OOTS.

I like your idea about Smile, I'd re-arrange HTDAAB like this:

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo
3. Crumbs from Your Table
4. Miracle Drug
5. Original of the Species
6. Yahweh
7. Love and Peace or Else
8. Fast Cars
9. All Because of You
10. A Man and a Woman
11. Smile
12. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
13. One Step Closer

Sometimes fits better as the emotional climax of the album as opposed to the "3rd track ballad" and gives One Step Closer more meaning as well.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I like your idea about Smile, I'd re-arrange HTDAAB like this:

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo
3. Crumbs from Your Table
4. Miracle Drug
5. Original of the Species
6. Yahweh
7. Love and Peace or Else
8. Fast Cars
9. All Because of You
10. A Man and a Woman
11. Smile
12. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
13. One Step Closer

Sometimes fits better as the emotional climax of the album as opposed to the "3rd track ballad" and gives One Step Closer more meaning as well.

I would've prefer something like:

1. Love & peace or else
2. Vertigo
3. Miracle drug
4. Sometimes you can't make it on your own
5. Fast cars
6. All because of you
7. City of blinding lights
8. Electrical storm
9. One step closer
10. Mercy
11. Original of the species
12. Yahweh

I like it like this:
Vertigo
All Because of You
Fast Cars
COBL
Sometimes You...
Love and Peace
One Step Closer
Original of the Species
Miracle Drug
Mercy
Crumbs...
Yahweh ( you gotta have the talk with God at the end, its tradition!)

I never heard smile, if you'd like to share: elevation622@yahoo.com
Thanks!

:drool:

1. Love And Peace Or Else
2. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
3. Vertigo
4. Are You Gonna Wait Forever
5. Original Of The Species
6. All Because Of You
7. A Man And A Woman
8. Crumbs From Your Table
9. Fast Cars
10. Mercy
11. One Step Closer
12. Yahweh

Perhaps worth considering, though COBL is missing. Doesn't seem to fit anywhere.

I am quite simply unable to comprehend E Storm & W Skies fitting anywhere on the H-Bomb, so they never really entered the equation for me.

Back
Top Bottom