Does anyone know what U2's least selling album is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkmoon1021

Acrobat
Is it October? Any statistical scholars out there know? What about WAIA? I know it's an EP but I believe it was on the album charts.

Thanks in advance.

I reckon Pop

cause it made little old lady pensioners with no teeth cringe when they heard Bono scream Mofo Mofo down the stereo, and it reminded them of Hugh Hefner (unfort) when Playboy Mansion was on....and prob had them choking when he sang 'and a fucked up world it is too' - so no, the Bingo clubs, Shackle Old Home and the Nunery didnt particpate in buying the album

as for the younger ones.....I tink ears were covered at the thought of Edge humping his guitar in a few musical riffs and again with Nono screamin Mofo Mofo..........

the album was too upside-down-in-yer-face-and-plopped-on-ur-floor- to have been sold so vigourously.....

ya know?

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 02-20-2002).]

Definitely not Pop!!! That sold millions! Major success on the sales front, I'd say WAIA, album wise, I'd agree again, October. The cover stinks
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by AM:
I agree, the cover stinks, even the band admits it

Yeah.. Island tried to get them to change the cover even! Which is not a surprise.. super ugly cover -- definitely U2's worst.

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
Yeah.. Island tried to get them to change the cover even! Which is not a surprise.. super ugly cover -- definitely U2's worst.

I like it...

And if it sold least because of the cover picture, that doesn't say much for the record buying public...

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

I guess it's wrong to include Wide Awake since it is only a North American release...although I saw it in London when I was there...

I know POP sold at least 5 million. I bet you it's October. If you want to get really technical it's probably Passengers.

I read somewhere, about a year and a half ago that October was the least sold album of U2's career. Wide Awake in America isn't actually an album. I have U2 singles that contains more songs and long running times.

Thanks for the info Dr. Who...any idea of the worldwide totals for Passengers? I'd be surprised if it went platnum....

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021:
Thanks for the info Dr. Who...any idea of the worldwide totals for Passengers? I'd be surprised if it went platnum....

The album sold about 20,000 copies in the U.S. its first week - reaching I think #72 on the Billboard charts. It hit #12 in the U.K.

Of course, with those type of first week sales and no additional promotional push, the album didn't even make Gold (in the U.S.) let along Platinum. I'm not sure of the worldwide sales - I'd estimate 1 million copies total at the most.

wow, thank for the info DoctorWho!

------------------
Love will make you mine...
Creep up from behind...
Get you jumping out of your skin...
Angel, it's sink or swim.

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021:
Last one I'll ask....Which do you think so less The MDH sdtk or Passengers? Thanks in advance...

I think MDH sdtk charted at #101 its first week on the U.S. Billboard charts. Usually this means sales of around 15,000 copies. So that's even less than OS1. Plus, I didn't really see it make a dent on any other charts around the world, which OS1 did. As such, I believe MDH sold less.

WORLD-WIDE sales information for U2 albums.
These figures were reported by the New Zealand Polygram office on March 8, 1997 when ?POP? was released.

?Boy? - 2,490,467
?October? - 2,360,717
?War? - 6,551,395
?Under A Blood Red Sky? - 7,556,582
?The Unforgettable Fire? - 6,255,826
?Wide Awake In America? - 1,743,610
?The Joshua Tree - 14,805,257
?Rattle And Hum? - 9,274,502
?Achtung Baby? - 9,763,275
?Zooropa? - 6,079,158

It should be mentioned that the above numbers reported from 1997 from a branch office of Polygram are most likely very outdated information for several albums. Note that ACHTUNG BABY sold 10 million copies before the end of 1992 according to the Fox U2 special on in December 1992. Also notice that ACHTUNG BABY was certified for 8 million in sales in the USA alone by 1997. It was only at 4 million at the end of 1992 in the USA.
Joshua Tree is widely reported to have hit 14 million by the end of 1987. It went on to sell another 6 million copies in the USA from 1987-1995 and unknown number of albums outside the USA.
For exact sales on all U2 albums in the USA, go to www.riaa.com and go to Gold and Platinum awards and type in U2 under the artist catagory. You will get U2s certified sales in the USA although it should be mentioned that much of this has not been updated in almost 7 years. Also remember that most U2 album sales come from OUTSIDE the USA!
Right now, there is no accounting process to certify albums on a worldwide basis, but that may change in the future.
Europe now has a certification library, but only includes albums released after Jan 1, 1994. Its at www.ifpi.org.
Canada has information only for the past two years, but some U2 totals were given for older albums in Canada. This at www.cria.ca.
There is a site for British certifications but I cannot remember it at the moement. If someone knows, please post it here.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Plus, I didn't really see it make a dent on any other charts around the world, which OS1 did. As such, I believe MDH sold less.

i believe it was because the movie kept not coming out and not coming out, but they still released the soundtrack.
confused.gif

If you want sales info, ask the RIGHT forum (Where the Album Has a Name)!
biggrin.gif
However, I guess we can answer this question here.

Here's some info. I tracked down in 1997 (note the year):

WORLD-WIDE sales information for U2 albums.
These figures were reported by the New Zealand Polygram office on March 8, 1997 when ?POP? was released.

?Boy? - 2,490,467
?October? - 2,360,717
?War? - 6,551,395
?Under A Blood Red Sky? - 7,556,582
?The Unforgettable Fire? - 6,255,826
?Wide Awake In America? - 1,743,610
?The Joshua Tree - 14,805,257
?Rattle And Hum? - 9,274,502
?Achtung Baby? - 9,763,275
?Zooropa? - 6,079,158

I have read that JT's sales are now greater than 18 million worldwide and that sales for AB are over 12 million. It is estimated that "Pop" sold about as well as "Zooropa" (i.e., 6 million worldwide). Also, "The Best Of" and ATYCLB have both sold over 10 million worldwide. All of U2's albums, including BOTH versions of the "Best Of," have been certified at least Platinum (1 million copies) in the U.S.

Therefore, the total number of U2 albums sold worldwide is over 100 million copies. Keep in mind that the success of ATYCLB has helped catalog sales considerably. At one point, all 12 U2 releases were in the Irish Top 60, for example!

As far as the question above, it does appear, based on the 1997 data, that "October" is U2's least sold album (not counting WAIA, which was considered an EP).

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 02-20-2002).]

?Boy? - 2.7
?October? ? 2.8
?War? - 7.7
?Under A Blood Red Sky? ? 8.3
?The Unforgettable Fire? ? 7.2
?Wide Awake In America? ? 2.2
?The Joshua Tree ? 16.5
?Rattle And Hum? ? 10.5
?Achtung Baby? - 11
?Zooropa? - 7.7
?Pop? ? 5.5
?All That You Can?t ?? ? 13
All sales in Millions

Source ? The Sun ? British newspaper 8.28.01.
(Bono mentions The Sun newspaper in LNOE so it must be true.)

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\
http://eliv8.fws1.com/

hahhaa you all thought october was the least selling!

october is a really good album. i think it's underappreciated.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by Eliv8:
?Boy? - 2.7
?October? ? 2.8
?War? - 7.7
?The Joshua Tree ? 16.5
?Rattle And Hum? ? 10.5
?Achtung Baby? - 11
?Zooropa? - 7.7
?Pop? ? 5.5
All sales in Millions

I have to say that some of these figures look suspect e.g. All That.... is currently at around 10.4 million, . Of course back catalogue sales will have increased since August of last year e.g. Joshua Tree now at 18 million. About time U2/record company came clean on actual worldwide sales for each album.

Mike

Well Europe has the IFPI, the USA has RIAA, the British the BPI, and Canada the CRIA for certification of album sales. Its time for a firm to do this on a Global scale. In any event the Record Company did release the sales total to the end of 2001 for ATYCLB which was 10 million. Its closing in on 10.4 million now. This was in Billboard magazine last week.

Originally posted by Eliv8:
?Boy? - 2.7
?October? ? 2.8
?War? - 7.7
?The Joshua Tree ? 16.5
?Rattle And Hum? ? 10.5
?Achtung Baby? - 11
?Zooropa? - 7.7
?Pop? ? 5.5
All sales in Millions

U2.com reported 18 million for JT, so it is definitely higher than what The Sun listed above. Also, as STING2 stated, ATYCLB has now reached about 10.4 million in sales - not 13. Furthermore, I've seen quotes for "Pop" higher than just 5.5 million (some stating as high as 7 million). Also, it seems The Sun forgot to list the "Best Of" - a rather HUGE selling album in U2's catalog.

I guess it is really hard to gauge, especially the pre soundscan albums. I'm sure a lot of smaller stores are still not tracked by soundscan today, so who really knows? I would find it hard to believe that Boy has undersold October though. It's unfortunate though. Song for song I like Boy more, but they sound so much better as a band (particularly Adam & Larry) on October. It's definitely their most unappreciated album IMHO...

Worldwide sales figures are the shipment are usually a shipment total at a certain time from the record company. In general it seems no one has been keeping up to much with the accounting from older albums, so their first year sales seem to be repeated over and over again. Some albums have small sales after the first year like POP, but a classic like Joshua Tree continues to sale millions after the first year as noted by www.riaa.com in the USA. Its the popular classic U2 albums like Achtung and Joshua that have definitely been underreported when it comes to Global sales.
As far as the band and record company are concerned, an album shipped is an album sold. Shipments while slightly ahead of actual sales are based on sales. Distortions only happen when retailers overestimate demand before and album is released and order more albums than they can sale. This happened with the Backstreet Boys last studio album. The album shipped 8 million copies due to the popularity of the group then and the fact that Christmas was only a few weeks away. No more albums have been shipped because the album has yet to sell 6 million copies with about 2 million copies still on shelves or in back rooms at record shops. Eventually this extra stock will probably be sold, but probably to record clubs or a big sale. But the Backstreet Boys have already recieved the royalties for these albums that have yet to be sold to consumers.
The above case is rare though and only happens before or just when and album is released. After a few weeks of release, retailers only order what they need based on the past month of sales.

Back
Top Bottom