Deaf U2 fans? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2002, 10:04 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dougal55:
A question for Zonelistener....where is this Arena you work for? I think that is so cool to know that the arena has set aside an area for "hearing impaired" people...I just wish we had that sort of thing right here in UK for concerts!

anyway cheers my dears!

dougal
The arena is in St. Paul, Minnesota. The understanding I had from the conversation at training was that it is something that is being required of all venues under the civil disabilities act (sp?) - pretty cool. I will find my manual later and post the info.

Old 05-01-2002, 11:06 AM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 12:38 PM
Olive....

Yeah I have mentioned the story to you in this forum before....Hope you can find the article....I didnt save it too!

Hey Bono_man! Good to see you here! Im grand, mate, Im grand! Been busy going to parties and that you know....I had a date last week for first time in years...that went well too! Got invited to 3 parties (one tomorrow, one on Friday and one on Sunday - we have a day off next Monday - Bank Holiday woohoo!!!). Im possibly going to just one though cos Im not sure whats happening with my pals so gotta check with them first...Im bound to get legless though!

Then theres the matter of preparing for Newcastle Utd's trip to Europe.....Im very tempted to follow them there next season though it wont be easy to get tickets! They are always snapped up very quickly, will keep you informed about the team!
plus a trip to Dublin in July! Yahoo! Cant wait! Will Rosa still be there btw? Hope you are well yourself.....see ya mate!

Hey zonelistener....thats right...it is something to do with the civil disabilities act...I have heard about that myself from my pals here in UK....We dont have that kind of thing here which is a shame.....but the British deaf people are now campaigning for the Government to officially recognise British Sign Language. Recognition would help a lot in the same way as in America....

cheers my dears

dougal

Old 05-01-2002, 12:56 PM   #23
Gunslinger

Local Time: 05:38 AM
*raises hand*

I am hearing impaired. Although, my hearing loss (bilateral hearing loss since birth) is not what you might think. With hearing aids, I am fortunate to have near 95% "normal" hearing range. It was not until I was 4 that it was discovered that I was hearing impaired. Thankfully and amazingly, my speech development was not affected by this. In 1975, at the age of 4, I became one of the youngest persons to of been fitted with hearing aids in my province (BC, Canada). Only recently, in 1999, did I switch from analog to digital hearing aids. And again, I was fortunate to adapt to the new technology. Because of this, listening to music (lots of U2!) was like a new experience all over again. For "normal" hearing people, imagine switching from listening to cassette tapes all your life to compact discs. That is basically what I experienced in 1999 with my hearing.

Hearing aids have been an everyday part of my life since I was 4. I am blessed that I can hear as well as I do.

PS-

Dougal, I am a Newcastle Ut. fan myself way over here in British Columbia, Canada! Shearer's getting a hat-trick against Southampton on saturday to claim the scoring title! Glad to see he is back on form.

[This message has been edited by Roland of Gilead (edited 05-01-2002).]
Old 05-02-2002, 03:20 AM   #24
Thom's Bitch

Local Time: 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dougal55:

Will Rosa still be there btw?
That girl aint goin' nowhere!!

------------------
"Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars. Carved into stone on the face of earth"
- One Tree Hill

jonedwards80@hotmail.com
Old 05-02-2002, 05:14 AM   #25
War Child

Bono_man....

So Rosa aint going nowhere, huh? Thats great! I hope to bump into her while Im in town....im intrigued to know how she's done so far in Dublin....its been over 6 months since she arrived hasnt it? From what I have heard so far here in this forum, it seems that she's done amazingly well!!

Hey Roland! Thanks for your story! I always had hearing aids since I was 2 (when my mother found out my deafness) but with different kinds through the years all of them analogue. Hmmm, you put a very good case of digital hearing aids to me...Im tempted to try them out but they are exorbitantly expensive here though. I know a guy who got one and he got it for 2,500 (about US$3250)!! Maybe try it out when I have enough money....

Yeah, I quite agree Roland...I feel blessed too that I can hear as well as I do......if it wasnt for that, I wouldnt be the kind of U2 fanatic that I am now!

Woo-hoo! Another Newcastle Utd fan! Way to go Roland! Oh yeah Shearer is on blistering form and he's ours, not England's anymore! Shearer still dont want to be picked for the World Cup so that he can concentrate on the team he loves and supported since he was a kid! Good for him I say!

cheers my dears!

dougal
Old 05-08-2002, 11:59 AM   #26
War Child

Hi to all especially Nellie and Roland!!!!

Hey, I thought Id let you know this.....I have written an email to Ned O'Hanlon of Dreamchaser last week about the issue of subtitles/close-captions being missing from U2 Boston Live DVD and arguing for inclusion of them on future U2 DVD releases. This is what Ned had said in his reply:

Quote:
Dear Chris,

Thank you for your comments. I regret that this particular product was not
closed-captioned. We had intended to add closed captions but we literally
ran out of time. We had such a huge amount of work to do to meet the
delivery deadline that some elements were not possible. Closed captioning
was one of these. I completely understand your frustration and, should we be
involved in future U2 DVD projects, undertake to include closed-captioning.

Best wishes

Ned

Dreamchaser Productions"
Well, thats disappointing to know that no time was taken to include subtitles on U2 Boston Live DVD. Thats his excuse, really but I do bloody hope that future U2 DVDs will include subtitles/close-captions. We'll see what happens....

dougal
Old 06-12-2002, 01:19 AM   #27
Refugee

i meant to post in this thread a while ago but i got busy...

believe it or not, i'm partially deaf also. of course you can be deaf an appreciate u2's music even if you have to turn the volume up(i do this when maybe i shouldn't be, lol, but to a worthy reason)! I've worn hearing aides since i was 5 an have had my ups/downs. i admit they are a pain in the ass! always breakin down when you don't expect it. i had to go get a new ear mold impression done but they said i had to wait cuz i had ear wax on my ear drum

they work great when they do. the technology is great these days for deaf people i'll tell you. they have special loops with a microphone built in it that go around your neck an plug into cell phones so that when you switch to telephone mode on your hearin aide, you can only hear whoever is on your cell nothin else. my hearing aides sure get lota feedback from my cell using it the normal way which is just impossible. most phones do have loops available. i know nokia has one which i use, an motorola also.

i really like watching rattle an hum dvd with subtitles, heh.

i used to have a suite mate in a on-campus dorm, i'd play the music loud an lots til he hated it, lol. he only likes eminem. says u2 is too much love music.

i like playin it loud so i can hear everything in greater detail, heh.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:13 AM   #28
War Child

Hi Jesse!

Thanks for posting your reply!

Yeah I quite agree.....I like to play my music out loud so I can hear as much detail as possible!

Hey have you (or anyone who replied in this thread who are deaf) been to any U2 gigs last year? Were you able to follow the concert(s)? I was able to follow the music but not always though as I sometimes struggle to listen when the audience is so loud!

Cheers

dougal
Old 06-15-2002, 03:43 AM   #29
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by dougal55

Hey have you (or anyone who replied in this thread who are deaf) been to any U2 gigs last year? Were you able to follow the concert(s)? I was able to follow the music but not always though as I sometimes struggle to listen when the audience is so loud!
yes i did, 3 times(Phoenix in April, Las Vegas and Los Angeles #3 in November) i have the same prob as you do. sometimes i'd turn my hearing aides off cuz they weren't needed. i can mainly hear the music, not much else.