Bono's Voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I can't believe that some of you are saying that his voice sounds strong!

It is anything but, I am amazed at how much this man has let it slide. Thankfully he is a wonderful musician and had learned how to cope and use it to his advantage, but their is no doubt that his voice is MUCH weaker than it used to be.

There are several points in Vertigo that younger Bono would have stole the show. He can no longer do that. The only thing left to decide is whether or not you think that is a bad thing.

I for one don't. Vertigo is brilliant.

Okay, yes Bono can work miracles with music, but no, he's not getting any younger. :wink:

No man can keep a voice like they had when they were 20 when they are, what, 42? But, only few men can rock hard at that age and accept they are getting older while still making the best music in the world. Bono is that kinda man.

Dalton said:

You mean the parts of the song when he can't get solid tone and ends up sounding shrill?

Hardly his best moments.

He sounds like he's singing from the soul like he always does and that's all that matters to me. :shrug: To each his/her own.

Bono sounds as incredible to me as he always has. As a matter of fact, I would say that he has become more innovative and highly evolved as a singer, even if he technically can't hit as high of a note as he used to.

In art, it's not the tool you use so much as it is how you use it.

I will admit there were songs on "Pop" where he sounded vocally weak, but on ATYCLB I felt he was much stronger. Yes, he was scratchy on songs, but I really get the feeling that was intentional (like with the studio version of "One"). He used that effect to add some depth to the song.

However, with ES, HTBA and now "Vertigo", it sounds like Bono's voice is back in full force. I've been impressed since the 2002 Grammy's, where he belted out "Walk On". And the 2003 Oscars he was equally impressive. I would say he's close to the JT era.

R&H era Bono was by far his most rich and full voice, with a ridiculous range - but this cost Bono dearly (including many canceled shows and his voice going out, sometimes mid-show). I'd rather see Bono tone it down a bit and save his voice, than belt it out fully and have his voice go out.

But I really have to disagree - his voice is the best its sounded (to my ears) in ages. I didn't even think he could hit the notes he did on songs like "Wild Honey" or HTBA!

i'm loving the guitar work on "Vertigo" too much to even listen to Bono right now.

we all know that studio recording are everytime good, bono's voice is helped by lots of effects, but actually it doesn't seem that his voice is weaker, it is at the same level of the last record, we have to wait for the first live performances and most of all for the tour, when he will sing 2 hours every 2 days, it is to soon to give a complete judgement over bono's voice

You are doing ONE big mistake! You are comparing him to when he was 25 years old! But you should compare him to other singers, and then he's actually one of the best out there!

And this time around he is even better than last time.

The delivery of the verse is fast and very hard to do if you ever tried singing.

Lighten up.:huh:

ElectricalVoice said:
You are doing ONE big mistake! You are comparing him to when he was 25 years old! But you should compare him to other singers, and then he's actually one of the best out there!

And this time around he is even better than last time.

What about bruce springsteen, he's been around longer and his voice and energy haven't changed that much. I'm sure there are others too. The thing with bono is that a lot of people want him to sing like he did during the late 80s but during those years he was taking it to the limit. I've been listening to some boots from the mid 80s and his voice is softer, sometimes delicate, bono himself said in an interview that he sounded like a girl. Like when you get stretch marks on your skin, some people's skin can resist it and others can't.

I think that is one of the reasons why he lost "that voice" because maybe it was too much for him. Now add all the years of smoking, drinking and singing, and these are the results. In my opinion his voice now is ok, but saying that he sounds "as incredible as he always has"? i know everybody has their own opinion but let's be objective please.

One more thing, english is not my firt language so i'm sorry for the grammar and spelling mistakes.

jvferrandiz said:
In my opinion his voice now is ok, but saying that he sounds "as incredible as he always has"? i know everybody has their own opinion but let's be objective please.
Interesting.

I always thought that there was something wrong with my ability to form my own opinions, but I could never quite put my finger on it.

Thanks for clearing it up. ;)

You are welcome, and don't worry i'm just trying to help here. In the end you'll see that i'm right. ;)

Back
Top Bottom