Do You Think U2 Plan Their "Leaks"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also...
just for your interest... :)

from U2.COM:
http://u2.com/singles/s_feb_1997/single_sub_detail.html

"Afterlife
The track appeared on U2's album Pop and was performed live for the first time during the PopMart tour opener in Las Vegas on April 25, 1997. On October 26, 1996 a 30-second snippet of Discotheque, taken from a promotional EPK, was released on the Internet by Hungarian fan Martin. On December 27th, the full MP3 was available on fan site Interference.com. These premature releases of the first single from the upcoming album and airplay of the Internet releases by radio stations around the world moved up the official radio airplay date.

During the PopMart tour Discotheque was performed as the first song in U2's encore after their descent from the lemon. Dream Theatre had performed Discotheque live in concert where the singer mumbled most of the lyrics. The following artists recorded a version of Discotheque including Intra-Venus on We Will Follow: A Tribute To U2; Studio 99 on The Best of U2-A Tribute; and The Celebrity All-Star Jam on Hot Dance Hits 97.

The song debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard Modern Rock chart and was certified Gold by the RIAA on April 7, 1997"

Tip Top Prince said:
If the band WANTED to get snippets or "leaks" out into the public, why would they pretend it was 'leaked'? Why not just post in on their website? Give it to a DJ or two, and say "here you go, a snippet/demo of our next song"

What purpose would it serve, to pretend they didn't really want it to get out?
What purpose would it serve, you ask? It would generate publicity, as their would be a STORY. Sometimes it's not what the story is persay; it's enough that there is, plainly, a story. For example:

"The New U2 Album Has Been Leaked" or in this case,

"Storm Approaching" (taken directly from youtwo.net)

As a story, it would work better, as headlines and news snippets get attention fast; they beg people to talk about them. People like talking for the sake of talking. The word of mouth travels much faster when more eyes and ears are involved.:)

Last edited:
Does anyone remember how those early versions sounded?...how different were they. I remember Wake Up Dead Man had some keyboard sound in it.

Swan269 said:
Does anyone remember how those early versions sounded?...how different were they. I remember Wake Up Dead Man had some keyboard sound in it.

I just dug somethings out of the archive ;) .... of course... if you're interested. hehe

The following files can be found on NewMedia by searching for ' U2 EPK ':

U2 EPK (Interference.com) disco.mp3
U2 EPK (Interference.com) piano.mp3
U2 EPK (Interference.com) spike.mp3
U2 EPK (Interference.com) u2epk.mp3
U2 EPK (Interference.com) wakeup.mp3
U2 EPK (Interference.com) wakeup2.mp3

Enjoy,

Joel

Wake up dead man?

First, what's EPK?
Second, are you talking about that there's more versions of Wake up dead man than the Salome Outtakes?!! :scratch:

Someone please enlighten me. :banghead: :reject: :help:

Re: Wake up dead man?

theSoulfulMofo said:
First, what's EPK?
Second, are you talking about that there's more versions of Wake up dead man than the Salome Outtakes?!! :scratch:

Someone please enlighten me. :banghead: :reject: :help:

EPK = Electronic Press Kit ( a video distributed during the pre-POP release... )

Wake Up Dead Man has existed for quite some time, pre-pop, and has apparently been re-worked by the band MANY times. If you LOOK at the cover of Zooropa, you'll see that hidden in the purple text background id reference to 'wake up deadman'.

Joel

Oh... ok... thanks, Elvis!

I never knew about the EPK.

I always thought the Salome Outtake Mix3 version of WUDM was the best I've heard ... with those two vocals coming out each speaker.... I always thought that was really cool.

I heard the POP version first... but after sampling some Axtung Beibi, I was kinda disappointed with what they did afterwards.... Personally I would have like to see where they could've gone with the Salome Axtung Beibi WUDM mix 3. :D :D

According to Flangan's "U2 At The End of the World", WUDM was one of the key tracks during the Zooropa sessions. As was If God Will Send His Angels.

As we all no, neither made Zooropa but both were later reworked for Pop.

Michael Griffiths said:

What purpose would it serve, you ask? It would generate publicity, as their would be a STORY. Sometimes it's not what the story is persay; it's enough that there is, plainly, a story. For example:

"The New U2 Album Has Been Leaked" or in this case,

"Storm Approaching" (taken directly from youtwo.net)

As a story, it would work better, as headlines and news snippets get attention fast; they beg people to talk about them. People like talking for the sake of talking. The word of mouth travels much faster when more eyes and ears are involved.:)

So you're saying that there's more interest in the STORY because it's perceived to be 'ill-gotten-booty'?

Interesting...

Consider this: If the group/management considered the song incomplete, and therefore of lesser quality, I would put to you that they would DEFINITELY NOT want it in the public domain, if they thought it would put people off from buying their next release.

I can understand the theory, but I don't think it's quite as obvious as y'all are suggesting. :)

Elvis said:

U2 EPK (Interference.com) disco.mp3
U2 EPK (Interference.com) piano.mp3
U2 EPK (Interference.com) spike.mp3
U2 EPK (Interference.com) u2epk.mp3
U2 EPK (Interference.com) wakeup.mp3
U2 EPK (Interference.com) wakeup2.mp3

Enjoy,

Joel [/B]

Hi Elvis,

I'm searching for EPK stuff on New Media... Are most of those files under 1MB?

Thanks,
thesoulfulmofo

I agree with you on this... I think some of this stuff at least was "accidentally on purpose" leaked out - I think I put that in another thread somewhere. Another point too, if they put it up on u2.com, then that would have to be the official version -- if it is "leaked" out, or as in the case of ES several versions are leaked out - then they would have a chance to hear some of the feedback from fans on what they thought, and if one version is not much appreciated they could easily say "well that one wasn't finished."

It's like a trial balloon in politics, I think.

But hey, use what you've got, I say. And it woke us all up, didn't it?

Back
Top Bottom