Bonos Freedom Award in Memphis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bajagirl

The Fly
Anyone gonna be there besides me, nik, epp, shulvcats and angie?

We will send in a report and piccies for you all as soon as we get back.

IF you are going to be there, email me so we can meet up

Baja

I wanted to go w/ Eep soooo bad but I can't. I sent her a question to ask Bono during the Q&A part though. Take good pics, say hi to Bono for me and have a blast!

i live in memphis but i didn't have the money for tickets. it's a shame too as i live just like a mile away from the national civil rights museum. :(

i was gonna buy my husband and me tickets as a present but he told me to save my money for the album/tour, that he'd rather see the band in concert than see bono, when we probably won't get to meet him at the awards.

A word of caution...

Not trying to freak people out or anything, but I just felt I should share this article from today's paper:

Shootings on road alarm Memphis

A dozen cars have been shot at on a busy city road in Memphis this year, police said, and school buses have shifted to other routes. No one has been injured, but 11 vehicles were damaged.

Most of the reported shootings occured in August and September. The most recent was Thursday, when a man reported a window in his van was shot out as he slowed for a red light.

Police are conducting heavy patrols along Sam Cooper Boulevard, which connects midtown Memphis to I-40.

Be safe out there guys...

goat

Alright, since no one else is stepping up, I'll throw out some bones to the beggars.

Last night was beautiful. Memphis celebrated the accomplishments of two extraordinary men: Bono, and Rep. John Lewis. You know Bono, but might not know John Lewis - I didn't. Mr. Lewis was one of the organizers of several marches and bus strikes protesting segregation during the early 60's, and helped lead the march at the Pettus bridge in Selma, AL. He was a keynote speaker at the Wash. D.C. march with MLK. He endured the dogs, hoses, and beatings from police for his stand(s). And he did this when he was in his twenties.

The ceremony was pretty simple. A choir started things off on a celebratory note, and Sen. Bill Frist welcomed everyone in. John Lewis was introduced first. A short video was shown detailing his history and accomplishments in the civil rights field, including some great footage of the bus strikes, the marches, and the resulting police responses. Powerful, moving stuff.

After Lewis spoke, Bono was introduced, preceded by a similar short video (~4 min.). Bono's video focused on his work in Africa and debt relief. It started off with Bono introducing himself as a rock star, and had some footage from the Elevation tour. It interspersed shots of live performances and older videos with footage of Bono in Africa. I don't recall any pre-Joshua Tree video (mullet editing), except one cool 1978 black and white shot. Oh yeah, and there was footage of Irish violence, etc. Maybe someone else can remember a lot more about the video.

Anyway, Bono spoke for probably 10-12 minutes, mostly rallying people around the AIDS/debt relief issue. I have to say that it was really powerful, and I think he resonated with the crowd, probably winning some fans. I must also say that this was NOT a crowd full of U2 fans, and I was amazed at how he had them enrapt soon after he started. Bono had them rolling at times with some unexpected (by most of the crowd, at least) humor, and I think everyone could see the fact that he was humbled to be recognized in the presence of many who had been associates of Dr. King.

At one point, Bono spoke of visiting the National Civil Rights Museum Monday afternoon, and being taken to the place at the Lorraine Motel where Dr. King was shot. Bono had the opportunity to talk with one close associate (can't remember who) who was with MLK during those last few hours of his life. Also, toward the end, Bono was referencing some of MLK's speeches ("Is there balm in Gilead?"). Things got quiet (including Bono's voice) and I could hear a number of people in the crowd joining with Bono in quoting MLK, or prompting Bono on what exactly MLK did say. I'm sure some of them had heard the words directly from Dr. King's mouth, and they quickly knew exactly what sermons Bono was referring to. That point stood out to me because it was clear that Bono had touched on a memory and words that were precious to him and to many in that crowd, and there was a reverential awe and silence by so many while he was quoting MLK. While the whole night was inspiring, that brief moment sent chills down my spine.

Inspiration aside, I was there to see/meet Bono. I knew it would be the best opportunity I would probably ever have to meet him. For one thing, they just don't play much in the South (Miami is not the South). Two, this was not a big fan-drawing event, like a concert. Music, the new album, touring, etc., wasn't even mentioned. This is probably the lowest fan-density social event that Bono has been to in recent years, and he wasn't swamped by fans after the ceremony was over, from my view in the balcony.
About 8 or so fans and I waited outside after the show was over. There was no hiding the exit much - there were about four black SUV's lined up at the curb with Secret Service agents hanging around, and Frist could only fit into one of them. Bono was the first "big guy" out the door, after about an hour. Unfortunately, he talked to one girl for about a minute and took two photos before the SS and entourage folks pressed him to get out of there. Everyone out there was polite and quiet because we all expected to get our chances to talk and take photos, etc. But when they cracked the whip, he was outta there. I didn't even get to take a picture of Bono with other strange people, much less me, ha. Profusely sucked, but I hope they'll be back to the new Forum next spring.

So... that was much longer than I intended, and still didn't do the night justice. Shoot with any questions, or fill in the gaps if you were there last night.

And if you appreciated the "review", feel free to return the favor with some BBC mp3's, since I haven't heard any of them yet and am breaking out in hives.

agentorange@peoplepc.com

Peace.

Here are brimcat's pictures for the non-premium members that can't see them...

freedom1-2.jpg

freedom7-2.jpg

freedom8-2.jpg

freedom10-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom